Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian Supporter - Bariikas Talgal V2

• 18 Replies

Bariikas Talgal

• Leave a legacy worthy of a song
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
Mandalorian Supporter - Bariikas Talgal V2
« on: Oct 09, 2016, 08:06 PM »
decided to actually start a build thread for my next kit. I'm going to go above and beyond with this next one so any input is valued! I intend on going brigades with this costume, both urban assault and demolitions.
 Let's start with the concept drawings

The things that aren't easily shown in concept drawings are the minor details. I drew my inspiration from Star wars Galaxies armor but I didn't want to copy exactly what was in the game but just use it as a guide while doing my own spin on it. I intend on filling that bandolier and belt up with explosives and other goodies, the left thigh holster will house many of the misc. tools used for breaching and infiltration. The helmet is one that I purchased from HSP (mandalorian operator) and have since modified to get a final product which I will then be casting (Already gotten HSP thumbs up.) The body armor was inspiration from multiple sources, but mostly after I experienced so much trouble with shaping of my original plates I wanted to change it up. On the back will be a protoFett esque backpack, with the large cylinder being an air tank. The air system will then run up through the back of helmet and into the antenna which will raise and lower with push of a button. It will also run through down to the left gauntlet to then be housed into a flamethrower that will shout (At a low pressure) compressed air. The electrical system will be mainly housed in the left gauntlet and control many of the fun doodads on my Kit. The boots will be of a clams he'll nature, expanding upon the original design of most shin plates. 3 seperated pieces of Armor on Back, top, and front of foot. Left shoulder will be a nice and large while the right being small and sleek, to eventually fit underneath a pauldron if I so choose it. For armor color, I intend on using a nice charcoal gray with a rich pine green as accenting. The green will further be utilized as I intend upon etching and engraving Zabrak tattoo patterns onto and across the armor! Think this about covers most of the concepts that I had rambling around in my skull. Let me know your opinions, what you think, or if there is something that won't work (*Cough cough* flamethrower *Cough*)

I will be sure to upload some pictures tomorrow of where I am at on the Helmet and start printing templates for custom armor plates here in the coming week!

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2017, 11:51 PM by Bariikas Talgal » Logged
Retired MMCC: #1608

Bariikas Talgal

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Mandalorian Supporter - Bariikas Talgal V2
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2016, 07:01 PM »
Figured I would document my progress on the helmet while waiting for the latest bondo work to dry! Picture dump,  ahoy!
The helmet, as I recieved it in all of it's wonderful glory! I knew going in that I would have to remove all the bits and doodads for the helmet to be approvable!

After nearly dying as I soon realized when doing massive amounts of sanding, i should wear a respirator and eye protection. The stuff... got... EVERYWHERE! I almost wish i'd taken a picture of it, but alas. I reinforced the inside of the helmet with Bondo glass where needed.

I then decided i didn't like how uneven the rebreathers were, so I proceeded to fill them in with Bondo and improvised a way to make them all nice and smooth as opposed to the ribbed hose style.
After getting some beautiful earcaps to fill the empty space (You have gotta have earcaps, man!!) on both sides of the helmet, I decided to keep the short antenna and instead cut into and simply glued it onto the helmet. (apologies for blurry picture... :( )

After much deliberation on the next tasks ahead of me, I decided that I didn't like the earlier ends to the rebreathers either and wanted to do something unique. I eventually cut those off entirely, before drilling a Hole and inserting and glueing in these lovely pieces I found at a local hardware store. (kinda hard to see...), designed to go from the inside kitchen faucet to a garden hose (No idea -why-). I then proceeded to fill the cracks of the earcaps, only to later learn.. bondo is a lot worse than using.. say.. spot putty. so much more work for such a tiny crack! I instantly regretted taht decision but I carried on anyway. As to the visor, I knew I wanted to fill it in to bring the visor in a tad. after attempting to just fill a small portion of the visor in where I needed, only to have it end in a spectacular failure, I decided a new approach. I filled the previous gap (which was only for reference and fitting) and filled the inside of the visor with bondo glass!

