Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

SWJFH-A7R pepakura build WIP

• 18 Replies

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
SWJFH-A7R pepakura build WIP
« on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:17 AM »
I am starting a build of the SWJFH-A7R pepakura file.  I've printed the file onto some pretty heavy card stock purchased at Wally World.  Printing everything took 30 sheets of cardstock.  The weight isn't listed on the package, but it feels about the same as a file folder.  I bought a pad of 50 sheets for about $5. 

It took me a little playing around with the app to figure out how to make it work right with letter sized paper.  To help those who come after me...  From the Settings menu, choose Print and Paper to change the Paper size to letter.  This changes the paper size, but doesn't move the 2D images around to fit on the paper.  To do that, use the 2D Menu and choose Recalculate Parts Layout.  Leave the setting on Manual and don't touch the Assembled Size values.  When you click ok, all the pieces will be moved around.

On to cutting and gluing.

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2016, 01:30 PM by rlobrecht » Logged
Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: SWJFH-A7R pepakura build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:28 AM »
Excited to see how this turns out.  For future reference though, the boards don't like Google images.  If you can, please host them on a photo site like Photobucket, Imgur (my preference) or another one... Then use the BBCode link to post the images into your threads.

rlobrecht

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2016, 01:01 PM »
Excited to see how this turns out. 

Thanks.  Its probably ambitious for a first build, but it should be manageable.

For future reference though, the boards don't like Google images.  If you can, please host them on a photo site like Photobucket, Imgur (my preference) or another one... Then use the BBCode link to post the images into your threads.

Ok, no problem.  I was hoping to get away with not having yet another login to manage, but I'll move the images.

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2016, 06:03 PM »
I never have to log into my Photobucket app. I do 95% of my forum browsing on the go with my cell phone, including uploading photos and checking messages.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

rlobrecht

« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:22 AM »
I made good progress on the helmet.  Its not perfect, but I think it turned out pretty good.  I used Aleene's Tacky Glue, which works pretty well.  I found I got between 15 and 30 seconds to reposition the piece.  I didn't take any intermediate photos, but here it is in all its card stock glory.

I already picked up the resin, fiberglass mats, bondo, and a respirator.  Now all I need is for my schedule and the weather to cooperate.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2017, 03:22 PM »
I've got two of the big bottles of the alleens tacky glue. I use the heck out of that stuff on my pep builds!

QMU#084
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:18 PM »
Is it possible to get the link for this pep? I absolutely love the style of helmet.

-L.A

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:18 PM »
Is it possible to get the link for this pep? I absolutely love the style of helmet.
It's stickied at the top of the helmets section in the Comprehensive Pep thread

QMU#084
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 10:12 AM »
Thank you

-L.A
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Great looking build so far.  Please continue to post pics and process editorials.  I'm building my own Jango Fett style pepakura helmet, hence the interest.  This will be my first full pep build (to completion) of a helmet.  Luckily I've two other pep builds to "experiment" with during the process.

Do you plan to use the "Rondo" method during your build?

Decisions are a powerful thing.

rlobrecht

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 02:47 PM »
I've coated the outside in resin and the inside in fiberglass + resin, but haven't captured any new pictures.  My bad.

I need a less busy weekend to rondo the inside and start the bondo outside.  Maybe I'll find a couple of hours Memorial Day.

What tools do I need to cut through the fiberglass?  Just a dremel and a cutting wheel?

Bowfanny

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 01:04 AM »
I use an xacto knife to cut the visor opening it takes a bit but the lines are cleaner.

QMU#084

rlobrecht

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Thanks, Bowfanny.

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Oya Vod!

QMU#084

rlobrecht

« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2019, 07:13 AM »
After more than 2 years of this bucket sitting in my garage untouched, I spent some time on it this weekend. Rondo, primer, spot filler, and so much sanding.  Lots of sanding to go.

Bowfanny

« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2019, 02:06 AM »
Welcome back!

QMU#084

rlobrecht

« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:22 PM »
Finished, mostly. I want to add fans, hearing aids, mic, but it’s basically functional.

Feedback appreciated.

Wearing

Front

Left

Back

Right

Inside

Val Sedam

• Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 10 official invasions. Family events Celebration Chicago
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2019, 05:44 PM »
It looks great! The weathering is top notch!  Now onto the rest of the Beskar!

Arqet Clan | MMCC #1856 | M5 #89

rlobrecht

« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2019, 08:03 AM »
It looks great! The weathering is top notch!  Now onto the rest of the Beskar!

Thank you.  I've gotten the front plates cut and formed.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!