Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kath's Soft Parts WIP

• 23 Replies

Kath Gra'tuur

• Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Kath's Soft Parts WIP
« on: Feb 25, 2017, 07:22 PM »
I have been working on different parts of my armor off and on for a while and have several pieces mostly completed.  I am trying to get back into a swing of working on different pieces a little at a time and am going to try and do better about posting and keeping my profile up to date. 

I have several soft parts that I have worked on or am working on.  I will post those pictures later.  Currently, I am making a new flak vest.  I was not happy with my original attempt, and have started this one. 

The cloth is a fairly strong cotton cloth.  (It is actually from a couple of aprons that I have re-purposed.  I was able to keep several sewed up edges.)   I have cut two pieces as seen in the picture.  There are doubled seamed hems up both sides now.  My next step is to work on the neck hole and hem up the neck. 

After I have that done, I intend to sew the front and back together at the top.  I then plan on adding shoulder bells.  My plan on fastening is to be straps on the sides with breakaway buckles sewn in (probably two on each side.  (Just for reference, I also plan on having a black or navy flight suit.)

Here is the first picture:

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Bes'uliik Clan -  Tennessee  OM #2107

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Kath's Soft Parts WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2017, 12:27 PM »
Good plan. If you want to keep the neckline high, put a slit at the center so you get the room for your head to fit through. The collar plate will conceal most of the slit.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Update with new photos: I did not go the route of buckles.  I could not get it tight enough.  I am going with laces.  I am able to pull it good and tight.  (Only bad thing is getting in and out of it.)  Right now I have it laced with paracord, but eventually I will get leather laces.  I will also be wearing a girth belt so if it is a little longer, it will be covered up.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2017, 10:24 PM »
Working on other soft parts.  I found the cell phone pouches at Dollar Tree.  I had seen on another thread these can be used if they are modified and weathered.  You will see in the pictures the thin one on the right is with no mod, "Out of the box."  The one on the left is the one I have started to modify.  I have added a strip on each side to close up the gaps.  It also has a block of wood (which I would paint later if I keep it in) to give it shape. 

My plan would be to weather these and maybe "black wash" them to give them a dirty look.  Thoughts?

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2017, 01:57 PM »
Anyone have thoughts on if this is a good base for a pouch?

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2017, 03:47 PM »
I recommend starting submitting this to the Q&A thread so that the approval team can give an up or down.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2017, 03:56 PM »
Good idea. I will do that.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2017, 06:10 PM »
Per the CRLs, cell phone pouches are unfortunately a no-go. Sorry about that :/

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Per the CRLs, cell phone pouches are unfortunately a no-go. Sorry about that :/

Even with modifications so they don't look like pouches?

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:02 AM »
 I have some scrap leather pieces so I may just make a couple of pouches.

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2017, 10:37 AM »
The modified cell phone pouch is ok. The main reason the cell phone case is not approved in the CRLs, is due to the open spaces on the side, but you've corrected that.  The modified pouch actually looks great.  I'd weather it a bit, to get rid of the shiny new look...otherwise, rock on.  :)

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:40 AM »
Awesome! That will be much easier than constructing pouches from scratch! Any suggestions on getting rid of the "shine"?

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2017, 06:01 PM »
A light sanding (very light) and a generous application of "blackwashing" should do the trick. I'd also love to see how you modded the pouches.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2017, 11:22 PM »
Well there ya go :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2017, 11:27 PM »
I will post pics of the next one I do.  :)

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2017, 10:22 PM »
A light sanding (very light) and a generous application of "blackwashing" should do the trick. I'd also love to see how you modded the pouches.

I'm working on a very basic tutorial to show how I did that. Hopefully have it up this weekend.

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2017, 10:49 PM »
I look forward to it, vod.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2017, 12:17 PM »
Okay.  So I am going to work this weekend on posting some pictures of how I have made my pouches thus far.  These are not yet finished.  They need some weathering and final touches, but this will show you how I formed them and close up the sides.  Any feedback or comments are always welcome. 

Here is what I start with.  I bought these at Dollar Tree.  They are just regular, "leather" cell phone cases. 

