Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kaitryn's WIP

• 18 Replies
Kaitryn's WIP
« on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:28 PM »
Hello all. About a year ago I started lurking about the forum and purchased a set of armor and a helmet. A local member has persuaded me to do something with my armor. Yay for him!
When I first got the armor I quickly taped it onto my shirt and looked in the mirror, and decided it was too small. So it sat in its box until recently. I made a vest and flight suit and taped the armor on again and I do believe it is going to be a pretty good fit. I had to make a new collar plate because the one that came with the armor was too short. I cut the new collar plate to a length that allows my arms to extend in front if me. My question here at the beginning of my build is whether or not I need to trim the outside of the chest plates to align with the outer edges of the collar plate. Are the chest plates too wide? Do I need to raise the chest plates and ab plate?

I am looking forward to becoming an official member here and will appreciate all the help I can get.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
Re: Kaitryn's WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2016, 12:33 AM »
I wouldn't recommend trimming the plates. They look to be about the right size actually; I'd recommend either making a new collar to line to the chest plates or adding a space down the middle of the collar to widen it. This option will allow mobility too.

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2016, 01:04 PM »
Kyra's right about the size. They look very good to me. I would personally suggest raising the chest plates and ab plate a little though so you don't have to make another collar plate to go between them, but that's your call.

Your shoulder bells also look a little far back, try rotating them a little more towards the front.

It's a very good start, though. Those plates are en excellent size for you. :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2016, 04:24 PM »
I'd go for trimming the chest plates, but only at the top corner so that the top length is equal to the collar but they quickly widen out again to go around the breast. That will also help with the uneven shaping at the outer edges of the collar which are flat compared to the chest plates which are curving in towards your body as it will be that bit of curl that is trimmed off. If you split the collar and move it apart then the sides against the neck won't fit as perfectly as they are now.

If the chest and ab can be moved up just a touch it'd be better - aim for a similar gap to around the ab and it's be perfect.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2016, 10:53 PM »
I also think the size and fit are just right on you. The easiest thing would be to just make a new collar plate, IMO.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2016, 06:43 AM »
I also think the size and fit are just right on you. The easiest thing would be to just make a new collar plate, IMO.

Depends where the shoulder joint is. Mine is close in to my neck and my collar plate is actually less wide than that and my chest plates curve in to meet it, any wider and I'd not be able to lift my arms. Just something to keep in mind when deciding which route to go :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2016, 09:38 AM »
There is minor forward movement restriction at the shoulders now so I don't want to lengthen the collar plate. I will trim the tops of the chest plates, which I think will improve arm movement.

Thank you for the help on getting the chest and shoulder pieces sorted out.

I'm trying to decide between cod piece or loin cloth, and back plate or cape. I have a cod cut out so I'll add a bit of shaping and see what I think. I think I want the back plate but getting a good fit sounds like it can be troublesome.

I still haven't made a final decision on colors. So far I'm leaning toward a mostly white with blue accents scheme. I know I would be called a stormtrooper but white appeals to me. So many decisions to make!

Eitanya

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2016, 11:43 AM »
Don't worry about being called a stormtrooper, we all get mistaken for random things (my kit is mostly black so I'm Vader occasionally, lol.) ;)

Backplates can be tricky to form by yourself but it's doable. There are several style options out there too, poke around our female resources section for ideas.  Looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:23 AM »
The outer edges of the chest plates have been trimmed to match the length of the collar armor.

I knitted a girth belt using two strands of cotton yarn. I hand stitched a piece of canvas to the backside to prevent stretching and rolling of the edges. There will be about a four inch a gap between the ends. I will probably use two lengths of belts with buckles for closure. Not yet sure if this will stay cream colored or get dyed.

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2016, 03:26 PM »
those plates are so pretty and very well shaped to you! Keep up the great work!

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Aria

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:21 AM »
I'm liking that belt a lot. :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2016, 06:27 AM »
I have white soft parts and I'm called storm trooper or girl boba or girl jango. Just comes with the territory. You're making great progress :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2016, 04:21 PM »
The belt is very nice!! I like the color scheme, too. Before I started painting my plates, I bought several shades of purple to help me come to a decision. Might be worthwhile to grab several different shades and colors to test them out first.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

Laaran Dala

• Though she be but little, she is fierce.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2016, 04:57 PM »
The plates are shaped very nicely, and the trimming worked really well.  There are several styles of backplates to choose from...personally I would recommend one that's segmented versus a single piece (obviously that's up to your discretion, but single piece plates can make movement difficult).  If you're not sure you want one, you can always go with a cape first and add the backplate later.

And no matter what your color scheme is, you'll always be mistaken for something/someone else (I've been called a stormtrooper, power ranger and a ninja-turtle  ??? ), so don't let that dictate what colors you go with...be you! 

Also, that belt is killer.  Can't wait to see more!  :)

« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Thank you all for the nice comments.
I have been working on my helmet and I have basic gauntlets and knees shaped. I will get some photos posted soon.
If I go with a backplate it will be segmented. I assume the segments can be flush with each other or do they need to overlap?
I am thinking about splitting my collar plate into three pieces for more mobility. If I cut the collar plate into pieces will it be acceptable for the pieces to butt up next to each other or will there need to be a gap between pieces? Or overlap?
I'm going with white armor and people can call me whatever they want.   :)

Aria

« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2016, 12:48 AM »
Segmented backplates I think can go either way (At least I've seen approved kits done both ways) but it is easiest to overlap.

As far as the segmented collar plates go, if you overlap them so they look like a solid piece but give you more movement you could probably do it that way, but other wise you should give them a little gap between them.

The Aria Pics
He/Him

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:04 PM »
knitted girth belt... genius.

« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:49 PM »
I've been busy with this build the last few weeks.
Knees have been cut and formed. They seemed a bit flimsy so I added a strip along the inside top. I wanted to add a bit of bulk to them so there are diamonds on the outside. They need some putty along the top and will be ready for paint. Cod has been cut and shaped although I think it may need some trimming width-wise. It seems a bit wide.

Gauntlets are in the works. They are one piece, to slip over the hands. I wanted something in between plain and bulky. I'm pleased with what I've done with them. One is ready for paint and the other needs everything glued down. They also need putty before painting.

The helmet has also been worked on. Bondo has been applied and sanded down (thank you my friend. You know who you are). The tee has been cut out except for one strip that was left for stability and strength. Don't know if it is necessary but it has made me feel better while cutting holes for key slot and ear caps. Key slot and skinny ear caps have been glued on. The ear caps have holes in them for added ventilation. I was successful at putting mirror film over a piece of blue tinted plastic. Hopefully the application of that onto the clear visor will be as successful. The helmet also needs putty and sanding before paint.

If I get busy with putty and sanding, I may be able to paint at the end of the week. Weather will be in the 70's for a few days before the next cold front moves in. We'll see!

Linca Snow

• winter warrior
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:13 PM »
As someone still fairly new myself I can't give too much advice, but wow you have been busy. That helmet is looking great. Also, as someone also making white armour I shall be watching your paint job with keen interest! Keep up the great work.

Snow's first armour build
"Kote Bal Tal, for Honour and Blood."

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!