Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Anansi's Soft Parts WIP

• 16 Replies

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Anansi's Soft Parts WIP
« on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:37 AM »
When it's too cold outside to paint, I take the opportunity to work on my soft parts.

The flight suit is a 2-piece made from scrubs available at Wal-Mart. Around here, you can get each piece for $5.96.

Sleeves were easy enough to make from the legs of a 2nd set of pants:

Now I'm working on the flak vest. I'm making it out of a test material first before I move on to the duck cloth. It took a few tries but I finally got the sides spaced right but now I'm faced with a different issue:

There's a lot of material sitting at the front of my shoulder and I'm not sure how I should get rid of it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
Re: Anansi's Soft Parts WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:41 PM »
I'm no expert at sewing anything.... but I think adding darts to that area should help bring it in around the armpit. Hopefully that helps get ya in the right direction.

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Bariikas Talgal

• Leave a legacy worthy of a song
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:52 AM »
if I had to say, the flak vest looks too big to begin with. for reference, it should end just Below your ab platr, which should end just above your belly button. The shoulder seem looks like it was put together Straight and instead of with an angle. I also am no expert in sowing but my opinion is that it may need to have the shoulder seem redone. luckily you have plenty of excess fabric!

Hopefully this helps, vod.
Bariikas

Retired MMCC: #1608

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:59 PM »
The vest IS long but that's because I was more concerned with getting the sides proper. Hemming the bottom to the correct length is a cinch. The shoulder is at an angle but it's possible I made it too steep. I'll post a picture of it later.  Chances are, I'm going to need to re-draw the pattern.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2017, 03:47 PM »
As promised, here's the patterning I did initially. When I sewed things up as pictured, the vest was tight in the front and bunched up. I recut the arm holes and added an inch of fabric to the sides and ended up with the puffs in the front.

Front:

Back:

I was definitely thinking about darting the puffs away but if I can keep it "smooth" in the front, that would be better.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:20 PM »
Hope this isn't considered a double post.

I'm a little all over the place working on my beskar'gam but I have made some progress on my soft parts. I redrew the vest pattern and was extra careful to make the seam allowance even.

Meanwhile, I lucked upon a proper gunbelt at the thrift shop and picked up a new buckle.

And I picked up an ammo belt. The canvas pouches are lot larger than I thought (remember to read the item description before buying, vode), but I think they will work with some smaller ones. Perhaps if I modify these dollar store phone pouches they can work? (NOTE: I'm not 100% sure they are permitted and if so, I know my ad'ika can)

Now I need to sew up the test vest pattern and see what happens.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Those cell phone pouches won't work for adults, ner vod. As per the CRLs:
Quote from: CRLs
No cell phone pouches on ammo belts for adult submissions.

For alternatives, I would check out surplus stores and airsoft/paintball supply(Evike, Airsoft GI, and RAP4/MCS are my three go-to vendors) companies for universal and magazine pouches. They'll still need some modifications to make them look less earthy, but they'll work. Just be sure to not get open-topped pouches.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Then I'm glad I only spent a dollar on them! My future verd'ika can use them then.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2017, 04:31 PM »
The second version of the vest pattern still came out a little big so I went back to square one and redrew it completely. Third times a charm.

I didn't photograph every step but the new pattern (plus a few minor revisions) was right where I needed it. So I moved forward with duck cloth.

And here we are. It's nice and snug without being suffocating and the side zippers are kandosii, if I do say so myself. Don't worry, I'll cover them with a flap. And then there's the shoulder bells. Also, because I opted for side securing instead of a back zipper, the neckline is a little generous so I'm contemplating a neck seal/ raised collar to attach.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2017, 11:18 PM »
That looks good!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2017, 02:10 AM »
Ever onward! I was able to get the flaps added to conceal the zippers. No problem.

And the shoulder bells were pretty pakod too. The tricky part was sewing them in place.

Now I can plan out attaching a collar...maybe.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2017, 12:31 PM »
Maybe turned into definitely and I added a section to bring the neckline up higher. It's a little ugly but it puts a little more padding between my neck and the collar plate, which will hide it's ugliness anyway.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2017, 06:35 PM »
Geez, I haven't updated this WIP in a while. *wipes away some of the dust* Wait, might need some of that for weathering. In any case, updates. I tailored the flightsuit a little more after discovering that the legs were baggy once the plates were in place.
- So baggy.
Unfortunately, I don't have "after" pics yet. I also added a collar to the scrubs. That and the balaclava hide any skin.

So, I set sights on the belts. First up: Girth belt.

I used cotton clothes line and temporarily lined things up with electrical tape.

Once that was done, I backed it with canvas & sewed everything together. Eventually, I had this:
Just needs to be dyed and it's all set.
Next belt - the Gunbelt. I don't have the space or the resources to work leather full scale, so I used the sintra available to craft some hard holsters. First I made a test pattern.

And then, let's see. I fold here and bend this here and...success! (Note: later on I discovered that one of my Westars is wider than the other. Unfortunately for me, I used the narrower of the two so one is a little snug. I'll figure it out.)

Now to transfer to sintra.

One of the great lessons I learned from originally making costumes in eva foam was cutting 45 degree channels in the material to give you a sharper corner when you fold the material. If you don't, the material buckles because it has no where to go and causes a rounded section. It's something that can definitely apply to sintra as well.
So, we have two lovely Westar 35 holsters.

I added the thigh straps using some scrap leather straps from an old armor project.

And a strap to attach to the belt.

They fit great but the weight on these hand cannons makes them flop around a bit. Therefore, I'll need to add an upper thigh strap. THEN I can wrap the whole thing in some leather-grained vinyl. After that, I can work on the ammo pouch. Stay tuned!

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2017, 06:43 PM »
I like the look of those! Great work on your girth belt as well :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2017, 12:27 AM »
A little more progress:
While I initially used actual leather strapping on my holster, I a) ran out of leather and b) remembered how leather rubbing against painted surfaces destroys the paint job. Therefore, I decided to swap it out with vinyl.

I measured out the strips in heavy duty faux leather-grained vinyl

Then I applied hot glue and folded the edges to the center line. It helps if you have something to press the fold flat so that the glue evenly distributes and eliminates lumps. A little while later and boom, faux leather straps! They'll need a little weathering to make them look a little more convincing but so far so good.
Next, I tackled  adding faux leather to the outside of the holster. It helps to scuff up the surface first and then apply a generous amount of contact cement.

Once that was complete, I fitted the straps to the holster and added a little stitching (hard to see in this picture) to the areas where the "leather" folds over on the outside. The inside of the holster is a tad uglier but it's on the inside and won't be seen.

Finally, I test fitted  the holster on top of my thigh plate. Perfect.

Considering the headache I'm having with the other holster and the oddly larger Westar, I might just opt for one sidearm for now and move on to pouches. Not much to see here, but I followed Kathkandar's cell phone pouch conversion: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=129201.0

I've got 3 more to go and I'll be in the home stretch!

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2017, 11:21 PM »
Another update.
Continued work on the pouches, starting with the initial weathering.

However, like Kath, I didn't like how the clips held onto the belt, so I decided to attach two pouches together at the back and attach them with a strap. Here's a pic before the clips were removed.

I also wanted a cylindrical belt attachment and this gum container did the trick.

My large pouches sat a little flat so I built an internal frame and they looked much better.
Before:

The frame:

After:

Finally, I dyed the girth belt.

So, once these are all weathered properly, I can finish up a few more armor straps and possibly submit!

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!