Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Wireless rangefinder

• 4 Replies

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
Wireless rangefinder
« on: Nov 17, 2016, 06:08 AM »

Hello everyone! I just wanted to share with you my first successful electronic project (I normally get to a point where I don't know how to progress). I'd love to get into the prop/cosplay building world, so I started by electronics and programming, which is a thing I already have knowledge on. Never made a decent costume before, which you can easily deduct from my lame cardboard rangefinder haha.

This is a Boba/Jango Fett rangefinder, controlled wirelessly by two buttons: one up, and one down. It can achieve 3 positions:
-Vertical (starting point).
-Facing backwards, as Jango Fett does.
-Facing forward, with custom blink sequence (I have no clue on which sequence is the correct one, so I made one I like).

Transmitter has a "power saving" mode, it's on stad by until you push one of the buttons. Next thing would be add that for the receiver too. And then a channel selector so one Mando control doesn't move other Mando rangefinder  ;)

I'd really like to hear your feedback, suggestion for extra features and even suggestion for other electronic ideas. I enjoy building, designing and thinking projects, but lot of times I don't know what to create. So, hope you like it and I'll await your comments.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016, 07:05 AM by LightningLion » Logged
Lion's electronics corner

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIP's: Post-Imperial costume. Nite Owl helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Wireless rangefinder
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:47 PM »
That looks pretty cool. Have you tried it with a rangefinder heavier than cardboard yet?

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

LightningLion

« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2016, 01:08 PM »
That looks pretty cool. Have you tried it with a rangefinder heavier than cardboard yet?

Pretty sure an aluminum shaft will be too heavy for this small servo (iirc it can take up to 2kg on the axis, but I really doubt it). I have to find a decent one first and then a rangefinder.

--->> Sales thread

Keltten

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2016, 10:31 PM »
Do you have enough room in your bucket for this motor? Looks like you have some that I used back when i was still in EE. About 1.5 - 2 inches.

Ive always thought about adding in motors but found them to big. But then again i never really looked hard, didn't get far in EE enough to figure out how to get a motor to only turn a quarter of a rotation.

LightningLion

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2016, 03:38 AM »
I don't have a bucket because I lack the means to build one. Electronics on the other hand are cheap and entertaining for me.
This servo (SG90) is 22.2 x 11.8 x 31mm or 0.87 x 0.46 x 1.22 inches.

http://www.micropik.com/PDF/SG90Servo.pdf

It's a tiny servo, not sure it would be powerful enoght, but it was the cheapest and I only wanted to think the code.

This is the Hi-Tec HS-77B used by many people on Dented Helmet:
http://www.v-dezign.se/contents/media/hitec%20hs-75bb%20retract%20servo%20part%20no%2031075s%2005.jpg

Problem with just motors is that you just turn them on and off at different RPM. But servos have integrated electronics and position control so you tell it to which position (from 0 to 180º usually) it should move. Programing a 180º arc is just as easy as 90 or 45 degrees.

--->> Sales thread

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!