**Please note: Cell phone cases generally are not approved for adult kits per the CRLs.  I asked the app team if the way that I modified would be approved.  You can see earlier replies on this thread for their comments.  I encourage you to ask the app team as well if you have further questions.**

Having said that, let's get started.  I start with one case that will be the end product and one that I will cut up extra leather.  You will also see in this picture I cut two blocks of scrap wood (1" x 2") that I squeeze into the pouch to form it.  I glue the sides up with the E6000.

Next, I take the extra pouch and start cutting it up.  I cut the sides off so it lays flat.  Then I cut the edge all around to where I have one long, flat piece.  Once you cut the edges off, you will be able to seprate the "leather" from the cardboard that give it form and shape.  You will tear it off around the round clip.  You will also have to pull off the belt clip.  This will usually cause the material to tear a little bit.  You will see later this is not a problem because you are only using this to make a fill in piece on the sides.  You should be able to create at least 3-5 strips depending on how carefully you cut and trim. 

Next, take the two wood blocks and wiggle them down into the pouch.  This will take a bit of pushing and shoving to get the second block down to where it expands the pouch. 

Next is cutting a strip down to fit on the sides.  I already have a strip that I am using as a template.  The first time will be similar to what I will show as I cut this one down.  I take the template and outline it on the back of my extra leather material.  Once outlined, cut it out to get your first strip to put on the side. 

Once you cut out your initial piece, it will may take several trimmings to get it to the correct shape. This will involve placing it on the side, seeing where it needs trimmed, and cuting down to the proper shape.  This may take several tries.  You will eventually get to a shape similar to this. 

Once you get the first one made, go ahead and use this as a template to make one for the other side.  While you are at it, go ahead an make at least one more for the next pouch. 

Now it's time to glue.  Get the E6000 out and put some on the side of the pouch. 

Now you carefully put your piece onto the side and position it.  Try and make sure you do not press too hard.  You do not want the glue to ooze out the side or the top.  Once on, you will let it sit and cure for 2 - 3 days (maybe not that long).

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2017, 07:26 PM by kathkandar » Logged

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2017, 07:32 PM »
I also made an insert out of PVC.  I am using this to replace the wood blocks so that it can be a usable pouch.  I measured the pouch and got flattened out the proper size and length of PVC. (You could also use Sintra here as well.)  Once it was the correct size and length, I heated it up and shaped it to a "U" shape.  Once it cools, it is ready to go inside the pouch.

Eventually, I will paint it probably a dark brown so it is not obvious. 

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2017, 07:33 PM »
That's all I have for now.  I still need to weather them and rough them up a bit. 

How exactly do you do the "black wash"?

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2017, 10:56 PM »
Outstanding. I can't wait to give that a try. Blackwash typically means taking watered down acrylic paints (usually black and brown, whatever looks like dirt or rust or a patina) and spreading it across the item. Some people let it dry, some folks wipe off most of it. Really depends on how filthy you want an item to look. Here's a link to one of the weathering tutorials: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=46502.0

Have fun, ner vod.

EDIT: How long are those blocks. I know you said 1" x 2" but what's the third dimension?

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2017, 11:07 PM by Anansi » Logged

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2017, 11:33 PM »
Outstanding. I can't wait to give that a try. Blackwash typically means taking watered down acrylic paints (usually black and brown, whatever looks like dirt or rust or a patina) and spreading it across the item. Some people let it dry, some folks wipe off most of it. Really depends on how filthy you want an item to look. Here's a link to one of the weathering tutorials: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=46502.0

Have fun, ner vod.

EDIT: How long are those blocks. I know you said 1" x 2" but what's the third dimension?

Thanks vod! I will check out the tutorial and let you know how these turn out.

I was a little off on the blocks. Each block is about 1/2" x 2" x 3". Hope that helps.

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 09:53 PM »
It's been a while since I posted on this post.  I will be soon posting pics of the weathered pouches.  it's been a  busy several weeks. 

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 10:54 PM »
Here is one of the pouches with the weathering started.  I have sanded it down a bit.  Thoughts for the start?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!