Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet to helmet coms?

• 7 Replies

Joren Kal

• Its much more fun to make it yourself...
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions.
Helmet to helmet coms?
« on: Feb 19, 2017, 10:41 PM »
Looking to see if anyone has found a neat solution for helmet to helmet coms?  We're looking for some way for the base camp to communicate with a patrol during bounty hunts when we do them at larger cons.  We thought about buying a pair of those short range walkie-talkies, but that would broadcast the message, which we may not want the mark to hear.  Not many of them have an earbud/mic accessory either. 

Just looking for thoughts at this point.  The simpler the better. 

Thanks,
Joren Kal.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - "Family is more than blood

Joren Kal, MMCC #596
501st Clone Trooper Detachment 'Boss' - RC-38227

Legion

• Good, bad...I'm the guy with guns on my wrists.
Re: Helmet to helmet coms?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2017, 11:29 PM »
If not walkie-talkies, maybe just use phones and a wired headset connected to a comms app like Discord?

Trendsetter - The original coated Mando.
 | MAJIC #175 | SPARCK #23 | ALUMINATI #048 | MMRS #16 |
 |

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:22 AM »
One option is a Baofeng radio with headset. But the simplier is a headset to your phone, and a low data/battery consumption app.

Lion's electronics corner

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIPs: Nite Owl helmet. Modern era helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews

Ruus bal'Neta

• "Family is more than blood. This is the way."
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2017, 04:49 PM »
I just picked up a couple Midland 2-way radios from Amazon for my wife and I to use on troops. I just received them yesterday so I haven't had time to play around with them yet, but they are supposed to have private channels so you can communicate with specific receivers. And they come with headset mics that you can wear under your bucket. You can also get a separate push to talk button so you're not obviously reaching for the radio or the PTT button right below the headset.

This is the set we got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WMFYH4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm still working on a way to integrate the headset with an Aker voice amp so we don't need two mics, just separate PTT buttons.

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Probably out of your price range unless you pick up some used ones, but Motorola makes some great 2-ways with ear buds that many retail stores use.

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2017, 06:21 AM »
"Private" means that when you select a channel and a subtone (3.5 for example) your radio will only listen to transmission on 3.5. But if someone is on channel 3 without subtones, they'll be able to hear comms for all subtones on that channel.

Lion's electronics corner

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIPs: Nite Owl helmet. Modern era helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews

Shiimba

• Zweeds'aar OM# 1948
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Picked up a cheap wireless MC intercom for my gf and my own bucket, kinda handy as it also connects to your phone over BT and can be used to answer calls etc as well. Mostly we use them for us to keep track on each other :)
Range is pretty good in the open, and at con's/events we've had little problem with outside interference, batteries lasts a good 6-8 hrs. think the set cost me $70 CDN with free shipping.

Zweeds'aar OM# 1948
Ciry'Kurs Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Have you looked into Motorcycle helmet comms?  Most of them are pretty compact and have mountable in helmet speakers.  I have a set that uses BT to connect to the phone, had a FM reciever and can communicate to another set as well.  Something like the Scala Rider.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!