Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Macs Hard Armor

• 21 Replies

Sgtmac

• Peace through superior firepower...
Macs Hard Armor
« on: Oct 28, 2016, 02:33 PM »
So I managed to trade to get some sintra last year.  i wanted to see how hard it is to work with, before my good stuff comes in.  well I had a vest made, but it can choke me at times, so I went with something i cna wear without the vest and still provide a good look, and something I can get in and out of pretty quick for my medical issues.  I am still waiting on the helmet, but thats been discussed and is good, next though i need gauntlets.  im using commercial knee pads for now.  Im not tring for approval yet, im trying to see if i can make decent armor.  please, let me know your opinions.   
1st look

2nd when i realized nothing keeping the plates stuck, even iron on velcro to vest let go after sitting for a day, and the stic stuff let go of the plates.  So i though try a romanesque curiass. 
formed
fitted
finished for now

note for anyone curious  3mm  Sintra you can use 3/16 double post "chicago" screws with a washer.  im using 3/16x3/4 washers.  For 2 pieces of 3mm or 6mm use 1/4 double post "chicago" screws with no need for washer. 

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: hmm, maybe i should have posted here, not soft parts?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2016, 02:40 PM »
hmm, maybe i should have posted here, not soft parts?

Actually..........nope. This area is for concepts only, not during any type of construction. I'll move it to the right area.

Sgtmac

Sgtmac

« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2016, 10:08 AM »
Im thinking of a belly plate, maybe to double as a gear attachment point, similar to that seen on the Republic Pathfinders.  Since im a bit rotund, im thinking if i do it well, it could almost tie modern to legacy armor.  Opinions? 

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2016, 08:05 PM »
hello bud, firstly a quick heads up... should you decide to app then a flak vest will be a requirement. as for the velcro, most folk who use it use the sew on stuff for the vest and the sticky stuff for the armour. ;)

Sgtmac

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2016, 12:44 PM »
I had tested some stick on on the plates originally, but it peeld off.  which is why im goofing of with this idea, and the no flak vest.    I am in an armor limbo due ot the set I ordered, the maker quit, and then never refunded my money, luckily someone is picking up the slack, so im exploring ideas and getting practice in while waiting for the good stuff to arrive. 

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2016, 02:16 PM »
i've read in some threads of folk who add a few blobs of e-6000 around the edges of the velcro that goes on the armour to reinforce the bond. failing that a lot of people go with chicago screws.

Sgtmac

« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2016, 02:28 PM »
thats what I have now.  I like the solid curiass look.  so when I try version 2, chi screws vs velcro.   

Sgtmac

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2018, 01:58 AM »
Finally got some sintra to work on my skills, got to make a cod and knees.  ANd get a new set of gauntlets.  THe solid chest piece is working out well actually, decent movement, about same as current military issue body armor.  My Flak doesn fit, but have an alternate plan in place.   If i could make it to an armor party, id be even closer to done. 

Sgtmac

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 03:36 PM »
ANyone got any pics of thier finished Boba type knees?  not on the flightsuit.  Kinda like Ven shows for her new metal ones.  ive got the pattenrs but they dont seem to line up on my knees.  even my combat pads looked odd when i wore them.   Could i possibly go knee pad less. 

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Macs Hard Armor
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 04:14 PM »
I’ll dig mine out when I get home and post some photos for you.

As far as going without knee plates: if you’re planning on apping and becoming OM, then you will need knees. You can do schnees(shin-knee combo plates) similar to the sniper plates on Stormtroopers and Clone Troopers, but getting those shaped correctly can be a pain in the shebs.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Sgtmac

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 09:19 PM »
cool, thank you.  I wanted to do shknees originally, but yeah im afraid i dont have that skill, but thats what i want in the end.  theregular knees i see lots of front on shots, but its sides ,back stuff like that i still need to see.  I am gonna go without the darts for now. 

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 06:22 PM »
Sorry it's taken me a bit, but here's an Imgur album of my knees for my green kit. Hope this helps, and please let me know if you need any more angles and the like.

OM#1624

Sgtmac

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 06:10 PM »
wow i cant cut things out neatly.  Would yall recommend putting some sort of reinforcing bar across the inside of the knees?  The section attaching wing to the bell dont seem very strong. 

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 10:44 PM »
What I did with mine was I merged the three main parts into one piece before I cut it. If you are going to do them as separate pieces, then I would heartily recommend adding some reinforcement on the inside to give it more strength.

OM#1624

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 10:49 PM »
you could use another piece of 3 or 6mm sintra to re-enforce.   I know people who've done that for those knees, but I don't wear that style myself.

Sgtmac

« Reply #17 on: Jun 15, 2018, 07:32 PM »
How much leeway is there on knee and cod shape?  Im thinking of trimming the larger of the plates on the side of the Knee down due to my anatomical shape.  NAd im thinking of not cupping the cod ( i have no idea how to do it anyhow) and then having it Velcroed to the gunbelt hanging just under it.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Jun 15, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Loads of leeway on knee and cod shape. However, if you're doing the boba/jango style cod, I believe it has to have SOME curve going under. 

Post your concept and we'll take a look for ya :)

Sgtmac

« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2018, 06:18 PM »
my cod, im thinking velcro along hte back and velcro to the belt so its removeable for potty breaks.   

ANd how im planning to close my gauntlets.  It seemed to hold with6, I want it secure with 10

Sgtmac

« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2018, 03:06 AM »
Could I add some current military patches, with mando modifications?  My units were bounced around like bad step kids on deployment so we served combat time under a lot of units.  1st Mar Div, 1st Cav, 4th Inf, 2nd Inf, to name the big ones, and a few smaller commands.  We didnt earn our home command the first time around, but did the second.  But like if i take the 1st Mar Div, used the mando number 1, changed the stars to starbursts( think ComStar of battletech fame) would that work?  mybe my old 99th Inf since its just a checkerboard use it as is.   no idea if id use the 101st, 30th, 4th or 2nd patches.  Im thinking it would be on my right chest as like a service record. 

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #21 on: Jul 19, 2018, 08:16 AM »
If sufficiently modified so it is no longer recognizable, I think it shouldn't be a problem :) for instance, the checker pattern could be used on itself as it is not exclusively for that instance :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!