Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sabine Wren (S2)

• 66 Replies

Padm Thano

• #946 || "Pandalorian" || Spectre5
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
Sabine Wren (S2)
« on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:32 PM »
"But Cassie, weren't you working on a second custom kit?"
Why yes, yes I was. But then Chirstmas happened and I ended up with a Sabine kit. So now the custom is on hold in favor of starting Sabine. My goal is to have her complete by Celebration, but if I don't it won't be a big deal. I'd rather have her done right than rushed.

To start this off, I'll make a list;
Helmet
Maker: RuthlessFX

Base Armor (Shoulders, Collar, Chest, Elbows, Knees, Boots)
Maker: Eitanya Designs

Additional Armor (gauntlets)
Maker: Templates by Eitanya, assembled by me & Dirgha'tus

Additional Armor (Leg Flares)
Maker: Myself

Blasters
Maker: 3D file by LToy CreationsRebelRousingProps, printed by me

Paint Sprayer
Maker: 3D file by 3DPropsNL, printed by me

Gloves
Maker: unknown, got from eBay

Flightsuit (Top & Pants)
Maker: Eitanya

Boots
Maker: Mossimo Avis in Black

Belts
Maker: DarmanProps

Wig
Maker: Arda (Magnum in TealEmerald Green, will dye darker blue)

Painting of Kit
Maker: Eitanya

Instead of starting on the helmet, I decided to start with making the gauntlets. Eitanya was kind enough to send me her templates and while working on them I made a few modifications to update them for the new season. Dirgha'tus is who did most of the assembly on the gauntlets, I cut everything out and did some of the intricate sanding with files.

I started with the boxes/displays first as those would be the trickiest.

The displays were based off of this image, figuring it'd give it more life than just a plain display screen. They were done with a clear plastic which we painted the displays on and then placed another sheet of clear plastic over the painted display.

I also noticed something fun while studying this image; There's an additional plate between the gauntlet and the hand plate. So I cut one out of Sintra and I'll figure out how to attach it. I'm also looking at alternatives so I'm able to still move my wrist.

I notched out the one box to better match reference images;

The gauntlets are all but painted now (& minus one screen in one gauntlet), and I'm pretty happy with how they came out. They're proportionate to me and I think they match the references pretty well (as far as how high they go on her arms, how big they are compared to her arm size, etc). Sorry for the bad photo quality; phone was dying so the flash wouldn't turn on

Will update as more happens, but now it's a waiting game for making sure fabric swatches match and printing the guns.

Thanks for reading!

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018, 11:03 AM by Padm Thano » Logged

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Re: Sabine Wren (S2)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:32 PM »
Awesome start!! I'm looking forward to watching your build 😊

AliyaJ

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:29 PM »
Very cool! :D Excited to see your progress! :D

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:14 PM »
Great start! Can't wait to see more! :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:32 AM »
I saw that this happened on fb. :D Such a cool Christmas present!! I'll be looking forward to seeing this one.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Padm Thano

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Awesome start!! I'm looking forward to watching your build 😊
thanks! :)

Very cool! :D Excited to see your progress! :D
thank you! any tips for a season 2 sabine? i've read your WIP on both RL and here but i'd like to pick your brain anyways for other Sabine-y things ;)

Great start! Can't wait to see more! :)
hopefully more is coming soon *stares at the 10 hour print for a blaster piece* okay, so give me a few days & the blasters will be an update :p

I saw that this happened on fb. :D Such a cool Christmas present!! I'll be looking forward to seeing this one.
yeah, kinda double posts with it on facebook & here. i'm sure you'll get tired of seeing updates on this at some point haha. i apologize to whoever has me as a facebook friend & is spammed with Sabine progress :p

All. The. YES! Tracking this one for pure awesome value!
i hope it lives up to expectations :)

Arch

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:55 PM »
Yay! I'm so excited that you're making a Sabine kit! This is going to be awesome.

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Gaunts are looking great! I'm planning on upgrading mine this year so it's nice to see your progress.

Sabine Wren S2

Tra'cor Clan || MMCC#1593 || M5#71 || NOS#9 || 96 OM Invasions

Padm Thano

« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:32 PM »
Progress;

I ordered my wig today!
Originally I was going to go with a Arda Magnum in Teal but the more I looked at it and after talking it over with a friend, we decided the Emerald Green was a better base color. I plan on Sharpie-dyeing the roots for accurate coloring, so I also ordered some color swatches of the Emerald Green to test dyeing methods on.