Eventually cutting out the visor to rough spec, and finishing where I desired the bottom portion so that I could finish the Rebreathers... I've begun the beautification process of the helmet and started finishing the rebreathers, and filling in visor better.

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2017, 11:54 PM by Bariikas Talgal » Logged

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2016, 02:29 PM »
Created myself some templates a while back, and finally around to tracing them onto the Sintra. Decided to try 6mm instead of 3mm, this time. The templates were created by overlapping and slowly mapping the Legacy chest plate to adhere tot he design of modern, until I had a look that I truly enjoyed. Sizing was all donw by myself (Really hard to tape it to myself then take a picture :P) After I had the 'master' template I then traced it onto another two pieces of paper to create two identicals as oposed to one being slightly bigger.! The Ab plate was just holding it up against the new master and slowly getting the right angle. The reason the Bottom of the Chest is angled is JUST because it's the biggest I could get onto one piece of paper :D

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2016, 04:02 AM »
Photos finally working again, good on you for making those mods on that helmet. Templates are looking good as well. There are also galaxies templates here on the forums if you want to mix and match pieces with other modern parts. You know the shpeal.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:17 PM »
It is I, the king of not posting Anything in W.I.P. thread despite how constantly busy I am! My plates have all been shaped and Cut. They may look long, but the Plates end perfectly, just above my belly button (The shirt is just real long.. I promise :P )

**Redacted** - Facebook was used to upload, silly me

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2017, 11:27 PM by Bariikas Talgal » Logged

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2017, 02:19 PM »
I bought my scrubs, and have been making my Flightsuit in spare time. I have a question, however. What is the best way to weather Black, without overly making them dirty? my first pair is really dirty, and I want to avoid it overly weathering them

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:15 PM »
I bought my scrubs, and have been making my Flightsuit in spare time. I have a question, however. What is the best way to weather Black, without overly making them dirty? my first pair is really dirty, and I want to avoid it overly weathering them
Brown or other type paints. A dusting of chalk, just something that looks like "hey he walked down a dusty road!"

QMU#084

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Brown or other type paints. A dusting of chalk, just something that looks like "hey he walked down a dusty road!"
right, that's what I'm attempting to avoid, that "hey, he's dirty... where did the dirt come from?" because dirt + UA, doesn't make sense to me.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2017, 02:54 PM »
I weathered my black suit using a few different shades of silver and grey, just lightened it in places making it look faded/sunbleached.
If you have the time leaving it out in the sun to weather (also depends on where in the world you are for this one though)

Other things suggested to me are sand paper for some texture differences. Also using coloured thread to make a fake sewing repair in a non-black colour, then rub charcoal or something to take away the "shineyness" of the thread. Makes it seem like a repair to the suit.

If going for UA, why not wear the suit and rub up against the corners of walls? Would be real world application then rather than the sand paper

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2017, 12:15 AM »
Thanks a ton hik'aari! Costume is coming together!! It may not seem like it, because I don't post updates but.. y'know!
The list for Celebration 8.

Helmet:
-Cast new one
-Finish visor
Body armor:
-Shaped, not attached
-Trauma plating template?
Backplate:
-Create/shape
-Trauma plating?
Shoulder armor:
-Finish 90 degree Bell
-Cut Opposite shoulder
Gauntlet:
-Templated
-Create
-Adapt Topper from previous Vacuuform
Cod piece:
-make Template
-Cut
-3D plates?
Shins:
-Design template
Boot armor:
-Templated

Flak vest:
-Wait for maker
Flightsuit
-Assemble Scrubs
-Hem and fit together
Boot spats:
-Possible workaround?
Girth Belt:
-Order
Holster/Ammo belt:
-Arrived.

