Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ryi'nocks comms pack MK1

• 15 Replies

Ryi'nock

• What doesn't kill you, Mutates and tries again.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Ryi'nocks comms pack MK1
« on: Sep 02, 2016, 06:32 PM »
So, I got a chance to crack on with my backpack today. However, I had to change my plans a bit. As my original design had a maglock built into it, but apparently the one I was gonna get is now out of stock as well as the 12v battery. So, I decided to put that project on hold and build a comms pack instead as I got soooooooo many greeblies from work this last week I just had to use them :3

So. Started off with building a wooden frame for support and rigidity, then started on making my sides. As I have an Extremely large supply of 3mm foamex I just used that and build it up with layers to make it thicker and stronger.

Then cut out the caps I needed for my side details and glued them all down. Using an apartment key card security system and a broken lamp dimmer.

Stuck and nailed the sides together as well as built up the back. I also managed to get a hold of a small access hatch so built that in for when I add a couple of blinkies and flasheis. :P

Then cut out the top and bottom panels and starting coming up with ideas for what I'd like to add onto them. So far I've got a dishwasher salt thingy, a sds pilot top with an old toy stuck to it, as well as a PIR top.

Then the plan for the middle, started to bend it but got tiered so put it down. Using two digital thermostat things and a TV digybox.

All that's left is to fit it all together, fill it up with eproxy to make it neat and flush then paint it. But I need a nice rod thingy for my main antenna thing..... but not sure on what to use for it, might see if I have an old radio lying around somewhere tomorrow.  :laugh:

I do also need to find an attachment method.... as it will be quite heavy once it is finished :/
Anyone got any ideas?  :laugh:

LOB# 20 - - - MLCS# 25 - - - SPARCK# 15 - - - Clan Vok'Chi - - - House Bes'bavar
Build Thread MK1-3  - - - Build Thread MK4
Ne shab'rud'niO haar bes'bavar

Ryi'nock

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Ryi'nocks comms pack MK1
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Woo double posting :P

Next update.

Top has been stuck on as well as the front. Also stuck some of the details on, The black box thing and the thermostat controller aren't stuck on yet I've just used tape on them for show, I've still got a bit to do to them.
Half the items on the top need sticking on as well, then it's just down to adding more detail in places.

filled in all the gaps with some eproxy so will sand that all down when it hardens.

As for the attachment method. When I was in halfords looking for some eproxy resin, I came across those bike bag things that you clip in the sides.

The clips look great so I got them then ripped them out of it  :laugh: I also thought that I could reuses the fabric to make pouches and a holster out of it so it doesn't go to waste.

Also when I was waiting for the glue to dry on my pack I got bored and decided to make an axe out of a broom handle.

I still need to sand it all down and add a couple of layers but got the basic shape I wanted  :P

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2019, 02:40 PM by Ryi'nock » Logged

LOB# 20 - - - MLCS# 25 - - - SPARCK# 15 - - - Clan Vok'Chi - - - House Bes'bavar
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2016, 07:59 AM »
Pack looks awesome man!

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2016, 10:41 PM »
That looks great, nice work.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Fraserab

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2016, 08:12 AM »
Looks great im thinking of doing something like this eventually

OM #    Character Name   Forum Name      Clan Name       

1468      Da'Praz                    Fraserab           Vok'Chi Clan

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=86988.0

Vaas Zhura

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2016, 04:49 PM »
That looks sweet! I might borrow some elements for my comm pack!

For you are rust, And to rust you shall return
OM#1765 
C.C.P.H.H.M.M. #10... Sabes español? únete!!
M.A.C.K #49  
Draluram #14

Ryi'nock

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:03 AM »
Sorry for the late reply but thanks all.

Im back finally gonna resume work on this.
Just a bit of sanding left to do but its ready for painting.
However. It is now quite heavy and i need to somehow find or make a harness so i dont break my back. Anyone got any ideas?

Obalon

• My salvation is my weapon
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:53 PM »
Oh wow I like this. Nice job!!! You could use parachute clips on your back possibly and then put straps inside. Looping it around the wood blocks you have inside to mount it.

Obalon Bralor Valus

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:13 PM »
This is looking great! Keep up the good work

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Ryi'nock

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:23 AM »
Thanks guys

Oh wow I like this. Nice job!!! You could use parachute clips on your back possibly and then put straps inside. Looping it around the wood blocks you have inside to mount it.

Aye thats what i have done. Webbing with a clip sawed onto it and then threaded through the back and screwed down so it holds.

What i need though is, is to have some some sort of harness that goes under my vest to support my back and shoulders s

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Check out this link to The Dented Helmet, http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/rafalfetts-misc-templates-blueprints-47395/ and scroll down to "Boba Fett jetpack frame with harness rings:" I think this would work for your pack.

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:21 PM »
I'm going to be starting on a comm pack soon, too.  Might borrow some of your ideas.  But for the harness, I have an old ALICE frame I'm going to use.  Depending on the final weight of the pack, I may end up bolting the pack directly to my backplate (which is metal).  Not sure just yet, though.  The frame does have straps, so I may thread it through my vest and wear it as designed.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:15 PM »
Awesome work, glad to see another comm pack out there.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Ryi'nock

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2019, 02:39 PM »
Was going through some of my old posts and realised i never posted a picture of the finished product.

Then going through what photos i have saved of it these are all that i could dig out. When i get the chance ill post some pictures of just the pack.

The finished design with a primer coat.

Painted but without the blackwash

And then the only descent pics i could find of the finished product. Shame, no one seems to like taking pictures of me Bhind  :laugh:

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Duuuuuuuuude  :o :o  :o YES!!! This looks awesome. Very well done  :like: :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Anastacia20177

• Anastacia Anakin
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 04:53 PM »
I loved your work, thanks for sharing! your photos are very useful to use as a guide, greetings from Argentina

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!