Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Gauntlet build, vibroblade and trauma plates added

• 24 Replies
Greetings vode, I have begun work on my first pair of gaunts, and I thought that I would go to the toilet brush holder route. I found a few different ones at Target, and I'm trying to plan out the direction that I want the build to go.

This deals mainly with the left gaunt, which will be somewhat oversized compared to the right-hand one. The general fastening and other techniques will be applied to both gauntlets.

To start with the plan is to slip the white cylinder over the clear cylinder, then trim and detail. As it is, right now the inner part of the gaunt fits fine over my arm and flightsuit. Below you see both separate and put together:

Now, the first big decision I need to make is to decide whether or not the slip-on style is what I am going with, and if not, which method should I use.

The outer layer will have cutouts and cutaways, and be fastened to the inner layer. The inner layer of course will be trimmed and painted, and you can see some rough outlines I have already sketched on both pieces.

I can think of a couple other ways aside from slip on:

1. Gauntlet is cut into two halves lengthwise, then hinged and fastened.

2. Gauntlet is cut again into two halves lengthwise, but the lower half is inset into the top half, and they are joined using high strength magnets and a tab+slot system to ensure flush, stable fits.

Or of course I go with the original, slip-on design.

Advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2017, 04:52 PM by Hiryu02 » Logged
"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

"Only the armor lasts" - RC 8015, Fi Skirata
OM#2184

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: First Gauntlet build, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2016, 03:48 PM »
Any of the methods you listed will work, but it just depends on how you want them to fit.  In order for a slip on gauntlet to fit, it will need to be a bit over-sized to get over your hand.  My personal preference is to use hinges on both sides of the gauntlet.  One hinge has a bike spoke in it, that can be pulled in and out easily.  It's a really secure method, and is pretty common in gauntlet builds.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2016, 04:05 PM »
Any of the methods you listed will work, but it just depends on how you want them to fit.  In order for a slip on gauntlet to fit, it will need to be a bit over-sized to get over your hand.  My personal preference is to use hinges on both sides of the gauntlet.  One hinge has a bike spoke in it, that can be pulled in and out easily.  It's a really secure method, and is pretty common in gauntlet builds.

Yes sir, I had been giving this some more thought and I'm coming to the conclusion that I may not be able to saw the cylinders in half lengthwise without shrinking the diameter of the cylinder. Which in turn might make them too small to close properly. I will try to do more measurements when I get a chance to see how much leeway I have if I cut them in half.

I also worry that usually I see a two-piece build with a bit of overlap between the top and bottom halves. Again this may not be possible considering the inner cylinder is already close to fitting just right. I think I need to sit down and really get a handle on the dimensions so that I can figure out if a two-piece is viable. Thank you.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

OM#2184
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Hello again. I ended up scrapping the toilet brush holder gaunt idea, as well as shelving the slip-on gaunt idea. I have been working on a different gaunt combo in the meantime. Now I am building everything directly out of sintra, as opposed to using something prefab.

Right gaunt will be the "half-shell" design, going over the top and sides of the forearm, and attaching to a flexible inner sleeve. This one has an extending vibro-blade attachment. I made a plunger/pushbutton type mechanism to be able to slide the blade in and out.

The left gaunt will be the standard clamshell design with hinges, top half a bit longer than the lower half, and the plan is to build up the gaunt so it looks larger and more armored than the right-hand gaunt. Basically, left is defense, right is offense. Here are a few pic of the gaunt. Vibroblade gaunt is much farther along than the left one.

Suggestions and feedback is welcome.

OM#2184

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2017, 01:37 PM »
Nice to see this kick back up! 

The push button blade is a very creative idea, that'll work great!  The half shell will be fine, it looks like it covers enough of the forearm.  Rock on!!   OYA!  :)

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2017, 09:23 PM »
Further question, On the clamshell gaunt, I did a test install of hinges with hot glue and I discovered that there needs to be a very narrow gap between the top and bottom shell on the outer side where the hinge is mounted in order for the hinge to open/close properly. Can I cover the seam with a flexible strip of material to hide the hinges and gap?

OM#2184
Re: First Gauntlet build, vibroblade and trauma plates added
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2017, 05:00 PM »
I went ahead and installed a full length hinge on the inner side instead of separate hinges in order to bypass the "open gap" issue.

I also cleaned up the vibroblade a bit and glued it to the upper shell, still needs bondo to hide seams but I did also seal some gaps with putty. The push-button works fine.

The left gaunt is supposed to look more armored, and I added on trauma plates and sealed the opening with styrene. It's supposed to slightly overhand the hand itself at an angle, and the trauma plates also extend past the main opening.

I also installed straps and buckles with Chicago screws and sort of improvised melting a hole into the straps to seal the edges to the hole to prevent fraying. The strap and slot idea was based on kathkandar's design and he helped me understand how it was done. So props go to him.

Feedback appreciated of course.

OM#2184

Kath Gra'tuur

• Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2017, 07:24 PM »
That's looking really good vod!

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Bes'uliik Clan -  Tennessee  OM #2107
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2017, 10:51 PM »
Thank you vods, (vode?) Yes, the heavy duty look is exactly what I'm aiming for on the left gaunt.  I'm glad it's coming through in the design.

OM#2184

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2017, 05:43 PM »
It's looking good vod.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2017, 06:55 PM »
I've been slowly adding greebs and detail plates to the vibroblade gaunt. Finally put a  coat of primer on everything to bring out rough spots and areas that need additional sanding.  How does it look? I have the blade masked off, of course, and some buttons, switch-like objects and a little comm panel added on.

OM#2184

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2017, 10:46 AM »
Wow vod, that is some fantastic work!  The greeblies really take it to a whole new level.  Keep up the good work!!  8)

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Thank you. Another update. I put a basecoat on the left "heavy" gaunt, again to bring out trouble spots and imperfections, and so see how all the various details looked. Like the C-bar, the raised plates and rivets etc:

This side looks a little sparse without the straps installed:

OM#2184
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Put a new, slightly different green on the heavy gaunt, and also painted the gray contrast area. This is what will be the final colors for the gaunt, and I just need to add weathering and wear/chip marks.

Using a different shade of green for the right weapon gaunt, I will however use the same gray tone on both to maintain some consistency, but will likely add also a red area to the weapon gaunt to break up the relatively somber colors. Weapon gaunt should end up hunter green, gray and red.

Depending on weather conditions, I should finish painting and sealing the full set of armor plates by the end of the week. Feedback welcome.

OM#2184

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!