Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Shurik's weapon builds; elegant weapons, for an uncivilized age.

• 32 Replies

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
Hmm, I'd almost forgotten about this  :laugh:

So...what's new and exciting? Well, the pocket disruptor was finished:

However, I have to reconsider its position as part of my kit thanks to the new toy  :laugh: It doesn't illuminate on its own, but the core is a single piece of Lucite acrylic. It comes in a variety of colors, and makes for an excellent glowing edge to any vibroblade or other weapon.

And for fun, the  web gear and knife location:

More to come, so stay tuned  ;) and if you have any questions on the builds I'll be happy to answer. I may even do a tutorial build if there's enough interest in either Lucite blades, blaster builds using realistic bases, or just good old leatherworking.

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)
Since you asked... how about a under-barrel lazer sight?  Think you could fab  a working "other worldly"one to give it a kool profile. That little compact (belly gun) could be holstered at the front of your waist belt , if there's room, have seen it . As you saw my post , my back-up is BIGGER than yours and was holstered as a cross-draw.lol

Shurik Bhar'vani

Since you asked... how about a under-barrel lazer sight?  Think you could fab  a working "other worldly"one to give it a kool profile. That little compact (belly gun) could be holstered at the front of your waist belt , if there's room, have seen it . As you saw my post , my back-up is BIGGER than yours and was holstered as a cross-draw.lol

Good point on the sight! I can certainly try at some point  :laugh: Front of the waist is a bit difficult, here's where it stands at the moment:

I could probably fit it (and its holster) on the shoulder harness under my left arm, but I'm not sure yet as to how comfy it'll actually be. Something im going to have to fiddle with later this week.

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)
I know ... a boot gun! lol. Yeah didn't see all your posts , that you were already sporting 2 blaster... but yeah know , ya can't have too much fire power!

Shurik Bhar'vani

Some more updates, because apparently I can't stop myself from sprinting into the workshop the second I finish work.

I had previously come into acquisition of an airsoft PPsH-41 submachinegun replica several months ago and held onto it through the rapid switching of living locations in March:

After several days of searching (seriously, it's amazing how difficult reference pictures can be to find), I finally found a reference pic from what I believe is Solo (dunno, still haven't seen it) for a Swarzified PPsH build:

Now, I really dislike this particular conversion. It’s not anywhere near as clean as other blasters in universe, there’s some kind of cloth wrapping around the magazine housing for no discernable reason, there’s a pair of dials for some purpose on the stock and the plugs filling the heat guard look absolutely ridiculous. BUT, it’s still an example of what can be done and at least means that there’s already an in-universe example of what I have in my mind right now and also what I can do in the future, so...time to do some gentle deactivation!

Deactivation was not gentle, as I forgot to remove the quick-change spring plug and the mainspring decided to send the contents of the gearbox into low-earth orbit upon opening. Still, my eyesight is no worse than it already was so I once again escape the inevitable consequences of my forgetfulness.

The next steps afterwards were threefold:

1- chop the magazine down

Dremel was very helpful here; chopped the magazine right where it met the locking collar, then ground two new slots to reattach the baseplate. After that I hammered the baseplate on, popped a piece of aluminum in to close it off, and then poured an entire tube of JB Weld into the magazine to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that nothing would be falling off  :laugh: Now, this isn't actually going to be the powerpack for the rifle; while it's going to stay as-is for now (tibanna gas canister maybe?) I might buy a couple sets of heat sinks to install on this instead if I think it needs it.

2- do something about the barrel that doesn't involve installing those disgusting plugs along the heatshield

After....probably three years I finally found a use for the rebreather I had bought from Dresdon Acacin  :laugh: the rubber hosing was an almost perfect diameter

3- swap the rear sight out for a rail to mount a scope.

Not much to say here. Bought a piece of Picatinny, used a milling bit for my Dremel to open one of the screw holes out slightly, and stuck it in the same place the rear sight used to be.

