Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

MMcFett's First Armor WIP

• 16 Replies

MMcFett

• Wayii!
MMcFett's First Armor WIP
« on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:50 PM »
This is my first attempt at a WIP. I started my armor a few months ago, so this is in retrospect, trying to catch up to my current progress.
I bought my upper armor from Kill Stripe Props, which is primed gray in the picture (3mm Sintra).
My lower armor is from The Mandalorian Arsenal, still white (vac formed ABS).
Helmet is the NME Mercenary.
Gauntlets and backplate are from Imperial Outpost Armory (redkraytdragon).

Getting all the pieces primed. (I'll go into the sidearm in another thread)

After Rub n Buff!

I also put rub n buff on the knees, and then used masking fluid on all the pieces for my weathering.
Next, I painted the whole set in gunmetal.

I ran out of paint before I got a good coat on the chest pieces, so I'll be painting more on them soon.
Also, trying to find a red paint to match my concept in my profile pic for the knees and shoulders.

We had an armor party this weekend, and I did my weathering on the other parts, so I'll have to add pics soon to show how they turned out.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2017, 04:43 PM by MMcFett » Logged
...take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:13WIPs: Helmet-Armor-Gauntlets-Weapons-Jetpack

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 07:14 PM by MMcFett » Logged
...take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:13WIPs: Helmet-Armor-Gauntlets-Weapons-Jetpack
Re: MMcFett's First Armor WIP
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2017, 12:27 PM »
When you have the chance tape those plates to you so we can see how they fit, and if any trimming is needed. Nice start  :)

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Got some ammo pouches at the gun show this weekend for my belt.

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:36 PM »
My bucket arrived today by way of NME props!

Kal Revik

• "You can run, but you will only die tired."
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2017, 12:39 AM »
I'll be following this post ^-^ glad to see you're posting here! Everything is looking great! Hoping to see more and help more with the build at the next armor party

OM #1135 Vhe'rang clan, NM/W. TX, SC
BM #149 Brigade: Spec Ops Recon
ALUMINATI #043/MIB #020/M.A.R.S #58/M.A.
#165/L.O.B. #50/O.O.P.S.! #39/Mandalorian Cavalry #7

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Got the visor area cut out! Starting to look official.

Gonna move the rest of this discussion to my helmet thread (see signature).
This post will focus on the armor.

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2017, 05:06 PM by MMcFett » Logged

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Finally got some more paint. Added another coat to the knees and a first coat to the shoulders.

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2017, 04:25 PM »
Time to add an updated pic to the progress of the whole kit. I set it all together to see how it's coming.
I have done the weathering to the shoulders and knees but I don't have pic yet.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2017, 04:41 PM by MMcFett » Logged

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Got a new backplate that matches my collar plate really well.

Got it with gauntlets from IOA/RKD.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2017, 04:52 PM by MMcFett » Logged

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Next on the agenda is Velcro!

I used a combo of E6000 and hot glue, but some of it still seems to be coming off. What is the best way to attach it to the armor?

Then placement on the vest to get an idea of spacing

Finally a quick get it all together for EPCON!

This was a very temporary arrangement to get an idea of what I still need to work on. Most of the Velcro was just stuck on so the spacing is way off. I got some good feedback from the clan. Overall this was the first time I wore everything (available) as a suit. I call it a success because people still called me Boba Fett, so they at least know what I'm going for.  ;D :P (even though I don't have backplate and gauntlets on, technicalities)

Next project is finish the vest and get the Velcro more permanent. Then backplate and gauntlets. And on and on....  :D

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:13 AM by MMcFett » Logged

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Wow that was quick! And I thought my two weeks the first time was impressive.  :o

At least you weren't being called a stormtrooper, ner vod!  It's amazing how many times I've gotten that. :P

Arqet Clan
Alor’ad: 2022-Present , Ruus’alor Sol’yc: 2020-2021, Ruus’alor: 2020

"Inspire others to weather adversity and cultivate growth through empathy and leadership, so that every person may be empowered to reach for their stars."

Path to Brigade:  Armor Thread

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 11:20 AM »
There was one time where I was told that I was a power ranger.  :laugh:

I feel like your spacing might be a little off. Your plates seem really close together but the spacing between your chest plates is really wide. From what I understand CRL's say that your armor should be about thumb width spacing. I'd double check with an app team member or your ruusalor to make sure. You'll also need to weather your belts and soft parts to match the nice weathering you got on your armor.

For the velcro - I've just used industrial strength velcro that you can get at Home Depot or Walmart and I reinforced the edges with E6k. And sew on the velcro onto my vest. I hope that helps.

Anyway, you're making a ton of progress and your kit is looking awesome! Can't wait to see it all finished with gauntlets and everything.

Sto-Las Amari

• Never stop fighting for what you believe in
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Whoa that's a sweet kit you got there! Just the few things that grantaire brought up and you'll be passable in no time! I also recommend lining up the thighs, and possibly trimming the plates down a bit to fix the spacing problem. Everyone loves a dirty Mando ;) , add some black wash and your kit will look lived in!!  You've made excellent progress Vod, you're so close!!!!

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Here is a pic from this past weekend with my mini Mando. Range finder installed and some modifications to the vest since the last time. This weekend we have an armor party so I'll get vest Velcro and spacing more permanent. Also planning on working on my gauntlets and backplate.

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 12, 2017, 12:13 PM »
Here's a pic from Phoenix Comicon with gauntlets!

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 24, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Well in 2 years I've made several upgrades and additions.
I replaced my chest armor because what I had was too big.

I got a new ammo belt and holster, finished my blaster, did more work on my helmet, and recently just got a new flak vest and flight suit. I'm skipping several iterations over the years to show what my kit looks like today.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!