Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

1st kit. Late Crusader WIP.

• 30 Replies
1st kit. Late Crusader WIP.
« on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:57 AM »
This will be my 1st attempt at doing anything like this so i'm quite excited! I'm making a Ramikadyc based kit with a few modifications to the chest and shoulder areas.
I already ordered the helmet.

I was thinking about something like this for the shoulders and chest.

I have the 3mm sintra and Ill be using black underarmour for the flightsuit and attaching the armor with rare earth magnets where i can.

For weapons i'm going to modify a nerf longstrike rifle and two Nerf Falconfire pistols. I'm also going to have two blades that fit into the thigh armor somewhere.
Pistol.

Rifle.

I found a pretty sweet cape from Medievalcollectibles that has a hood big enough to go over my helmet so i can stay incognito when i need to.  8)
Not sure if ill do a kama yet. I'll get it all put together and see how it looks first.

This is what i have so far. I used tape so its not permanent yet. Will this pass the CLRs for Crusader or do i need to make some modifications? My camera is broke on my phone so bare with my fuzzy pics.  :'(

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: 1st kit. Late Crusader WIP.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:49 PM »
Your design for your plates so far looks pretty good, You have a solid reference image to work from which is a major thing for Crusader kits.

I will say this I think your "ab" plates (those three smaller plates on the chest rig) should be a touch larger, I would make them at 1/4 of an inch wider on both sides. Otherwise like I said everything looks good so far.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:54 PM »
This will be my 1st attempt at doing anything like this so i'm quite excited! I'm making a Ramikadyc based kit with a few modifications to the chest and shoulder areas.

Wow, I love how all these Late Crusader kits are coming out of the woodworks.  With your weapons try to match something from the Reference Photos, the weapon in the image you are matching your chest plate to, or similar timeline photo.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with and following your WIP here on the forums.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2017, 03:46 PM »
I was going to try to add side plates like this.

Would i still need to widen the abs if i added the side plates?

Karl Dha'Werda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I was going to try to add side plates like this.

Would i still need to widen the abs if i added the side plates?

I could see kidney plates on the side like that working great, but I'll let Naran (who is on the App Team) jump in to give his input.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:36 PM »
Adding side plans like that would work as well, no issue there at all. Just make sure the spacing is even.

Once you work up some templates take a picture with all of the paper templates together, so we can get a good look at how it all looks together. That way we can make sure you are still on target for crusader and haven't drifted to far from the mark. I don't really think that will be an issue, but I always like to err on the side of caution. Last thing that I want is for you, is for you to spend a ton of time and energy on a kit to have the base design be an issue.

Also those style of plates are classed as "flank" armor.  :)

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Also those style of plates are classed as "flank" armor.  :)

Sweet good to know for future reference.  TMA called them kidney plates, flank armour.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:57 AM »
I put together one of my gauntlets to see how it would all fit together and it seems to be coming together ok. how are they looking for the CLRs so far? I haven't decided on what greebles i want to put on them yet so they arent quite fully done yet but... more work was done!  :P

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:35 AM »
I got the flank armor worked up. Does it look ok?

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:19 AM »
That looks awesome, and with those your ab plates look fine size wise. Carry on vod!  :)

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:31 AM »
I'm a little worried about the sides of the chest plates sticking out too much. Should i try to round them off some or am i ok like this?

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Yeah, you need to round them end so they sit against your body, cannot have them floating off you like that.

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2017, 07:46 AM »
Thigh armor getting did! The cutout circles are for the magnets. Ill cover them with apoxi sculpt and make it look like battle damage.

Also i added some magnets to my shoulders to hold my cape and it worked like a charm!

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Looking good major points for building up the 3d shape commonly seen with crusader armor!

Keep it up vod  :D

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2017, 07:45 AM »
Got a shin/knee armor glued! One more shin, one more gauntlet and then the ab plates left to glue then ill be ready to do the fill in with apoxi sculpt! And then... PAINT!!  ;D

Kjeldo

• From the ashes of Galidraan, I come...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2017, 11:57 PM »
Very nice progress!  Love the layering!

Manda'galaar Clan
-------------------
 OM #1325
 M.L.C.S. #6 
 B.O.M.B. #56
-------------------
Season 4/5 Deathwatch Airborne WIP -  https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=150104.0

V2 Medic Brigade Kit - https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=150100.0

Late Crusader Build (RIP) -  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=129457.0
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2017, 09:11 AM »
Update. With all the layering and epoxy the armor is too heavy and pulling on the underarmor too much to use magnets.  >:( Looks like ill have to strap them to my legs.  :(

I got a little boored sanding and epoxying so i started putting some greebles on my guns. I also started making the cell phone holder for my gauntlets with the sintra i had left over. Ill have some more pics up soon.

« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2017, 07:34 AM »
Tried out straps for the leg armor and they work great!

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Painting has begun! Satin paint is a little more shiny than i wanted. hopefully it'll dull up some when i hit it with the sand paper.

I also started working on my weapon between coats. I added some greebles to the side and extended the barrel 12". That green wrap is just to hold it while the glue drys.

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2017, 09:49 AM »

Definitely has the look of a Late Crusader/SWTOR era rifle.  Looking good Vod!

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2017, 10:40 AM »
I like the details in the plates and the bucket style is awesome.  Nerf guns are hard to hide but the rifle is looking good. 

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2017, 08:05 AM by Lt_Wipeout » Logged
    OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2017, 07:28 AM »
I went ahead and fully painted one shin plate to see how it would look.

Ill weather it tonight when the paint fully drys and post an updated pic tomorrow.

Teilyr Farsel

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2017, 10:53 AM »
Lookin' good! That a heck of a rifle.

Zaroc

• Honneur aux armes - Respect aux maîtres
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Family events Special Weapons Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2017, 11:04 AM »
I love what I see vod !

PWS #009 - New Death Watch Order #43 - O.O.P.S. ! #49
Zaroc - Brigade approved as Privateer/Gunslinger
Ogm'a - Archaelorian/Scavenger

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2017, 12:04 AM »
Keep at it.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!