The next steps are going to be slightly out of order chronologically in favor of what the pictures show and how the workflow SHOULD have gone  :laugh:

While discussing with Dresdon whether to do something to the magazine or not, I realized that if I turned it into a heat sink then that would make for an EXCEEDINGLY uncomfortable spot to hold in a firefight if this was a real blaster. Being an absolute sucker for making things appear practical, I decided to add a handguard using the pump from another broken airsoft gun:

It was chopped in half, the interior ground down, and the original locking ring up front cut down so that it would sit perpendicular to the barrel as opposed to at an angle. Around this same time I decided I didn't feel like waiting for a picatinny scope mount to arrive, so I ground down the rail enough that the dovetail mounts of the BB scope I'd purchased would fit:

And that's where she sits now! I'm extremely satisfied with how it looks and will probably keep it as-is, honestly. MUCH later down the line I plan to add some LEDS and other things along the side of the receiver (probably where the wood is right underneath the bolt) but that won't be until I have enough practice with them to not be terrified of messing up (this will likely be the only PPsH base I will ever have to work with after all)

But Shurik, what's that on the stock I hear you ask in my head?

Well, them's the powerpacks:

I acquired an enormous quantity of brass plugs that were defective from my previous job, and realized they fit extremely nicely into the chamber area of the gun without any rattling whatsoever. So, being gorgeous hunks of shiny shiny and figuring "Hey why not since these are much sexier and easier to carry than 2" square chunks of metal that would cost me like $25/ea to make more of?" I decided to make my own version of a shell carrier!

Skipped a few steps before I realized I should be taking pictures, sorry. Base is 7oz leather, while the two loops are 3oz. I just cut some slots in the base, stuffed a rectangle through, and then glued and sewed it into place.

Two layers of range tan, back to back without letting it dry. This is what it looked like on the stock:

Decided it was too light compared to everything else leather I currently have (including the rifle's sling) so I hit it with the Ol' Reliable of mine -- dark brown Antique Gel  ;D

And thus we return to the final result; the Bhar'vani Industries P4-PS1 "Ba'Buir,"  because I can't seem to not name any custom design I come up with like some kind of egotistical maniac  :laugh: also fun fact for the day; the PPsH's nickname in WW2 among Soviet troops was Papasha, or "Daddy." That is all.

For anyone interested, overall build time was about...five days give or take? If I'd had everything from the start, knew what I wanted to do, and had a six pack and some metal music I probably could have completed it in two.

Until next time. Which will probably start sometime tomorrow. Because I can't control or pace myself.

Loving every single one of these, keep cranking out awesome gear!

Markus Vale,
 a.k.a.
SycoticGaming

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
I think that might have been in both Rogue One and Solo.
Your not seeing Solo NEEDS to end.  It's a good movie.

This is yet another amazing build, vod!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Shurik Bhar'vani

Some new updates! Unfortunately, seeing Solo is not one of those. On the list of things to watch, but in between work I am currently rewatching Season 1 of the Mandalorian. I have not seen season 2 yet, as I haven't had a chance to sit down with my better half and binge it.

Been sitting on these pictures for a few weeks now, as I had it completed about a week before Christmas but didn't want to post anything.

In the meantime, here's some shots of what I was working on during the holiday season; I held off on posting anything as it was a surprise christmas gift for a friend and I didn't want him to see it anywhere on the forums.

Bhar'vani Industries' take on the KYD-21 blaster pistol. Base components were:
-deactivated airsoft P08
-Old airsoft AEG spring
-a slice of plastic tubing from a vacuum hose
-a small exhaust whistle

The holster was left undyed as I did not have the colors needed to match the rest of the soft parts this was going to.

The logo is a prototype for Bhar'vani Industries if I ever decide to get off the ground and seriously start making props on commission like I've been saying for years.

And the engraving is in proper Mando'a

I'm quite proud of how well this came out. I'm also quite proud of how much better i've gotten at taking photographs; page 1 of this thread makes me cringe and I refuse to make changes to it  :laugh:

This will probably be my last one for a while, as this was the last base I had to use barring a small pocket blaster that  I'm still contemplating using as a master for resin casting. Right now I'm at an impasse of trying to decide whether to keep making one-offs for fun or try and see if it's worth doing small runs/commissions for sale, especially considering how many other people already make props at prices that I'll never be able to compete with.

Should a new idea (and a new base for a blaster) fall into my lap I have no doubt I'll make something of it. In the meantime, enjoy.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!