Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Xirra Vaand (Rookie Mando WIP)

• 108 Replies

Xirra Vaand

• If you ain't cheatin' , you ain't tryin'
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Xirra Vaand (Rookie Mando WIP)
« on: Aug 18, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Hi everybody! I'm brand new here and I've finally made enough progress on my kit to start a WIP thread. So far I've finished my kama and loincloth and I've got the pants for my flight suit (I'm still trying to find a shirt to use that will match). I've tried to post pictures of it here but it doesn't seem to want to work so I'm posting flickr links to them instead.
This is a sketch of what I want my kit to eventually look like.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140418524@N03/shares/G4W87G

And here's what I've got so far (ignore my stony face in these  :rolleyes:).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140418524@N03/shares/0RM51U

edit  Here's the pics without having to follow a link. Thanks for the help Karl!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:14 PM by skullstitch » Logged
MMCC #1760 - Mir'shebs #18 - M.M.R.S #4 - M5 #85

My  WIP thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=119407.0
Weapons WIP : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=120285.0
Re: Rookie Mando WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2016, 03:04 AM »
I think the kama and loincloth look good. I was thinking making something similar for my kit. I need to hide some added material on my pants.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2016, 12:59 PM »
Hi everybody! I'm brand new here and I've finally made enough progress on my kit to start a WIP thread.
This is a sketch of what I want my kit to eventually look like.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140418524@N03/shares/G4W87G

And here's what I've got so far (ignore my stony face in these  :rolleyes:).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140418524@N03/shares/0RM51U

You'll want to use the icon of the Mona Lisa photo to insert your images into this post.  After clicking on the icon simply paste the url link in between the brackets ] here [ with the words img on either side.  It will help others view your photos without going off site.  Looking good so far.  :)

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the photos. I've never really used a forum like this before so I'm not so good with the codes and such.

I've decided to try using a fencing chest protector for my chest plates. Here it is with the templates taped on. Does the positioning look alright? The bottom points are going to end up being about an inch shorter than the template. Is that going to be a problem?

I also found some knee pads at Lowe's that should make great shoulder bells once they've been trimmed a bit and I've taken the pads off.

I've also got a mock up of a blaster mod going. Does it look like I'm going in the right direction with it? It is one of those nerf mods that everyone warns against, but I don't mind putting in the extra work for it. I'm planning on adding a scope to it as well, I just haven't gotten one yet. Let me know what you guys think.

Karl Dha'Werda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2016, 05:01 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the photos. I've never really used a forum like this before so I'm not so good with the codes and such.

I've also got a mock up of a blaster mod going. Does it look like I'm going in the right direction with it? It is one of those nerf mods that everyone warns against, but I don't mind putting in the extra work for it. I'm planning on adding a scope to it as well, I just haven't gotten one yet. Let me know what you guys think.

Nice, glad I was of help for your photos.  I'm liking the direction you are going with this blaster.  I'd be careful with pads for armour components, you'll need to heavily modify it to make it look nothing like a knee pad (even if you are using it for a shoulder bell).

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2016, 06:43 PM »
The bottom prongs on the chest plates being shorter won't be a problem, mine are much shorter than normal, just remember to cut the ab plate to fill in the gaps.

For the shoulders, remove the pads as you said, and ensure that the trimming includes the edge section that attaches to the pad as that's the most obvious part. Once they're off it's plain enough that it should be unrecognisable once painted up.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2016, 01:26 AM »
Okay, so I got my chest plates and chest diamond cut out of the chest protector and I trimmed down the shoulder bells. I still need to bondo the ventilation holes in the chest plates.

Malam Pempure

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2016, 11:07 AM »
Nice. It's looken good. Can't wait to see it all put together.

Malam Pempure
Hunter of the night

MMCC # 1488
RL- Jedi
DZ-17866

Xundor Wrex

• No, I'm Jango's friend...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2016, 11:23 AM »
Interesting choice for the shoulder bells, but they look great! Good job!

