Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rebels jetpack build

• 10 Replies

Helix

Rebels jetpack build
« on: Nov 13, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Better start a new topic in lieu of hijacking the Quotar's one.

I have started some vector template for my build, and rendered some part to print.Not exactly as seen in rebels since it's an animated show I will adapt it a bit to "real life"  :laugh:.

It's sized upon Cmder Cody jetpack.

I was thinking of a cardboard build filled with expanding foam and finally bondo over all of this for the body.

------Update------

Template are ready

Assembling the cardboard

Start to look like something else than a blob of foam

------Update 2------

The shaping of the left side is almost done, I have separated the two body part for ease of manipulation, the main hull is already cut in 3mm sintra and waiting. Tomorrow I will start to work on how to put the pipe/thruster in place.

Thruster nozzle printed:

I may need to thin a bit the rear of the body, but I think i'm heading in the good direction.

Any feedback would be greatly apreciated.

Helix

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2016, 01:03 AM by Helix » Logged
My sales thread : Helix's lair

Quotar

• We can do this the easy way, or the easier way.
Re: Rebels jetpack build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2016, 11:17 AM »
Looking good Vod, just don't forget the trapezoid looking piece that goes between the pack and back plate  :D
I'm going to run a different route and use plastics and PVC. Though I'm also a tech nut so I have to add lights and maybe sound lol.

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Nice work. I can't wait to see this finished.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Helix

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2016, 12:57 PM »
Looking good Vod, just don't forget the trapezoid looking piece that goes between the pack and back plate  :D
I'm going to run a different route and use plastics and PVC. Though I'm also a tech nut so I have to add lights and maybe sound lol.

Your build will be awesome ! My electronic skill resume to soldering a led to a battery :laugh:.
The trapezoïd will be done at last once jetpack is finished.l

Nice work. I can't wait to see this finished.

Thank you Vod !

Ok, so I've managed to work on the left body part, come along nicely but still a lot of bondo/sanding then panel scribing.
I am under a kilo for this part so in total the jetpack would weight around 2.5 kgs...Still too much if I want to fix it with magnet, might have to do some research for doing a fiberglass pull.

Quotar

• We can do this the easy way, or the easier way.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2016, 12:48 AM »
Might have to do a vac form with sintra or hollow it out and use balsa for support struts. A few ideas.

PhantomEcho

• Never wound what you can't kill.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2016, 01:42 PM »
Looks really good! Helix will you be producing them for your shop or even kits?

Rebel Legion Membership Officer

Helix

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2016, 03:30 PM »
Might have to do a vac form with sintra or hollow it out and use balsa for support struts. A few ideas.

I do not have a vacforming machine, plus vacforming tend to erase a bit the detail like panel line.
But hollow cast with support yes, this is probably the way I will do it.

Looks really good! Helix will you be producing them for your shop or even kits?

Thank you Vod  :D!
If there is any people showing interest why not.

PhantomEcho

• Never wound what you can't kill.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Thank you Vod  :D!
If there is any people showing interest why not.

I know if it is at a decent price point I would order one. Otherwise I'll try to make one myself.

Rebel Legion Membership Officer

Helix

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2016, 06:34 PM »

Still in the process of bondo / sand / repeat . I will be satisfied when they will be mirror image of each other.
Part for the thruster are print, I'm working on how I will put in place the pipe now.

Things are moving slowly because I have been distracted by this :

WOF paper template outer layer only (220grs per square meter almost cardboard paper) over a skate helmet. Everything was glued from the outside then I put rondo in the template, put water on the paper and BOOM rondo helmet, I find it easier to work on bondo than sintra for this kind of work.

The skate helmet is totally covered by bondo because I wasn't fond of the global shape of the dome (like on my V1 in fact).

Teilyr Farsel

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2016, 08:22 PM »
Following the helmet on the other thread, and now I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the jetpack build. Keep up the good stuff!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2016, 03:02 AM »
Looking good

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!