Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ursa Wren

• 82 Replies

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Ursa Wren
« on: Feb 20, 2017, 09:33 AM »
Just watched Rebels "Legacy of Mandalore" episode and am obsessed with Ursa Wren.  It looks like there's no CRL for her - is anyone else interested in making her kit, like I am?

I'm hoping I'll come to my senses in a few days, but right now, my brain is on overdrive trying to figure out all the steps for the kit -- and how to get it approved.  :)

Because that bucket.  It is a thing of beauty.

Here are some gallery images form the show:  http://starwarsrebels.wikia.com/wiki/Ursa_Wren/Gallery

I'm super excited to try to make that bucket. 

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2017, 03:02 PM by Nia Kad Runi » Logged
My WIP - female armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=25453

My Ursa Wren build http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=128908.0

501st - Legacy Stormtrooper  
Rebel Legion & 501st - Jawa

EMTS #153
Brigade- Special Ops: Assassin

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Ursa Wren
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2017, 02:09 PM »
Just watched Rebels "Legacy of Mandalore" episode and am obsessed with Ursa Wren.  It looks like there's no CRL for her - is anyone else interested in making her kit, like I am?

Sweet!  Excited to see your WIP on this.  Usually the first person to want to build a Canon character will work closely with the Application Team members and a CRL will be built as you go.  Rebels in on my list to see, just finished the Clone Wars series last night.

Also a reminder that Double Posting is against forum rules 3.3 and you will need to modify your posts into 1 post.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2017, 02:17 PM »
I liked her bucket as well.  Having the chest diamond on the back was interesting.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Sweet!  Excited to see your WIP on this.  Usually the first person to want to build a Canon character will work closely with the Application Team members and a CRL will be built as you go.  Rebels in on my list to see, just finished the Clone Wars series last night.

Also a reminder that Double Posting is against forum rules 3.3 and you will need to modify your posts into 1 post.

I've already reached out to our Naast Ruus'alor to give him a heads' up and ask for guidance and I'm starting to collect reference pics. Since she's only been in one show. . . that's not much.  Hopefully, she'll appear more.

I'm thinking I'll do a pep build for the bucket, to make sure I can get those wings/crown to look right. Found the Sabine files, so I get the cheeks right. (Thank goodness for the helmet reference thread!)  I've asked some local Naast folks for help/advice on some things as I go forward.  Tonight after work I'm planning on pulling a couple Sabine CRLs and going over reference pics with the list in hand so I can start breaking out the costume into component parts and figuring out how to write it up, so I have an outline to go by.

The bucket and the flight suit are my biggest worries at the moment.  And so far I can't get a good shot of her feet. LOL!  I'll be re-watching and taking screen shots of the episode over and over, I can tell.  Good thing my kids like the show and my youngest wants to be the Sabine to my Ursa.

Oh and - fixed my very first post(s).  Sorry- got a little over excited there. heh.

My WIP - female armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=25453

EMTS #153

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2017, 03:43 PM »
I'd go and ask Dave Filoni for a reference page for Ursa Wren through twitter. He's pretty responsive and loves Mandos so if you tell him you're building her armor I bet he'd oblige.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2017, 04:28 PM »
We get sent the ref pics for the canon characters and start work on the CRLs asap. However they are usually not finalised until the season end - to allow for all references to be collected.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Gotcha!  I've found the character reference page and taken screen shots galore of the costume.  I'm happy to share those here and/or in a message to anyone on the app team. 

EMTS #153

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:22 AM »
We get sent the ref pics for the canon characters and start work on the CRLs asap. However they are usually not finalised until the season end - to allow for all references to be collected.

Learn something new everyday.  Thanks Kris!

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:50 AM »
Ah! I adore her bucket as well! Would love to see someone bring it to life.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2017, 12:31 PM »
We're working on this CRL as quickly as we can. Currently, we're working on other things simultaneously, so it's not going to be published super soon, but there appears to be a lot of reference out already. Dha Bral and I usually work on the CRLs together so if you'd like some guidance, feel free to address any questions directly to us. If you do, we can ensure that your build matches the CRL that we're writing.

Tenebris

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2017, 01:27 PM »
We're working on this CRL as quickly as we can. Currently, we're working on other things simultaneously, so it's not going to be published super soon, but there appears to be a lot of reference out already. Dha Bral and I usually work on the CRLs together so if you'd like some guidance, feel free to address any questions directly to us. If you do, we can ensure that your build matches the CRL that we're writing.

I'm wanting to build ursa too.

So my question is can we start a WIP and building with the things we can see and reference clearly like the helmet shape, bodysuit etc (lets face it those panels in a stretch are going to be a pain) with direct guidence from you , or do we have to wait for published CRL's?

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2017, 01:31 PM »
You don't have to wait, but yes, it would be in your best interest to consult with Dha Bral and I on anything you're not sure on.

Tenebris

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2017, 01:43 PM »
You don't have to wait, but yes, it would be in your best interest to consult with Dha Bral and I on anything you're not sure on.

Thank you, I've not built a canon mando before so every bit of guidence is welcome.

I'm hoping I'll come to my senses in a few days, but right now, my brain is on overdrive trying to figure out all the steps for the kit -- and how to get it approved.  :)

No don't come to your sense's! I thinks its a really awesome build, hopefully we can help each other.   :D

Blackdugal

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2017, 01:04 PM »
No don't come to your sense's! I thinks its a really awesome build, hopefully we can help each other.   :D

Don't worry, I'm Nia's husband and she is still full at it. 

« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:14 PM »
I love that helmet so much

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Update post!

