Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

are axes permitted?

• 14 Replies
are axes permitted?
« on: Jul 27, 2016, 07:03 AM »
   the image i included is not it in ita most recent state, but you get the idea. I have this concept to have a battle axe as a weapon for me, but I am unsure if it would be appropriate for a mandalorian to wield. Could I have my blade light up, or is that frowned upon. Technically it isn't a light saber, but I could understand why it would be frowned upon. I want to make it look more starwarsy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2016, 07:08 AM by pheonix99 » Logged

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
Re: are axes permitted?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2016, 10:20 AM »
The club requires you to have a weapon of some kind.  Melee weapons are fine.

If it lights up, even better!

There are a few people who have acrylic blades with LEDs or EL wire in them that light up.  As long as it doesn't look like a lightsaber, you'll be fine.

Just a word of warning for all melee weapons, some conventions/events have specific rules about metal-bladed props, even if they're dulled, so I would go with a wood/plastic/acrylic/foam build (which will also be lighter).

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medic Brigade
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2016, 11:19 AM »
The club requires you to have a weapon of some kind.  Melee weapons are fine.

If it lights up, even better!

There are a few people who have acrylic blades with LEDs or EL wire in them that light up.  As long as it doesn't look like a lightsaber, you'll be fine.

Just a word of warning for all melee weapons, some conventions/events have specific rules about metal-bladed props, even if they're dulled, so I would go with a wood/plastic/acrylic/foam build (which will also be lighter).

My blade will be acrylic, the handle is PVC, and no metal other than hose clamps

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2016, 01:57 PM »
As long as it looks Swarzy, you should be good.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medic Brigade
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2016, 10:15 PM »
Honestly, I see no reason for you to not be able to use it.  I myself have a replica of the family halberd made from MDF and a 1" diameter dowel rod.  Dead blades are a thing in Star Wars (Ie, not a vibroblade, chainblade, or lightsaber.  For some reason, it really freaked people out in one SW book when someone was killed with such a blade.  As in, the fact it was done with a dead blade was the reason it was horrifying, despite the fact it was apparently a very sharp blade), so I see no problem with having such a weapon.

Hand me my thinking grenades.

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2016, 11:55 PM »
As long as it looks Swarzy, you should be good.

^This,

I'd recommend having a secondary option as well if you're planning on going to cons, some are getting strict with melee weapons, weight seems to be one of the things that put melee weapons in the danger zone for now being allowed too.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Thank you all i will have an updated picture tomorrow!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2016, 04:04 PM »

Here is an updated pic still have to install leds.

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2016, 08:26 PM »
Now this is looking swarzy, I love that angle you have on the blade. Those LEDs are gonna look awesome.

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2016, 08:44 PM by Taakur Beroya » Logged
"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins they should both have ropes around their necks."
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2016, 08:37 PM »
No this is looking swarzy, I love that angle you have on the blade. Those LEDs are gonna look awesome.

I think el wire will look dope.

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2016, 08:45 PM »
I will be watching intently  :laugh:

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins they should both have ropes around their necks."
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2016, 09:08 PM »

Tier

• Sometimes I'm hungry, other times I'm asleep.
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Check out the Mandalore with his ax, if it's good enough for him, its good enough for everyone!

Mountain Ops #001 Beast Hunter #013 M.A.C.K. Daddy #002 Mando-Tough #037 B.E.A.R.D.S. #100

Padm Thano

• #946 || "Pandalorian" || Spectre5
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2016, 09:25 AM »
this is mine. lights up, and is made of bamboo with acrylic blades with LEDs. i have glowsticks in the top & middle as well. it's a little over 6 ft tall, too. i app'd with this as my main weapon in 2014, and also with a small Westar blaster. as others have said, do try to keep it con friendly as well. but i like what you have so far, it looks pretty cool

& here's another picture to better show height

« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2016, 07:48 PM »
Thank you all. I will have an update here this week. Been some issues inhibiting me from working on this, but all resolved now :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!