Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sphyrna First WIP - Concept

• 4 Replies
Sphyrna First WIP - Concept
« on: May 21, 2017, 10:46 PM »
Hi all! I'm starting my first kit and I'm very excited! I've made a few changes to my concept since drawing the picture below, but they're small cosmetic changes.

Here's my first concept sketch. I know the proportions are off a bit, but I'm stuck on picking an accent color and graphic design. I'm hoping that will come to me while I'm building my armor...

So far, I have made a prototype helmet. I saved some time making the dome out of paper and covering that with duct tape instead of cutting that much paperboard. Good news is the pattern fit my head really well!

One question though, how far should the helmet extend past my chin?

I would love any advice and tips, this is my first kit and I'm going to need it.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:26 PM by Sphyrna » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Sphyrna First WIP - Concept
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:02 AM »
First off you'll need to use an image hosting site to link to (I followed your links by quote then copy paste, most people wont bother).

The actual concept looks pretty sound, you'll need to shorten the chest plates lift the ab and then lift the girth belt and ammo belt as they should be at the waist not the hips.
Best advice I have is to just start building - you may find an awesome fabric or leather in some colour and decide to use that. Took my a couple of years to finalise my design after a few repaints, some people try even more, some have a scheme set before they start - just take how long it takes you to be happy with it.

The helmet should extend past the chin just a little, enough that you can't see the chin from the sides when it's worn neutrally, but not long enough that it's extending further as it will start clipping the plates when you move.

If you plan to fibreglass, resin and bondo the traditional way (resin & glass inside then bondo outside leaving the paper between them having soaked in resin), do take into account that you cannot do that on duct tape.
I actually do this on purpose by layering the inside of my helmets with duct tape and resin & glass'ing onto that. Then remove the paper and duct tape and bondo straight onto the fibreglass.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:22 PM »
I apologize, I tried using my phone to post that and I ended up using the wrong links. I think I have it fixed now.

I see what you're saying about the belt and the plates. I'll work on reworking that area.

That helmet is actually purely for practice so I can understand the construction of it. I haven't decided on my method for making it just yet. So I really was using my shortcut to save materials and time.

Is Sintra a viable option for building the helmet, minus the dome? I'm still reading up on the different methods.

Thank you for the response Kris!

JrMint82

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:46 PM »
I made the helmet I got approved with a hard hat and sintra. Used fiber glass on the inside to reinforce it.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Yup, quite a few sintra helmets our there, bondo for smoothing the outer seams and fibreglass for strengthening any internal seams and they're pretty much good to go. either pepakura or hard hats/skate helmets tend to be the usual dome materials

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!