Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Things that go boom WIP

• 14 Replies

Xirra Vaand

• If you ain't cheatin' , you ain't tryin'
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Things that go boom WIP
« on: Sep 08, 2016, 12:38 AM »
I've been working on my weapons a bit more lately so I figured it was time I started a thread here. First up is my blaster, which is one of the dreaded nerf mods that everyone warns against.

I started off with this

and have ended up with this

Does it need any more greeblies before I paint and weather it?

Besides the blaster I'm also working on a kal dagger using Syko Voss's wonderful tutorial. It's still in the sanding stage, but I'm planning on giving it a leather wrapped handle after it's painted.

I'm also playing around with making grenades. I've got a couple of EMPs in the works, but I also made this little guy.

I was thinking it looked like a grenade you'd stick on a wall or something. I realized that I was a dummy and forgot to sand off the numbers so I'll be going back and fixing that and adding some weathering, but does it look SWarzy enough?

MMCC #1760 - Mir'shebs #18 - M.M.R.S #4 - M5 #85

My  WIP thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=119407.0
Weapons WIP : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=120285.0

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Things that go boom WIP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2016, 06:08 AM »
Everything's looking good. Maybe add a couple more greeblies on the blaster to break up the side rails.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Vaas Zhura

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2016, 09:03 AM »
I love those grenades!
I may have to get some for my droid hunter build!

For you are rust, And to rust you shall return
OM#1765 
C.C.P.H.H.M.M. #10... Sabes español? únete!!
M.A.C.K #49  
Draluram #14

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2016, 04:50 PM »
The grenade is just a sprinkler head I found at lowes. The little arms move any way you want.

Vaas Zhura

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2016, 06:48 AM »
Freaking Genius! I love finding stuff like that!

For you are rust, And to rust you shall return
OM#1765 
C.C.P.H.H.M.M. #10... Sabes español? únete!!
M.A.C.K #49  
Draluram #14

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2016, 03:08 PM »
The grenade is just a sprinkler head I found at lowes. The little arms move any way you want.

You just had to mention where to find that didn't you... Now I am going to have to plan a trip to go to Lowes. T nearest one is around 1 hr 26 min drive...

Seriously though, great find and I am sure several of us will be borrowing this idea for our own kits!

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2016, 06:24 AM »
Lowes can be a treasure trove, if you go in with the right mindset.  Built two electrostaves from plumbing parts from there.

Going to second Torolf, the blaster needs a little something extra.  Off to a great start, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with! ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Finished my kal dagger yesterday. Nothing too crazy, but I'm pleased with it. I made a couple of chance cubes too.

I'm still figuring out what else to add to my blaster. I went ahead and primed and painted it hoping that having it all one color might help me shake some ideas loose. I did add a piece as sort of a safety (or stun/fry) switch. I have another one that I can add to the other side, but I haven't made up my mind about it yet. I know I'm going to do a leather wrap on the handle like on my dagger.

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2016, 06:05 PM »
Dat blaster do ;)

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2016, 04:25 PM »
I added a little more to the blaster and gave it a coat of black. I feel like I've just about got it where it needs to be, but I'm not quite sure. I'll be adding a leather wrap to the grip and obviously some weathering.

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2016, 07:20 PM »
The brackets down the sides give it a very unfinished look, and not in a positive way.  Cover them, remove them, or cut them down to size and fill the empty holes with thumb screws, bolts, rivets, or some other method of apparent attachment.  Also, skip the leather wrap.  I've seen very few leather-wrapped grips that don.t look like hot garbage.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2016, 07:28 PM »
The brackets down the sides give it a very unfinished look, and not in a positive way.  Cover them, remove them, or cut them down to size and fill the empty holes with thumb screws, bolts, rivets, or some other method of apparent attachment.  Also, skip the leather wrap.  I've seen very few leather-wrapped grips that don.t look like hot garbage.

I can agree With Some of this ..... other than the Brackets ... :rolleyes: I like um .. ;D

I think this mod over-all is Stunning ! !  :o

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:38 PM »
I am on the fence about the brackets, but think they will definitely improve with some weathering. I do agree on not doing leather wrapped grips, but that is my personal preference and this is YOUR blaster. Many like them and there is nothing wrong with that viewpoint.

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2016, 01:21 PM »
I added a little more to the blaster and gave it a coat of black. I feel like I've just about got it where it needs to be, but I'm not quite sure. I'll be adding a leather wrap to the grip and obviously some weathering.

Have to agree with everyone else, your grips look pretty good and shouldn't be covered up with leather wraps.  I've use them on a few builds and they usually are only to cover a mistake you made with the existing grips and as Cin Vhe'rang said there aren't a lot out there that look good.

As far as the bracket I'd say the other side looks fine, but the one seen above doesn't quite fit the overall look.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 63
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2016, 01:55 PM »
I like the brackets but I do think the right side could use something else to fill it in like you did on the left.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!