Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

MandoLando/Ragnar Jast armor WIP (pic heavy)

• 12 Replies
MandoLando/Ragnar Jast armor WIP (pic heavy)
« on: Jul 07, 2016, 01:51 PM »
Hi everybody, I've been working on this costume for about four months so far, but I'm only just now starting on the armor. I'd like to get the basic costume done by fall, but since I'm only sixteen I'll have plenty of time for mods before I'm able to apply. This is my plan right now, except I'm going to the belly plate in black,
 I'm aiming for a recon kit, so here's what I'm using for comms pack
It's an old computer front that I started to make into a steampunk backpack type thing. I'll obviously be repainting it to better match my kit. I decided to wait to size and cut my armor until my sister finishes my vest and flightsuit, so the only piece I have cut and formed is my backplate, which I will be reforming some more

EDIT: Here are my shoulder bells, formed and painted.  The silver/gray contrast and the weathering both look a lot better in person.

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2016, 07:26 PM by Ragnar Jast » Logged
Re: MandoLando/Ragnar Jast armor WIP (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2016, 07:27 PM »
Here are my templates, how do they look for size? The collar plate's a bit messed up, and I think I should probably trim the ab plate a little, but I just wanted your opinions.

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2016, 10:37 AM »
The plates look a little wide but I'm no app team member so take that with a grain of salt.

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2016, 03:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I agree, I think I will trim a bit off.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Important update: I forgot to take pictures after I cut the plates out and formed them but:

I glued on the snaps, and I've been sewing snaps to the vest this evening. The vest is finished except for the shoulder pads. ;D

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Looks good vod, I love the weathering you've done  :laugh:

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2016, 10:52 PM »
Thanks vod  :)  I'm not sure about the amount of speckly chips, but I decided to wait and see how it looks all attached.

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2016, 10:55 PM »
I thought about that to on my armor but as it came together I was satisfied

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2016, 08:24 AM »
Wow, I'm going slowly...I should be getting good updates soon though. However, I've been thinking about my kit a lot. Basically it's very generic and everyone's seen pretty much everything about it, if you know what I mean. I think I want it to be a little more unique, so that got me thinking about different armor plates. My backplate broke (it somehow got a big crack down the center), so I thought why don't I do a backplate that doesn't curve around my sides, and then do separate side armor? Would this be approvable? Also, would thigh plates similar to the new Rogue One Shoretrooper be allowed?

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2016, 12:08 PM »
You would have to ask the app team about those thighs, and for the back I'm kinda picturing the the galaxy. There's also a guy who has a cap and side armor that gives the look of a backplate.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2016, 03:52 PM »
You would have to ask the app team about those thighs, and for the back I'm kinda picturing the the galaxy. There's also a guy who has a cap and side armor that gives the look of a backplate.

I'm so sorry vod, I really thought I'd replied to this...thanks a bunch for your help! Now, I know I'm going super slow. Part of it is that  I decided not to rush my kit, part of it is that I'm busy with school and stuff and part of it (I really hate to say this) is lack of motivation  :( That's because of bondo. It's just so tedious,  and it takes forever. Is there an easier alternative that is easier to apply and doesn't take as much sanding? Thanks guys!

Taakur Beroya

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2016, 05:33 PM »
Don't worry about it vod  :laugh: we have lives. It goods that your'e taking your time and not rushing, and for the Bondo I know there is an alternative but I can't remember it. I would ask Bowfanny, he would know  :laugh: Good luck vod, if you need anything just ask  :D

« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2016, 11:54 PM »
Don't worry about it vod  :laugh: we have lives. It goods that your'e taking your time and not rushing, and for the Bondo I know there is an alternative but I can't remember it. I would ask Bowfanny, he would know  :laugh: Good luck vod, if you need anything just ask  :D

Thanks again for the advice and support, it really means a lot

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!