Will update with screenshots of the wig as soon as I'm on a computer that lets me access imgur for my photos -_-

Yay! I'm so excited that you're making a Sabine kit! This is going to be awesome.
I hope it lives up to everyone's expectations. I'm really excited for it and doing a canon kit is a learning process :)
Gaunts are looking great! I'm planning on upgrading mine this year so it's nice to see your progress.
Her gaunts are hard! Originally bending them, Dirgha'tus and I were like "these are not going to work out", but then adding some bondo and sanding really brought them together :) But yours look awesome, I was using them as one of my references when working on mine

ETA:
Wig I was originally going to get

Wig I ended up buying

Here's a wig (not the one I got) that shows the Emerald Green color better

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2017, 04:16 PM by Padm Thano » Logged

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:02 PM »
My wig is the magnum with emerald green Wefts added I believe. It worked pretty well. Every two or three wears I have to retain the bangs though or they stab me in the eye when I put my bucket on, so keep that in mind.

Sabine Wren S2

Tra'cor Clan || MMCC#1593 || M5#71 || NOS#9 || 96 OM Invasions

Padm Thano

« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:33 PM »
My wig is the magnum with emerald green Wefts added I believe. It worked pretty well. Every two or three wears I have to retain the bangs though or they stab me in the eye when I put my bucket on, so keep that in mind.

yay, eye stabbage :p
i'll keep it in mind, thanks for the warning :)

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:11 PM »
The wig color is beautiful! :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:30 AM »
Literally my favorite part about Sabine is her hair.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:49 AM »

Me too!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Padm Thano

« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2017, 02:57 PM »
The wig color is beautiful! :)

I contemplated dyeing my own hair to match (it would not be the craziest colors I've done) but I figure I'll save that for big events, like Celebration, and use a wig for smaller events. But I love Sabine's hair just because it's always fun colors and changes so often; much like my own :)

Eitanya

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Muahaha this is gonna be so awesome.  8)

Padm Thano

« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:39 AM »
So mini update; found what may be perfect gloves. They are 15" from finger to end/wrist, and 15" ends about 2-3 inches below my elbow so I think they'll work out. We shall see when they come in on the 14th.

Did a little work on my helmet as well; trimmed the bottom and cut out the visor and cleaned up the seam line

And i've had my boots, but I guess I should post a picture of them. The plan is to pull that opening as closed as possible (dang calves, can't close it all the way) and put some black elastic in whatever opening is left to help them stay closed. The straps are all cut off now, just gluing the slits closed from where I pulled them off.

Originally was printing blasters by LToy Creations from Thingiverse, but they weren't exactly right (& were also HUGE). Found another file that is correct and have finally got the sizing right to print them at 11". When laid against my hip they hang in the same area as Sabine's. Went with 11" based on a suggestion from Eitanya and they came out a good size, so I've learned to just listen to her :p

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017, 08:49 AM by Padm Thano » Logged

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Good luck with your boot situation! Your helmet looks great. I've never cut my own visor before - any advice about cleaning the edges after cutting them with a dremel?

Padm Thano

« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Good luck with your boot situation! Your helmet looks great. I've never cut my own visor before - any advice about cleaning the edges after cutting them with a dremel?

a mix of sandpaper and a file were used. the file was used in the tighter areas to get it closer to the edge and then sandpaper was used for refining. the corners were done with sorcery by Dirgha'tus, he used a drill to help get into the tight areas and i couldn't watch because it made me anxious. if i can get him to chime in on here he can give you the rundown on how the visor was done. i did some of the filing (as i'd done it with my Stalker helmet) but he did most of the work on it. he is great with helmets.

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017, 12:03 PM by Padm Thano » Logged

DragonTrooper

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:50 PM »
As Padm described, it is a tedious process to do it carefully so not to damage the helmet.

The first thing I do is cut the bulk visor area out with a Dremel cutting wheel. I stay about 1/4 to an 1/8 inch away from the cut line to avoid Dremel cuts into the finished material. Then I go back with the Dremel using a sanding bit to get as close as I feel comfortable to take more extra material off. I typically avoid the corners in all this because it is far too thin to try to make a Dremel cut. For this I use a small drill bit to drill several holes in that area, then I go back in with small files and connect the holes by sanding the material out. Once all that excess material is gone I use a mixture of sandpaper and filing to work the material down to the final desired cut lines, then wet sand it finish it off smoothly.

I hope this helps.

Dirgha'tus (LongShot) / Jango Fett - AOTC

Padm Thano

« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:32 PM »
the wig came in! i did a quick test fit/makeup trial once it arrived. i didn't bother to tuck my real hair in well, so there's some blonde coming from the back & the sides...ignore it ;)

i need to dye the roots still and style it but i'm happy with the color.

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Nice! :D

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Awesome!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

AliyaJ

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:26 PM »
OH SNAP! I love that wig color! It totally captures that minty green at the ends! I just might have to get one... AWESOME! If you ever want to look at my collection of refs you can. Season 2 has the weirdest colors of them all. The one knee threw me the most.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51701079@N06/albums/72157660725840718

Loving the progress!

I might upgrade to Darman's belt once I save up for it a bit more. :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!