Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fitted spat tutorial

• 10 Replies
Fitted spat tutorial
« on: Sep 09, 2016, 06:24 PM »
This tutorial was something I started in my build thread, and I was asked to share it here in the general Soft Goods section  :D

This tutorial is going to be specific to making leather spats....for those of you interested in strait up fabric (different technique), there is an excellent online tutorial here: http://sidneyeileen.com/sewing-2/tuts-costume/costume-making/twolayer-gaiters/#.V9MDIE0rLnA

I also apologize in advance for half of the pictures being sideways....I simply did not have the time or patience to correct almost 40 pictures in photobucket.

------------------------

We'll start off with a material/tool list.....

Required:
  • Old leather coat (Goodwill is an excellent source for these, because you can get one between $5-7) make sure your leg fits thru the sleeves
  • 2 zippers  LONGER than the length of your spat (I prefer to use invisible because of the finishing step, however that is not required)
  • 1" Elastic
  • Thread (I recommend the "heavyweight" for working with the leather, regular if you are doing the liner as well)
  • Needle
  • sewing pins
  • scissors
  • plastic grocery bag
  • sharpie
  • duct-tape!
  • paper
  • seam ripper

Optional:
  • Sewing machine (Makes this a much easier project, your fingers will thank you)
  • 1yrd Duckcloth (for liner)

---------------------------------

PART 1
Making your Pattern

Starting off with your plastic bag, cut off the bottom of the bag, like so:

Go ahead and put on your mandopants, as well as your desired boot.  slide the plastic bag over, and hook both handles around the heel, like a stirrup:

Wrap that sucker up with duct tape!  Remember not to put it on too tight....otherwise your foot will fall off.  Or your spat wont fit.   Both are equally tragic.  Also take the opportunity to draw on it with some sharpie to find out where you want the top and bottom edges of your spat to fall.

Cut it off up the back!

Fold it flat, so it is roughly symmetrical.....and chop off the little triangle that forms at the front of the foot (save it!), and cut it in half up the center front.

Lay each half of the pattern on your paper and trace around it (red lines).  Take the 2nd half, and line it up with the outline of the first and trace (red lines).  They won't line up perfectly......you are going to split the difference between the two outlines for your "master pattern"  (black lines)  Make sure you mark where you cut off the front!  This is important for attaching that piece later.....

You can also go ahead and trace the little triangle (gusset) you cut out earlier
[imghttp://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/pheonix-023/Spat%20tutorial/0907161537_zpst1wvfojs.jpg[/img]http://Add 5/8" seam allowance, and cut out!

Ta-da!  You now have your very own, custom fit pattern!

---------------------------------------

Part 2
The Leather Outer Spat

Start off with your cheap old leather coat......rip out all of the lining!  Tear it!  Tear it all out! Mwhahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

And take off the sleeves.

Fold down the seam allowance of the center front of your spats.....since the sleeve of the coat is already attached there, take advantage of it!  Less work!  Whoo-hoo!  Now, with the height of this set of spats, I could take the triangle out of the sleeve, but this will not always be the case.  Dont worry, you have the entire body of the coat as spare material for those little pieces.

Now....you will find that a lot of coats have rather interesting patterning on the sleeves.  Don't panic!  This is actually a good thing....use it as bonus design points on on your spats.  For example, this one has some nice triangles that come down from the shoulders, so I lined up the point on the triangles with where the slit for the gusset is.....go ahead and seam rip the center front of the spat to where it is marked on your pattern.

Pin in the gusset, and stitch!

--------------------------------------------

PART 3
The Liner (Optional)

Now.....The liner is not actually required for the spats to work, however, I think that they improve the quality in several ways.  First, since these spats are make out of jacket leather, they are going to be a good deal softer than regular boots, the lines will give the spats the extra rigidity they lack.  Unless you want slouch boots....more power to ya!  If you don't have the tools, time, or desire to make the liners, no biggie, just stitch your elastic to the bottoms of your spats, and skip to PART 4!

Remember that spat pattern you made? Grab your scissors, and trim off the seam allowance from the top and bottom of the pattern.  Take your Gusset pattern,  fold it in half, and tape that sucker back onto the main pattern piece (add a 5/8" seam allowance to the "fold" which is the center front)!  Pin to your duckcloth and cut out 4 pieces.

Now cut off the other two seam allowances from your pattern, and cut out 4 more pieces of duckcloth! You should have 4 of the pieces on the right, and 4 of the pieces on the left.

