Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My First Kit WIP *UPDATED* Need Advice on Spacing

• 12 Replies

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
My First Kit WIP *UPDATED* Need Advice on Spacing
« on: May 16, 2016, 12:08 AM »
So this is basically all of the stages the armor went through, except the primer. The color scheme is matte black and dark purple.

Went with a simple two stripe design.

Used the vaseline method for weathering details.

Added this owl emblem on a shoulder piece today and I can't believe it came out so well. I really like it. A nod to the Nite Owls!

So, I am really pleased with the progress I've made so far. I started this process in January of this year. Still have many things left to do, like my leg pieces and back plate, etc. Let me know what you think about the armor so far.

UPDATE -->
Started to attach some pieces with velcro today. Spacing seems okay to me, tell me what you think.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:26 PM by nebulargirl » Logged
Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!
Re: My First Kit WIP - Check it out
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 12:49 AM »
Looks good so far.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:37 PM »
Wow.  Great work so far, vod!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Nice work Vod!  :)

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 12:04 AM »
The color scheme looks really nice!

With that being said we kinda need to see the plates on you to make sure your sizing is right. Last thing you want to do is get all your plates painted only to find out they are to large.

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: My First Kit WIP *UPDATED* Need Advice on Spacing
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 06:28 PM »
Added some new pics with armor placed on the vest. Does it look okay?

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 11:24 PM »
The spacing is a touch too large, use the rule of thumb. Which is you want about as much space between your plates as the width of your thumb. Also one thing thing you can do is work from the ends.

The inside of your collar plate should sit right up on your collar bone and the bottom of your ab plate should sit right above your belly button. Working from those two fixed points it is really easy to hone your spacing in.

The upshot is your plates are the right size from what I can tell which means you just need to bring them in a touch and you should be golden :)

Zarya Arthos

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 11:11 PM »
The spacing is a touch too large, use the rule of thumb. Which is you want about as much space between your plates as the width of your thumb. Also one thing thing you can do is work from the ends.

The inside of your collar plate should sit right up on your collar bone and the bottom of your ab plate should sit right above your belly button. Working from those two fixed points it is really easy to hone your spacing in.

The upshot is your plates are the right size from what I can tell which means you just need to bring them in a touch and you should be golden :)

Really great advice -- Thank You!

Zarya Arthos

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 11:16 PM »
Update 2 -->

Uploading this from my phone, hope it shows up. So I measured this time and moved all the plates. I think it's much tighter now. Also added shoulder plates and finished painting the collar.

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 11:19 PM »
Awesome job! That is some spot on spacing  :D

Look forward to seeing the whole thing come together, keep it up and you with be an OM in now time.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 11:21 PM »
It looks good, just need something for your neck. Did getting shot in the collar hurt?

Also the owl detail on the shoulder is outstanding.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 11:27 PM »
The spacing looks very good however I think if you trimmed a bit of the dog leg on the chest plates to be a bit more parallel to the tabs on the side of the ab plate then everything would be spot on.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 09:06 PM »
I know you were looking for a spacing check, but that's been pretty well covered.  Just wanted to say that I absolutely adore your mirrored visor!  It looks absolutely bad-shebs!  Great work on your kit overall; this is a wonderful build.  Oya, vod!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!