Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The unknowns softparts

• 67 Replies
Re: The unknowns softparts
« Reply #25 on: Aug 08, 2016, 03:07 AM »

I've been wanting to do that too, but can't think of how. You got any ideas?
I haven't experimented with anything yet, only thought of it before I went to bed
Might try something after work in the morning if I can get around to it
Stay tuned

I am thinking of using pva glue, dirt, and paint
Mix the paint ( acrylic) with the pva, what ever colour you're after, maybe do brown, some orange, some creamy colour. I'm choosing those colours as that's what's around my joint. I can experiment abit, but won't be complete until the toe spikes are added, I don't have these yet.....need to save lunch money

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2016, 03:49 AM by The Unknown Mando » Logged

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Aug 08, 2016, 05:11 AM »
I haven't experimented with anything yet, only thought of it before I went to bed
Might try something after work in the morning if I can get around to it
Stay tuned

I am thinking of using pva glue, dirt, and paint
Mix the paint ( acrylic) with the pva, what ever colour you're after, maybe do brown, some orange, some creamy colour. I'm choosing those colours as that's what's around my joint. I can experiment abit, but won't be complete until the toe spikes are added, I don't have these yet.....need to save lunch money

glue mixed with dirt. I've seen it done with models and such but not with large scale costumes. you'd need a glue that flexes and won't come off easily. I'd try some E6000 and dirt or sand. see how it holds up to being moved around, washed all that jazz. Of course use scrap fabric or for shoes pick up a pair from goodwill and test it on those first.

« Reply #27 on: Aug 08, 2016, 05:34 AM »

glue mixed with dirt. I've seen it done with models and such but not with large scale costumes. you'd need a glue that flexes and won't come off easily. I'd try some E6000 and dirt or sand. see how it holds up to being moved around, washed all that jazz. Of course use scrap fabric or for shoes pick up a pair from goodwill and test it on those first.
Thanks vids, I was only thinking around the front area, around toe spikes, smallish area and not much flex at all, main thing I was thinking about would be water breaking it down
I've never seen E6000 before, what's that like

Wore boot outside in some mud to get an idea, scraped some off....more clay than anything

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2016, 06:10 AM by The Unknown Mando » Logged

Jaxor

« Reply #28 on: Aug 09, 2016, 11:18 PM »
Thanks vod, may add it patches of dark and light, I plan on toe spikes, weather those, and thinking of adding some chunks of dirt / mud to the area
Also thanks for teaching me a new word

Yeah, lots of vacationing in Virginia when I was younger (extended family).  You find it a lot everywhere.  It's a good desert/muddy look without being traditional.

« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2016, 04:35 AM »
Yeah, lots of vacationing in Virginia when I was younger (extended family).  You find it a lot everywhere.  It's a good desert/muddy look without being traditional.
I'm trying for that little bit different look, just a little bit though. Will be tricky getting it to look right. I think going more a clay look will be easier than adding dry lumpy dirt. Just need the balance between enough and too much.
Need to mist more orange and light brown

« Reply #30 on: Aug 13, 2016, 12:33 AM »
Bit more added to boot, the paint and glue and dirt seemed to work well

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #31 on: Aug 15, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Fantastic work vod!  8)

« Reply #32 on: Aug 15, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Thanks a lot vod, I better work on the other shoe now, source some toe spikes and finish these

SgtSouth

• poodoo, that didnt go as planned
« Reply #33 on: Aug 29, 2016, 06:55 PM »
Excellent posts, a lot of good info! Wish I had some skill with an air brush.

In your OP, you mention possibly using battery acid to weather your cape. Just wanted to make sure that you know not to throw that into a newer washing machine when your done. I'm a mechanic,  and I've had to replace seals in my washer from the acid in my clothes. Makes the old lady kinda pissy...

« Reply #34 on: Aug 30, 2016, 02:14 AM »
Excellent posts, a lot of good info! Wish I had some skill with an air brush.

