Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

brown washing question

• 5 Replies

Valek Zaton

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
brown washing question
« on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:15 PM »
Am I supposed to try and wipe all the brown off? or leave random spots for a muddy look?
The collar has not been washed yet for reference.

Cakes

Re: brown washing question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Depends what look you're going for. I personally like the used dirty and beaten look on armors so I'd say leave it.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:58 PM »
What you've got right now in that picture looks really freaking good!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2016, 11:12 PM »
Dirt and damage should be random. Here's my method for doing dirtwashes. Mix your acrylics. Dip the brush in water and wipe some of the runoff off. Smear the area down and give it about 15-20 seconds (maybe longer) before wiping off. Wipe off like you would be cleaning your armor.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2016, 11:24 PM »
Am I supposed to try and wipe all the brown off? or leave random spots for a muddy look?

Looks good Vod.  I try to make sure all the cracks and crevices are filled with grime/dirt, because those are the hardest places to get clean again.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2016, 08:29 AM »
If you want to have wandered through a muddy planet - then take some off. If you want to have fallen into the swamp on that muddy planet then leave it on :P
Main things to consider are that everything looks natural - so if your plates are caked in mud then all the fabric should be caked in mud. Feet and lower legs can pick up more grime than upper armour unless you've fallen over or been crawling in it. Some armour will get more damage in different ways - knees will get more scrapes from kneeling whereas torso armour will get more blaster marks or blade scratches as most people will aim for the biggest target.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!