Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft parts build -- ardavenport

• 7 Replies
Soft parts build -- ardavenport
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:32 PM »
I decided to start with easy parts (for me) while I figure out how to do the range finder on the bucket. So, here's a pic.

The vest will not be hemmed until I get the armor done, so the length on that is unfinished.

The purple is a pair of high-waisted pants and a shirt with double sleeves.

The green vest has shoulder bells or flaps, or whatever they're called that armor plates will be attached to.

The boots are painted cloth boots with green spats and I plan on having shin plates.

i also made a black head covering out of wide stretch lace.

There is a girth belt (green and pale gray), a sash (purple with faith sparkles) and a woven belt that the pouches will go on (still working on those) and possibly a blaster. I have an old Han Solo blaster that would be modified and I'd make a holster for it.

Tips, questions, comments?

Some Questions from me:

If I add a loin cloth, what would it hang from? How long can it be?

If I have a cape, what does that hang from? What is it attached to?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Soft parts build -- ardavenport
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:11 PM »
I think you'll need to tailor your pants; they're looking a bit baggy on you.  The vest could probably be tightened up, too.  Your belts look fine, so no worries there.  If you wanted to do a loin cloth instead of a cod plate, they're typically attached to a belt that rides underneath your girth belt or sash.  As to how long it can be, I'm not aware of a specific rule on it off-hand, but personally I think that if it were longer than about knee length it would look a bit...strange.  But that's just a personal opinion. 

With capes, it all depends on whether or not you have a back plate.  If you do, you could let it hang from one shoulder, Boba style, and could fasten it with a heavy duty snap, or with industrial strength velcro, or some other method.  If you're not going to have a back plate, it'll need to be fastened to both shoulders and entirely cover your back so that it's not visually apparent that you don't have armor for your back.  I've known people to use velcro, snaps, chicago screws, even a chain that runs around your throat.  The methods are pretty varied.  What it basically comes down to, I think, is:  What works and looks good/appropriate to Star Wars.

I hope that helps.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:18 PM »
Yes, that's very helpful. Thanks much for the quick reply and the tips.

The vest and pants are easy enough to take in, especially since the vest won't be hemmed until I fit the armor anyway. I always veer on the side of Too-Large for comfort and it's way easier to fix than Too-Small.

One thing about fastening a cape..... it sounds like the fastener is often hidden. Is the cape usually fastened under a piece of armor, like the shoulder?

About cape and kama length: I don't think I've seen a Mando with either one any longer than knee length? Is that the accepted limit?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:25 PM »
One thing about fastening a cape..... it sounds like the fastener is often hidden. Is the cape usually fastened under a piece of armor, like the shoulder?

About cape and kama length: I don't think I've seen a Mando with either one any longer than knee length? Is that the accepted limit?

The fastening method for capes are usually hidden.  The CRLs don't specify, so basically as long as it looks good, you should be fine.  And knee length for capes and kamas is pretty customary, but not an actual limit.  My kama comes to below my knee, as do several other Mercs'.  And I've seen some floor length capes as well.  It really comes down to what you're comfortable with, and what looks good to you.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2017, 04:00 AM »
Some good progress you have made, I always recommend people start with their soft parts as it means the armour is sized to what is actually already being worn.

As havelock has pointed out the flight suit does look to be loose in the legs, especially where the calf wraps are forcing the bunching around the knee. Some of this may be hidden with the use of a Kama, but I suspect the knees will continue to bunch.

Your girth belt and sash look remarkably similar (I would have called them both Girth) but you only need one of them. The CRLs call for either/or on them.

You must have at least two of the following items in any combination: ammo belt, girth belt or waist sash, holster belt.

I am not too sure on the woven belt as a material as it does not look like it would take the strain of pouches etc; but this could be due to the loose appearance of it where its wrapped around you multiple times. I believe it will need to be shortened to create some tension and then reassess. Typically the ammo belt would not wrap around you multiple times.

Look forward to further updates :)

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2017, 02:40 AM »

I'm probably going to add stirrups to the pants to keep them from bagging around the knees, but I'll see how they look after I take them in on the legs. I like the leg wraps, but once the pant legs pull up from them, they don't go back in, especially after walking around for awhile. Same thing happens with boots. Wide pajama-weight elastic works wonders as stirrups for keeping the pant legs down.

I couldn't really decide on the girth belt or the sash. I had the materials lying around, so I thought I'd try them both.

The woven belt is a heavy cotton strap. It doesn't look it in the picture, but it won't have any problem holding the weight of the ammo pouches without sagging.  I'm still fiddling around with the weight. I also have a 1" leather belt blank that I can try.

Thanks for the tips!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2017, 03:25 PM »
More progress .......

There are some things to do ...... the loin cloth is gathered, too wide and it tends to stick out, so it needs to be narrowed. I'm thinking of dying the pouches green to go with the rest of the scheme, but they don't look too bad right now, so I haven't decided.

Some things that won't be done until I get at least some of the armor done ....

-- Vest needs to be hemmed.
-- I have a cape (same color as the kama) that would probably cover half the back with armor, over the whole back without the back plate.
-- Blaster (have that, but needs to be modified) and holster (need to make this -- same material as the pouches)
-- Now that I've seen 'Trials of the Dark Saber', I'd really like to have Sabine's vambraces, but I have to think about how to do that.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Also, I was thinking of adding a large, flat cloth pouch (same color as the kama and loin cloth) to hang off the back of the belt. I assume that would be fine; is it OK for the costume to be approved?

Eitanya

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:19 AM »
You're making good progress! I agree about the loin cloth, it will look better once it's smaller so it smooths out.  There shouldn't be an issue with adding another pouch to the back of the belt, as long as it looks like it goes well with the kit.  One can never have too much storage. ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!