You are going to center and stitch each of the smaller pieces to each of the larger ones around the edges of the small pieces (that sentence is just a mess)  You should end up with two pieces that look like this, and 2 that are a mirror image:

Taking one of each piece, line them up large sides together, and sew the front seam.  Fold over the seam allowance on the back sides and stitch each side SEPARATELY.  It should look something like this when you are finished:

Sew your elastic strap onto the tabs on the bottom, and move on to part 4!

------------------------------------------

PART 4
The Finishing!

Allright!  The part you have all been waiting for!

Start off by pinning your leather outer to your duckcloth liner, wrong  sides together.  Fold the edges of the leather over the liner along the top and bottom of the spats, and stitch down.  MAKE SURE YOU DON"T SEW DOWN THE BACK SEAM.  It should look something like this:

Flip the spat inside out and trim off any excess leather.  I would also take this opportunity to trim down the leather around the elastic, like so:

Pin your zippers down the back edges of your spats up-side-down (so it zips down to close, up to open)  Line them up to the edges of the Fabric, not the edges of the leather. There should be about a 1/8" gap between the center of your zipper and the edge of the liner.  I'm holding the leather back in the picture so you can see the spacing.

Sew the zippers on thru all layers, and trim down the edges of the leather to the "center line" of the zipper.

Trim off the zipper tail from the top of the boot, leaving about 1"

Cut out two pieces from your leftover leather shaped like this.  they should be 3.5-4" long and about 1-1.5" wide

Fold in half an sew on over the end of the zipper.  This serves 2 purposes.....1st, covers up the zipper remnant, 2nd, gives you a nice tab to grab and hold while you are zipping.

-------------------------------

Now, you can call it done at this point if you like, give yourself a pat on the back!  For me personally, I like to hand-stitch the edge of the leather up against the invisible zipper, because it makes a neater seam.  :P

Both of the spats featured below were made using this tutorial!

Thanks for taking the time to read this tutorial, I hope you enjoyed it and found it useful!  If there is anything I need to clarify, please let me know in the comments below, and  I will do my  best to correct it.  :D

Re: Fitted spat tutorial
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2016, 08:35 PM »
I have a question on what's allowed on attaching the caps I saw that you said you did a zipper but what else is allowed
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "caps?"

if you are asking what to use to get your spat on and off, technically you can use anything as long as it is okayed in the CRLs.  Zippers are allowed if they are concealed, and are my fastener of preference because it is easiest to get the spats on and off, and holds the best.  I have seem people use snaps, straps, and buckles in the past :)

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2016, 07:03 AM »
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "caps?"
if you are asking what to use to get your spat on and off, technically you can use anything as long as it is okayed in the CRLs.  Zippers are allowed if they are concealed, and are my fastener of preference because it is easiest to get the spats on and off, and holds the best.  I have seem people use snaps, straps, and buckles in the past :)
Thanks,and sorry meant spats don't know why it came out caps.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2016, 08:49 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  I had been looking for an easy way to make spats, this fit the bill perfectly. :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2016, 01:39 PM »
I ask this keeping in mind that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

While I understand the reason for using the thrift store leather jacket, can I use this tutorial if I were to buy leather from someplace like Tandy or Hobby Lobby? I don't know if I want to bank on finding the leather I want at a thrift store and once I get to that point I don't want to loose momentum on the build hunting for it.

Ni cuy' at gotal'ur wero

Literally "I aim to make problem" because I couldn't find a Mando'a translation for "Misbehave"
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2016, 04:00 PM »
Glad this tutorial is helpful for everyone!  ;D

I ask this keeping in mind that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

While I understand the reason for using the thrift store leather jacket, can I use this tutorial if I were to buy leather from someplace like Tandy or Hobby Lobby? I don't know if I want to bank on finding the leather I want at a thrift store and once I get to that point I don't want to loose momentum on the build hunting for it.

You certainly could!  The main difference is if you are using store-bought leather instead of the recycled stuff is how you cut the pattern....so when you cut off your duct-tape leg cast, you will cut strait down the middle of the back, and strait down the middle the front, instead of cutting the "arch" off the pattern to make a separate sew in piece (I only have it that way to accommodate the fact that the sleeves are already sewn down what would be the "center front"). Then just sew the front seam together!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2016, 10:43 AM »
ok I found an old leather jacket for the spats and maybe can convert what's left to a vest.

you think this ok for spats?

« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Since your leg fits through, your good!

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2016, 09:21 PM »
Awsome where did you put the zippers on yours?

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2016, 09:26 AM by Greydogtech » Logged
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2016, 04:37 AM »
My zippers go strait down the back (down to close, up to open).

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!