Here are some of the reference shots I've pulled.

I have more pictures, but these are some of the ones I go back to the most.  I've also got some close ups for gauntlets and hands.

I've put together fabric, a preliminary flight suit, template armor, and I'm working on leather patterns.  I've noticed some little disconnects between the reference shots and what shows on the screen - colors are a little different and the flaps on the belt bags slant the opposite direction as from the reference sheet.

I've got pictures to document my progress. Just don't want to double post here.

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018, 03:39 PM by Nia Kad Runi » Logged

EMTS #153

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Based on those references, it looks like the base bucket is a Sabine, but with night owl ear caps.

On the flight suit, she definitely has dark grey cut outs on the hips and the arms are dark grey. I'm not a huge fan of the yaya ham fabrics due to their price, but she does have a grey spandex out that's a pretty close match if you haven't found one.

Sabine Wren S2

Tra'cor Clan || MMCC#1593 || M5#71 || NOS#9 || 104 OM Invasions

Tenebris

« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2017, 04:19 AM »
sounds fantastic.......Was it you that put up the fabric mock on LOL? Put's me to shame I've just been sourcing.

I've put together fabric, a preliminary flight suit, template armor, and I'm working on leather patterns.  I've noticed some little disconnects between the reference shots and what shows on the screen - colors are a little different and the flaps on the belt bags slant the opposite direction as from the reference sheet.

I'm half way through a night sister build, the colour and some costume shaping varies from scene to scene (I think this is a constant with CW and Rebels), I was told to pick one main picture for colour ref and shaping and use others for detail.

Based on those references, it looks like the base bucket is a Sabine, but with night owl ear caps.

That's what what we came up with, Also the Rangefinder is new.......I think, not been able to match it to any existing helmet so far.

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:51 AM »
I don't know if you have this reference yet, but in case you don't, here you go! :)

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2017, 12:41 PM »
sounds fantastic.......Was it you that put up the fabric mock on LOL? Put's me to shame I've just been sourcing.
 . . .
That's what what we came up with, Also the Rangefinder is new.......I think, not been able to match it to any existing helmet so far.

Yep.  that was my fabric.   :)  I actually have the flight suit (version 1) made from it and I think it looks pretty good.  Got thumbs up from LOLs (as I posted there) and my Ruus'alor.  I've hesitated to post here, partly because I'm just a bit nervous about putting it here.  I have sent it in to Ref on the app team. 

I got the lt/med gray spandex from JoAnn's for the inset panels.  I got the black spandex for the secondary neckseal at JoAnn's.  I got this super cool dark grey (that seems to have muted browns and blacks in it) from Fine Fabrics here in Georgia.  I love it because if you get close to it has the mottled texture that you see on the screen shots form the show.

Yes, agreed on the rangefinder - that's what I've figured out.  It's a Sabine helmet (check those cheeks) with modified ear caps.  If you look real close you'll see the "nubs" that look like Sabine's with a component that comes down to make the long "column" or "block" you see on a lot of other helmets (like NME's Assassin or Mercenary, Lonewolf's Executioner, etc. )  I've ordered one of NME's Sabines to be my helmet and I plan to alter it to add the dome/crown.  Not sure if I'll use sintra or possibly use a pepakura type method to build it up (as it doesn't look like it's solid, just looks like a dome, with negative space in there).

I've sourced my Westar-35s and they're beautiful.

The gauntlets look like the death watch ones, with mods. I'm nervous about focusing on that too much, although a friend recently posted some odds and ends he found at his warehouse job and one of the items looks a whole lot like that antenna-looking bit that projects off the side of one of 'em.

Right now, my big quandaries are:

- are these flat grays on the armor or in reality would they be flat metallic? 

I want to treat them as flat metallic. . . but not sure that's how they'd read for a CRL.

- do I need to make the belt pieces (the two clips on the front and the two rectangular bits on the back that hold the back strap of the holster) out of metal or can I get away with sintra?  And If I use sintra, will it look cheesy?

- on the shins, I'm actually planning on altering shins from a Legacy TK.  The curves are the same.  The only things will be adding the box on the side and whether I need to add a curved plate on the front or can draw/etch in the black lines that show on the colorized version of the reference sheet.

PS - oh my gosh.. . Nightsister.  That's on my wish list!  Along with Seventh Sister and my mando 2.0 with metal plates and, and, and. . .   ;D

EMTS #153

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2017, 01:25 PM »
For the paint, it's definitely grey and not bare metal. Check the pictures you posted showing her back with Sabine and lecturing Ezra. You can see there is weathering showing the metal underneath.

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2017, 01:36 PM »
For the paint, it's definitely grey and not bare metal. Check the pictures you posted showing her back with Sabine and lecturing Ezra. You can see there is weathering showing the metal underneath.

Agreed - but the metal underneath looks white in both reference and screen shots and some of the gray items seem like they ought to be metal in real life.  I don't think that's going to read well if they're all flat.  I did consider that for some of the marks on the armor I could use chalk to get the right consistency for the weathering, and then seal it with a flat clearcoat.

I found a really light flat iron that looks white-ish that I was going to try for that metal underneath, although the test sprays look a bit more metallic than flat metallic.  :rolleyes:

Of course, I might be trying too hard to make that happen and need to just shut up, get flat gray and white and move along.  heh.

EMTS #153
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Posting to follow. This is fantastic!

Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi.
                                              -Jango Fett
MTS (Mando-Tough) #098

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2017, 03:22 PM »
I don't know if you have this reference yet, but in case you don't, here you go! :)

Thanks!  :D

EMTS #153

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!