Si vis pacem, Para bellum

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2016, 12:27 PM »

Nice, those shoulder bells turned out great.  It will be even cooler looking when painted up.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Eitanya

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2016, 04:26 PM »
I love how this is coming together so far! 

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2016, 09:42 PM »
Love the initial design and colors. Really excited to see how you pull it together!

E.M.T.S. #1 ~ Founder ~ Glitter Faerie In Chief

Get Elegant: Join the Elegant Mando's Tea Society

Official Invasions: 67

Various upgrades and whatnot

Dral Kar'ta (Dar's GlitterHeart)

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2016, 02:06 AM »
Watching with interest. The shoulders are a unique mod that I believe will work awesome.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Thanks guys! I paid a visit to the awesome guys at Kamino Outpost and they were a big help. Also they made me heavy duty knees! Thanks fellas!

I also finally got my sintra, and got a collar plate and ab plate cut out. I think I may have screwed up the collar though. I think I trimmed it too much.

I also finished my vest and found some pretty sweet gloves.

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2016, 08:54 PM »
Collar may be a little thin, ab may be a little big. If necessary - you can take some off the ab and layer the collar with the offcut.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2016, 03:17 PM »
So, I redid the collar plate and trimmed the ab plate a bit. I also made an extra plate to fill the gap between my collar plate and chest plates. I did a test fit of all of it with my vest. Does the spacing look ok?

« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Brilliant use of a chest protector! 

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2016, 11:09 PM »
Spacing needs a bit of tweaking here and there. If the chest plates have to be that close together then the collar plates should reflect the same spacing. Personally, the spacing between the collar plates look spot on and I'd replicate that in the chest plates. It could mean moving them further out or trimming a bit off, just whatever works for your body. And besides the left side of the ab plate drooping a bit I think it looks good. I personally like a smaller ab, but it's all personal preference!

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2016, 11:40 PM »
Second Corriban's comment. Also, the ab plate looks a touch long - it should stop at or just above your belly button. It's a great start though.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #19 on: Sep 06, 2016, 09:23 PM »
I trimmed down the ab plate again and did another test, this time with shoulder bells! The ab plate looks like it's poking out a little weird in the picture, but that's just because of the angle and the tape not wanting to hold. I know I'm going to need to trim the shoulders on the vest, but otherwise does it look better?

I also did a quick test of a modified back plate template. I decided to try and make a 3/4 style plate instead of a full one to make it a bit more comfortable.

Bonus: blaster update!

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2016, 09:48 PM by skullstitch » Logged

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #20 on: Sep 07, 2016, 12:43 AM »
Ab plate looks better to me. :)

Looks like your back plate might still be a touch wide, though, especially if you want to go with 3/4ths. (Which are much more comfortable, btw)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kris Jasra

« Reply #21 on: Sep 07, 2016, 04:58 AM »
I'm with Aria on the width - mainly at the shoulder blades and the tabs are sitting quite far out from your neck.

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #22 on: Sep 09, 2016, 10:53 AM »
The blaster is coming along nicely. It will look even better once it is all in primer and it looks like all one material.

Interesting idea using the knee pads for shoulders. Good work overall!

Oh, and I love your avatar! :laugh:

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

Dala Aran

• OM #1641 "Slow is smooth & smooth is fast"
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2016, 09:52 PM »
Looking good so far. I'm looking forward to your finished armor.

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #24 on: Sep 14, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Well, I've been forced into a color change for my flight suit. I was originally going to do a tan/khaki suit but after finding pants that I liked I couldn't find a matching shirt for love nor money. You'd never believe how many shades of khaki there are! So, now it's black. I actually think it makes the brown vest and kama pop a little more, and it should look fine with my red and copper plates. Thoughts?

Here's a close up of the boots I used for this test. Do they look acceptable or should I find some less slouchy ones?

I also worked on the backplate template some. I sized it down and trimmed more off of the shoulder blade area.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!