Pistol:
-Assemble
Verpine:
-Templated
-Cut

And that about sumarizes where I'm at, I personally kind of... stockpile on everything and take it slow until I know i have everything then bust it out a Week before a Con :P

Requesting help:
I'm not entirely sure how I want to do my Boot / Shins. i played around with a Clamshell, making a rough template, but it seems really inefficient. Are there other ways to cover the laces on my Boots, as well as Tuck the bottom of pants in? I personally am trying to avoid using Gaiters but am open to anything! I have large calves with thin ankles. Any assistance is appreciated as I'm... kind of running out of ideas on things to try :O
Edit: My original design called for some more Galaxies inspiration, with the boots below. However, I am running out of ideas to execute this idea.

-Bariikas

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2017, 12:05 PM »
This is going to look so awesome. Can't wait to see that buy'ce up close.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2017, 01:53 PM »
I just have my boots under my fight suit and shins and the boot armor covers the rest. It's also possible to do it with just the shins and the flight suit tucked in, but honestly if your flightsuit is snug enough you'll get the same look. Close up of my boots for reference.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2017, 01:57 PM »
yea, my first suit has the same thing, but I really don't like how it affects my flightsuit. I have hi top boots, and am going to tuck my flightsuit into it, but I want wraparound shins.

I know, I'm picky! ;F

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2017, 11:10 PM »
You can always use gaiters as the base to mount the plates to and have them go around 360.

« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2017, 11:17 PM »
This is fantastic vod! I love the helmet design, reminds me of death troopers

Ne shab'rud'ni - "Don't mess with me"

Cavious kit WIP

Cabur Akaata #86
Oribru Akaata #18

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2017, 11:46 PM »
This is fantastic vod! I love the helmet design, reminds me of death troopers
Thank you! I can't take all the credit thiugh, merely modified a helmet

Im regards to gaiters, I'm towing with exact design. but am looking into doing something similar to this:

My only hiccup is,  don't want to have the strap running underneath my heel, to mske it seem like PART OF the boot.. if that makes sense? It's stressful, with orlando in 2 weeks! ;D

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2017, 10:11 PM »
update:
I had some down time while working on my blaster, so I decided to do the scars and souvenirs on Helmet. (I also needed the break xD)

I made dome antennae, one higher than the other. still have to sand them down and finish but I used a hollow tube and metal rod I had lying around. I used the handy dandy q Bond as recommended to me by my Alor. it's a fast acting superglue that reacts with powder to create anew instant hardener that has to be sanded down. great stuff!

And last but certainly not keast, my plates have been attached and stuff paced properly. Now.. to add my Trauma plating!

Flightsuit is made too, just don't have have a oicture. leather Gaiters have been purchased fromy a local maker. Made to fit my needs

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2017, 11:56 PM by Bariikas Talgal » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Q-bond... sounds like what I do with Superglue and Baking soda.

QMU#084

Bariikas Talgal

« Reply #18 on: Jul 05, 2017, 12:04 AM »
By the powers that be, I command thee! Rise, my post! :P

It's been a while (since i'm receiving a notice that it's not been used in at least 30 days) and i've been busy. Not really, not as much as I'd like to say. Pieces are starting to fall into place, my soft parts are nearly all assembled pre-weathering. Scrubs for the flightsuit, Half cape to go over the left shoulder. Kama and Loincloth are in the works. Vest is ready and has the plates attached via snaps. Balaclava is in my posession, for a temporary placement. Helmet has been nearly finished, i am going to add a few more scratches to it, but overall I am pleased with how it came out! Below that, I did a quick mock-up of how I plan on painting it for Colors. Didn't include any of the decals, as they're a little bit beyond my MS Paint skill level.

This past month of June, i was busy working on a helmet for a friends' kid who is really into this stuff. I made it, and used it as a testing run for new weathering methods and liquid latex which i've been hearing a lot about.

it's far from perfect, my first time doing the Visor the way it is, but overall I am pleased with it! I'm going to make a few more Mock-up test peices to paint and practice my weathering on. With the above helmet, I used a dremel wheel and wasn't really happy with the look. I will likely be switching to using a file this time, to give a much cleaner cut that I have more control over Depth of.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!