Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ammo/Utility Belt WIPs or Experts?

• 5 Replies

Talisman_21

• Planned Hunter Name: Apharek Tarsis
Ammo/Utility Belt WIPs or Experts?
« on: Jun 24, 2016, 09:58 PM »
So after another college hiatus, I can finally get back to work on getting my Mando!

Soft parts overall seem fairly simple, like a flightsuit and gloves. I've seen plenty of WIPs on modifying those.

My problem is the belt. I'm doing a medium armor build and I felt that an ammo/utility belt would go well with the armor, but I'm not sure where I'd start working on it, and what modifications would be necessary for it to be approvable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have blaster, will travel.

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
Re: Ammo/Utility Belt WIPs or Experts?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2016, 10:39 PM »
I have seen people use standard leather belts, actual surplus gun/ammo belts (leather or canvas), and even people make their own belt using leather/canvas/cordage. In general belts don't require too much modification. Try looking at surplus military belts online for inspiration. I know a lot of people in other hobbies of mine that buy gear from www.libertytreecollectors.com, but there are a ton of places to find good quality gear. Ebay is a good place to look too.

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2016, 09:43 AM »
Most people that I've seen use Mosin Nagant ammo pouches, Jango Fett style pouches, various found pouches, and M1 Garand type cartridge pouches. I'm personally going with the last option, although mine has a parachute buckle instead of the period-accurate metal clip, and no U.S. stamp.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2016, 10:43 AM »
If you want a cheap way to do it - corrugated cardboard, a bit if velcro, some pleather, glue and an old leather belt...

I used the TK409 templates...
http://www.tk409.com/images/fett/ammobelt/tutorial/index.html

And here's my WIP - several shots of both ammo and girth belts in progress over the course of the posts...

(Halfway down this post and from there on - I clearly was making loads of progress between posts!)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93907.msg1472053#msg1472053

Hope that helps!

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2016, 12:37 PM »
Leather, canvas or nylon belts are acceptable for club use.

A lot of people like the look of vintage pouches, although most tactical nylon ones are also okay.  You want to stay away from anything that looks too "earthy", although that's kind of a subjective thing.

You might want to do a search on eBay or Etsy for "leather ammo pouch" or something like that and see what's out there, and what's within your budget.

If you're going for something that is "in universe" the Rebel commandos in ROTJ wore off-the-shelf US Army surplus ALICE gear, which you can find dirt cheap on eBay.  Just stay away from the standard camouflage patterns and you'll be fine.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Talisman_21

• Planned Hunter Name: Apharek Tarsis
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Thank you for all the advice, I apologize for the long delay in response time, but I've been doing very thorough research and planning!

Have blaster, will travel.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!