Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

HELLO! VODE

• 31 Replies
Re: HELLO! VODE
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2016, 02:20 PM »
i need help  i tried forming my boots yesterday and it just went bate to the organelle shape

this light saber was taken from your Jedi temple  during the fall of the old republic,many Jedi have fallen  to its blade prepare to join them -pre visla

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2016, 10:37 PM »
You made them from garbage cans, right?   Did you heat form them or just try to bend them?

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2016, 12:14 AM »
You made them from garbage cans, right?   Did you heat form them or just try to bend them?
yup and returned to its organelle sate

this light saber was taken from your Jedi temple  during the fall of the old republic,many Jedi have fallen  to its blade prepare to join them -pre visla

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2016, 12:36 AM »
I know that not all plastics can be heat formed, but I'm not too familiar with working in plastic.  I'll ping a couple people and see if we can get you some help.  Fairly certain that people have had good luck on the cheap by using 5-gallon buckets like this one if the material they used in the garbage can won't stay put.  Hang tight a couple days, I'll see what we can pull together for you.

I don't suppose you have a link to the exact trash can you used so i can look up the material?

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2016, 03:41 PM »
I'm not the most knowledgable person in terms of plastics and chemistry, But i do know that those garbage cans are definitely a different plastic compared to the 5 gallon buckets... I haven't worked with the type of plastic that's used in what you bought but:

Two things I've learned about heat shaping plastics...

Temperature is your friend, I find most people don't use enough heat when they're first starting with armor shaping, making it hard for the plastic to retain it's new shape

Getting the plastic to keep its shape usually also requires you to hold the plastic in the intended shape while it cools. Often times, if a shape isn't being held, it's because I've let go of the plastic too early, and the shape is lost slightly as the plastic continues to cool.

Hopefully someone on here can give better input on your particular plastic... I only use PVC and ABS (cheap and readily available)

« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2016, 04:55 PM »
I'm not the most knowledgable person in terms of plastics and chemistry, But i do know that those garbage cans are definitely a different plastic compared to the 5 gallon buckets... I haven't worked with the type of plastic that's used in what you bought but:

Two things I've learned about heat shaping plastics...

Temperature is your friend, I find most people don't use enough heat when they're first starting with armor shaping, making it hard for the plastic to retain it's new shape

Getting the plastic to keep its shape usually also requires you to hold the plastic in the intended shape while it cools. Often times, if a shape isn't being held, it's because I've let go of the plastic too early, and the shape is lost slightly as the plastic continues to cool.

Hopefully someone on here can give better input on your particular plastic... I only use PVC and ABS (cheap and readily available)

when i did it  it was completely cool and it returned to its origanal shape but i will wait tell zophar gets back to me been doing a iron man  to impress a girl that i like  ;)

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2016, 02:20 PM »
Good to see some new names on here, welcome. My best guess is it a low density polyethylene. Its got really good heat resistance so I don't think it'll go very easily. Maybe check the bottom of the indoor garbage cans

« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2016, 03:01 PM »
Good to see some new names on here, welcome. My best guess is it a low density polyethylene. Its got really good heat resistance so I don't think it'll go very easily. Maybe check the bottom of the indoor garbage cans

i did have a link to the can i used

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2016, 03:47 PM »
i did have a link to the can i used

Unfortunately the link doens say what type of plastic it is, but usually theres a stamp or a raised logo on the bottom that shows the plastic type.

« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Unfortunately the link doens say what type of plastic it is, but usually theres a stamp or a raised logo on the bottom that shows the plastic type.
ok i'll check

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2016, 06:28 PM »
Funny enough I couldn't find any online sources that tell what kind of plastic these cans are made of, I am pretty sure most rubbermaid products are the same material

« Reply #27 on: Jul 29, 2016, 06:39 PM »
Funny enough I couldn't find any online sources that tell what kind of plastic these cans are made of, I am pretty sure most rubbermaid products are the same material

there a type 4 plaastic

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #28 on: Jul 29, 2016, 07:24 PM »
Looks like it's LDPE, which is a thermoplastic... I have no experience with it though... I'm in class right now, but I'll do a little digging tonight when I get home.

Worst case scenario I have some spare 6mm Sintra I can lend you to get you started.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #29 on: Jul 30, 2016, 02:04 AM »
My original plan was to use tote bins, so I've done some research on working with these kinda things (though that was a while ago). From what I remember the best thing you could do was use a high grit sandpaper and go at both surfaces to take off a coating of some sort that supposedly can give you trouble when shaping. Then it seems like the best way to heat it up was to dip the plates in boiling water for a couple minutes, pull them out and shape them, then dunk them in ice water to shock them into retaining their new shape. I've heard of people then sticking them in the freezer to further help in the shock phase.

Make sure you have someone to help you if you plan to use boiling water! There is a serious risk of burns! If you can, it may be a good idea to take Gnar-Gnar up on his sintra offer.

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!