Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor Tutorial: Cod Plates

• 2 Replies

Dhagon Varad

• Adam Beck #1243
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Tutorial: Cod Plates
« on: Jan 21, 2017, 05:12 PM »
I've noticed how many people forgo a Cod plate because of how hard they are to make look good if building from scratch(there is the argument that they are also uncomfortable, I won't deny that) I decided to make this tutorial after I had to help a few of my friends looking to join the club make theirs. The pictures in this tutorial are from my friends new piece and my finished unpainted one.

Things you will need.

Sintra,
WOD Template/or any other mandalorian cod template.
Utility knife or dremel
Free Form Air by Smooth On.
Palm Sander or orbital sander.
Sand Paper
Bondo Glazing Putty.
Super Glue

First few steps are picture free but are very straight forward after that you will see exactly what I am talking about.

1:Cut out your main piece of the cod plate(the part that wraps around and under you) and the second piece that makes up the front face of the plates
2: Curve the main piece to form around your waist, and under yourself.
3: Use some super glue to glue the pieces together.(once it sets its stuck forever with PVC so make sure you place it correctly.)

Should look something like this.

Next you will mix up some free form air. Free Form air is a 2 part epoxy dough that you can get from Smooth On. Its incredibly light weight and super strong.

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/free-form-air/

I got my set for about $15 + tax at my local supplier. If you have no local supplier, you can order straight from Smooth on, or from Amazon for a higher price.
https://www.amazon.com/Free-Form-AIR-Trial-Unit/dp/B00IEKMF9C

once you have mixed up a handful of each part A and B you should have enough dough to do what needs to be done.
Jam that stuff in the gap. Smooth it out as best you can and give it the correct shape.

Make sure you fill in all the gaps.

Once it has cured(about 6-8 hours) you can start sanding it. I usually give it overnight to firm up all the way.

I use a small palm sander like this to knock it down and get it into the correct shape.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-38-in-x-3-34-palm-detail-sander-62132.html

Once you have smoothed it out into the correct shape, its time to fill in all the scratches and imperfections.

I use a Bondo Glazing putty such as this.
https://www.amazon.com/Bondo-907-Glazing-Spot-Putty/dp/B0002JM8PY

You will then give it a nice sand using some higher grit sand paper. Start at 100 and work your way up to whatever grit you want. Beyond 200 it won't make much difference when you go to put your paint down unless you want a high gloss.

It should look like this.

I hope this helps everyone make a nice sturdy cod piece. More durable than a vacformed one, with all the shape of one.

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2018, 03:13 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Kruser

• Helmet on. Heart gone.
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Tutorial: Cod Plates
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:41 PM »
Thank you for posting this.  Outstanding tutorial.  I will be taking advantage of this very soon. 

Re: Tutorial: Cod Plates
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:05 PM »
Thank you so much for this post!  ;D It will be very helpful for making my kit.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!