In your OP, you mention possibly using battery acid to weather your cape. Just wanted to make sure that you know not to throw that into a newer washing machine when your done. I'm a mechanic,  and I've had to replace seals in my washer from the acid in my clothes. Makes the old lady kinda pissy...

Thanks for the info vod, I hadn't thought about that, was thinking about leaving it outside in rain and sun. Probably give it a few washes first though. Still waiting for it to arrive
Using an airbrush for this stuff isn't that hard vod, a lot easier than it looks

« Reply #35 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:35 AM »
Small update, I attached my toe spikes to my boots quickly with some self tappers. It's not final as the self tappers are styled for countersinking, as don't have a tool to countersink the toe spikes I'll use something else.
Also thinking of using an insert going into the sole, then screw into that

Other boot needs more weathering, and fake mud added to both spikes

« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2016, 03:56 AM by The Unknown Mando » Logged
« Reply #36 on: Oct 02, 2016, 01:30 AM »
Applying some mud and grit to the toe spikes

« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2017, 02:30 AM »
Been ages since I've done anything on these parts. Only progress I've made is part the other shoe, add dirt etc, just need to add alittle extra to them....maybe on weekend
Got a belated Xmas gift today

I'll have to decide on colour now....journeyman red? Yellow or purple? Or brown

« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:00 AM »

Here's the boots dirtied up

« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2017, 02:23 PM »
Current colour of girthbelt, only colour used so far is wine, have to find some brown, or red, or purple to add to it

« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2017, 04:19 AM »
Current colour of girth, still abit light

« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:12 PM »
I'd washed my flightsuit and a lot of the weathering faded, I applied it again, I'd throw in dryer or iron, prob was again and reapply just to get a few different layers, colours
At moment the left wrist is a bit dark but that'll fade a bit

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2017, 12:11 AM »
Love your weathering vod! Really like how everything is intentional and thought out, gives it a step up. :D

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2017, 12:59 AM »
Love your weathering vod! Really like how everything is intentional and thought out, gives it a step up. :D
Thanks vod, it's all in the layers. Washed out, faded colours, new stains, different colours all add depth. I used black and brown show polish, Payne grey acrylic, some dark brown acrylic and a mix of peach and sand colour acrylic
Before I'd used black shoe polish, brown acrylic paint and some orange acrylic
I really like the "paynes grey", it has some bluish tinge which suits my flightsuit, and it has a bit of an oily look

« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:22 AM »
Really haven't done anything at all for abit.........But tonight I'm trying to darken my girthbelt, I'm adding scarlet red to the mix. I had already had the dye there so thought bugger it I'll give it a go. If that doesn't work I'll use so other stuff.....paint, coffee grounds or wood stain

« Reply #45 on: Feb 27, 2017, 05:52 PM »
G'day all, the attempt at dying my girthbelt darker failed.....think I'll have to try some other approach next time

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #46 on: Feb 27, 2017, 07:18 PM »
i've heard some folks use woodstain but i don't know how good it works. rit do a line of dyes for synthetics. ;)

« Reply #47 on: Feb 27, 2017, 07:49 PM »
i've heard some folks use woodstain but i don't know how good it works. rit do a line of dyes for synthetics. ;)
Thanks mate, I did see some synthetic dye at the shop, I was thinking the girthbelt was a mix of natural and synthetic materials. I have seen a mahogany wood stain I thought may work, a lot more expensive though
Think I'll try the synthetic for the next experiment.....red again
I'll try grab some tomorrow, I still need to lighten the weathering on left sleeve as well

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #48 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have the same girth belt.  So far it has resisted both coffee and wood stain dye attempts.  Paint is going to be my next attempt.  If that still doesn't work, I'll just get a sash to wear beneath my ammo belt.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46
« Reply #49 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Been awhile since I looked at this, here's the colour, no real change

Close up showing colour

You can see there's threads that have taken colour and threads that are still the original colour

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!