Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Advice wanted: Vest fastener options

• 5 Replies
Advice wanted: Vest fastener options
« on: Feb 27, 2017, 03:50 AM »
Greetings,

I am making a friend's flak vest and doing some research here since he is not sure what kind of fasteners he would like for his vest.

What is everyone using for fasteners or what suggestions do people have on what would be acceptable for mando mercs?   
What about places to put the fasteners on the vest?  Side seams, the back, the front, asymmetrical front opening, straight down the front?
Is there any limitation with placement and fastener types for getting into the mando mercs?   So far the only thing I found was that if we used zippers, they have to be hidden.

Any photos you guys would be willing to share would be great.

What do you guys think of lace up and where would you suggest I put it?  He was kind of liking the idea of lace up when we went through different types.  Was thinking about doing the underarm seams but maybe the back would be easier?

For his vest so far:
We have a attached neck seal on the collar we are going to be doing and  small sleeve flaps will be quilted. 
We need to able to fit his head through the neck/head hole, then close up the neck seal so it's close to his neck. 
It's made out of black duck cloth and will be lined with black bull denim. 

Thank you

« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2017, 03:54 AM by Mysthopper » Logged
Jedi Knight with various lucasfilm recognized costume groups.
Coming soon: Visas Marr, Fully Armored Jedi General, Sith Lord, Rebel's Ahsoka Tano
Currently working on: Modern female Mando

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Advice wanted: Vest fastener options
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2017, 05:29 AM »
Hiya

two examples here.

My vest - has velcro fastening either side of the neck to open it up and allow my head to go through, with velcro on both under arms to allow it to be fastened and pulled tight

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93907.120

My wife's vest - has a single velcro fastening up the back

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93907.225

Pros and cons with both - mine is trickier to get on, but is easier to adjust.  The single back fastening makes for getting on and off quicker, but it hasn't quite got the adjustability

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2017, 05:57 AM »
Thank you for sharing this!

Jedi Knight with various lucasfilm recognized costume groups.
Coming soon: Visas Marr, Fully Armored Jedi General, Sith Lord, Rebel's Ahsoka Tano
Currently working on: Modern female Mando

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2017, 09:54 AM »
I made mine with buckles on the side. 

Here is the link; http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=120631.msg1644988#msg1644988

Hope that helps some.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2017, 12:29 PM »
Mine now only has the single vertical Velcro strip up the back, and it's a love/hate relationship.  It's easy to put on (I can put the whole thing on without help) but it's not tight enough and with no way to tighten the sides, the front plates shift about a bit more than I'd like.

I'm looking for a seamstress now that can slit the sides and give me straps or velcro on the sides to tighten it down.

Anansi

• Ratiin de gar be'eso, ner vod.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2017, 12:36 AM »
I went with zippers under the arms with velcro flaps because that seemed easiest for me. If you do that, you've got to remember to put a slit in the neckline up front or your head will never fit.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!