Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Late Crusader W.I.P

• 33 Replies

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Late Crusader W.I.P
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:45 PM »
UPDATE:

So I heard back from the app team, this kit will have to be a late crusader kit, so I will be making a few changes mainly to the bucket to better reflect that

It took all day staring at the last picture but I was able to work up templates (which I plan on scanning and share for other folks to use) but it all paid of in the end. Here are 90% of the plates, run out of sintra before I could do the backs of the shins and the backplate, so those will have to wait until tomorrow.

Plan on getting all the plates shaped and together tomorrow, then it is just a matter of tackling the bucket.

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2016, 02:59 PM by Naran Baatar » Logged

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Re: Neo-Crusader W.I.P
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 04:28 PM »
really good work vod :)

like the neo crusaders. maybe one day haha one day (A) and good job on the plates. following this with real interest. what is your plan on the bucket? scratch build or buying one? 

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Neo-Crusader W.I.P
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 04:51 PM »
Don't forget most Crusader plates have far more 3D shaping to them than modern plates.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Neo-Crusader W.I.P (Picture Heavy)
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:16 PM »
So answering questions first, going to have to scratch build the bucket as no one currently makes a neo-crusader shock trooper bucket, so that will be a fun undertaking :)

As for the plates, I have rolled the edges of all the plates inward a touch and beveled them to give them a bit more 3D shaping also going to back the chest plates so they have even more of a rise to them.

The goal is to end up with a very close copy to the last neo-crusader shock trooper reference picture in my first post, thankfully his plates are more on the flat side than some.

Anyway pictures of today's work! I got the plates all shaped, beveled, sanded and added in the 3d weathering effects.

Added another of sintra to the chest plates to give them a bit more of that 3D effect

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:30 PM by Naran Baatar » Logged

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Re: Neo-Crusader Shock Trooper W.I.P
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:03 AM »
that looks nice and curvy ^^ the third picture was my favorite :D so glad to here that you're going for that one. also the same colors?
a scrats helmet is always nice. gives you that extra bond with your bucket :D

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:44 AM »
Yep, same color scheme and everything.

My new flight suit should be here soon. Going to pick up the last bit of sintra I need to make the backplate and the backs of the shins made. Then it is is just closing the gauntlets and shins, mounting the chest and ab plate to one another and some fine tuning with the shaping and on to painting!

And I agree on the scratch built bucket, it is challenge I have been wanting to take on and this is the build for it.

On a side note lucked out and my wife donated this old tan belt that has the same ribbed look as the strap over the left shoulder, so that is a huge win!

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 02:07 PM »
Looking good vod. I'm looking forward to seeing you work on the helmet. There isn't a lot of shortcuts for helmets outside of the modern era.

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 09:36 PM »
UPDATE

So with the word from the app team, coupled with the fact that I REALLY don't like working with bondo. The kit will be shifting to Late Crusader and I am going to look into picking up an already cast Late Crusader style bucket as I really don't like working with bondo, just troubles me more than I like and the amount of sanding is really more than I am comfortable doing.

Anyway that is all for now

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:19 AM by Naran Baatar » Logged

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
Re: Late Crusader W.I.P
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2016, 08:51 PM »
So I order the NME Deathstalker today, so the helmet issue has been taken care of. I am changing my plate design around to match the overall feel of the deathstalker.

Anyway, the plates have been reworked, mounted, rigged and painted. The rigging system still needs some adjustments due to my jacked up shoulder/hip and I need to use a proper attachment system for the bicep armor and the knees and a small list of other minor things. But all in all things are moving forward nicely

Pictures!

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2016, 12:21 AM »
looking good vod! like the overall feel of the plates. are they a one piece so do you have to put it on over your head? :)

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2016, 12:52 AM »
Yep it is all connected, so I just drop the whole thing over my head and buckle it at the sides and go.  I did a similar thing with my legacy kit, but this go round even the shoulders are built in makes getting in and out of kit super fast :)

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2016, 05:33 PM »
Yep it is all connected, so I just drop the whole thing over my head and buckle it at the sides and go.  I did a similar thing with my legacy kit, but this go round even the shoulders are built in makes getting in and out of kit super fast :)

thats perfect ":D thinking of making my new EC kit also in one piece so much better with putting it on :D do you have pictures from the buckles and how you connect them :)

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2016, 05:42 PM »
I do not.

However I can tell you want I do. The way I build my kits is from the collar line down,  I connect the back and front collars together and then from there I build down in both direction. I layer my plates and then connect them to one another via rivets or chicago screws. Then in this case because you cannot use nylon in a crusader era kit I bring the chest and back plates together via leather belting and buckles so the whole thing sits tightly against my body.

Honestly it is pretty straight forward.

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2016, 12:35 PM »
np vod it works :D I think I got it  8)

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2016, 05:07 PM »
So I am done moving and have unpacked to the point where I can start working on my build again, my shiny new NME Deathstalker should be here in the next week, two weeks tops if all goes well!

With that in mind I have been busy working on a design that pairs well with the Deathstalker which is a bit of a challenge as they designed the bucket based off  of TFA design elements not crusader era elements which is the era the bucket has been class in. Anyway

With some luck and a good bit of digging I did come across two mando chaps that have spilt chest plates and I thought that would pair well with the deathstalker, so here is the reference image I jumped off from and the chest plates I have worked up. I have a Q&A post fired off to the App team about these plates to see if they will fly, as anyway that has watched my other build I like to charge off the path when it comes to kit builds.

So for the time being the build will be on hold for a couple days while I wait to hear back from the App team, but I would love as many eyes and feedback on the plates!

Anyway pictures!

The chaps on the right and left from the picture are what I am drawing from for the chest plates.

My design, still very much so a work in process.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2016, 07:01 PM »

Sweet kit so far Vod!  I'm just starting the concepts for a Late Crusader kit.  Trying to work out the details for the chest plate (less Rohlan) and a better backplate (currently too legacy looking).

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #16 on: Jun 27, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Well the funny thing about crusader vs legacy is there are many reference images where crusader plates look very much like they could be legacy plates. The general issue with the legacy era is there is only a very very tiny pool of reference images to pull from and by tiny I mean one comic book. Where there are a TON for crusader at the end of the day the only thing that really sets legacy apart from crusader is the bucket and that is only true if you go with the quad-T or the triangle T

Really the fun of building in the crusader era is the flexibility you have in your plate design. The general rule of thumb for crusader is make sure you have a reference image or two, to back you up and just keep the App team looped in if you are breaking off and doing something wildly different from the norm, ie: my new plate design 

If you haven't yet take a look at these two threads, the crusader era is a HUGE time period and covers everything from before the neo-crusaders, clearly skips the neo-crusaders themselves and then covers everything after them up until the modern time, it is a huge sand box

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=10377.0

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=12625.0

Karl Dha'Werda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2016, 10:42 PM »
Well the funny thing about crusader vs legacy is there are many reference images where crusader plates look very much like they could be legacy plates. The general issue with the legacy era is there is only a very very tiny pool of reference images to pull from and by tiny I mean one comic book. Where there are a TON for crusader at the end of the day the only thing that really sets legacy apart from crusader is the bucket and that is only true if you go with the quad-T or the triangle T

Really the fun of building in the crusader era is the flexibility you have in your plate design. The general rule of thumb for crusader is make sure you have a reference image or two, to back you up and just keep the App team looped in if you are breaking off and doing something wildly different from the norm, ie: my new plate design 

If you haven't yet take a look at these two threads, the crusader era is a HUGE time period and covers everything from before the neo-crusaders, clearly skips the neo-crusaders themselves and then covers everything after them up until the modern time, it is a huge sand box

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=10377.0

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=12625.0

Thanks Vod, I've looked through both threads and found some other types of chest armour to explore.

Here is what I've drawn up so far (the idea is for a late crusader beast hunter, first get approved and then make the minor changes for the brigade):

See the backplate, that is what I refer too as the legacy plates.  It is all on paper right now, researching like crazy and only working on few things such as bells and knees (hard hats).  The bucket is on order (Rohlan Dyre from Bigwater99).  I have to have a backplate for the brigades and I'd like to change up the chestplates (as I said less Rohlan).

I'd like to post more on my thread after someone comments, so I don't intentionally double post.  ;)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=116571.msg1593951#msg1593951

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2016, 12:41 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Tomar Laval

• I am a total Shiny but I'll learn.
« Reply #18 on: Jun 30, 2016, 07:11 PM »
I am totally going to have to read through this post.
I am currently working on a Ramikadyc which I was told is late crusader.

Good....Bad.....I'm the man with a blaster...

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #19 on: Jul 01, 2016, 11:27 AM »
your progress looks really good vod :)

I am totally going to have to read through this post.
I am currently working on a Ramikadyc which I was told is late crusader.

damn vod did you made this? :)

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2016, 11:52 AM »
So guys going to step in and ask that this W.I.P thread hijacking please stop here.

Choruk Kar'ta if you want to talk with Tomar Laval, please do so over on their W.I.P thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114265.msg1597174#msg1597174

And Tomar Laval if you want to talk to Karl Dha'Werda about his build please do so over on his W.I.P thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=116571.msg1593951#msg1593951

Thanks guys, just don't want to have things get way off track. When post and questions about other people's builds would make more sense over on there W.I.P threads :D

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #21 on: Jul 01, 2016, 12:40 PM »
Tomar, I'd suggest starting your own WIP in: Forum » Mandalorian Armor » Alternative Era Armor » Crusader/Neo Crusader Armor
This way people can give you feedback on your helmet other than hijacking Naran's thread here.

My design, still very much so a work in process.

Thanks Vod for sending people over to my WIP.  I'm sorry if my post got everyone else hijacking your thread.  Pretty cool, that we are around the similar stage of construction late crusader armour and only off by 67 OMs in our number.

BACK ON TOPIC with your WIP, what material did you use to design your chest plates?  The picture looks like a leather-like thick cardboard.  Are those rivets or chicago screws?  How is your backplate coming along?

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #22 on: Jul 01, 2016, 01:36 PM »
No worries on the thread hijack it happens and happy to send people over to your W.I.P thread, I am always happy to see more non-modern kits :)

The plates are sintra the gold plates have just been hammered by using a drum sander on the demrel the wrong way, the straps are just leather belting and I use chicago screws over rivets as it makes repairs easier and during a build just makes making adjusts much less of a pain.

I did get feedback from the app team in regards to my chest plates, going to need to bring the under plate bring up all the way up and close the gap between the top plates a touch, but otherwise things are moving forward. Biggest hold up is waiting on more sintra to arrive so I can make plates again.

I have mocked up the full set of chest and backplate in cardboard, just need to find out which box my tape is pack in so I can attach them and take some pictures  :laugh: hopefully I will have some pictures of the full plate designs up later today.

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2016, 03:59 PM »
I had a hunch the app team wouldn't like the gap between the chest plates like that.  Did you receive any additional feedback about the kit in general or did you just ask about the chest plates? 

The best thing I can advise is to have an app team member along for the ride on this build and reference, reference, and then some more reference on the ideas you want to do for this kit.   

I look forward to seeing how this one comes out and helping you along the way.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #24 on: Jul 02, 2016, 05:14 AM »
O yea damn now I see it :) wauw I'm so sorry. never intended to make this happen. I was just curious about the build :D so I know the solution I'm going to follow both these cool builds :D

great job guys keep it up :D   

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!