Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Good Cape Pattern/tutorial?

• 4 Replies

NanukIsCurious13

• She was Warned, nevertheless, She Persisted.
Good Cape Pattern/tutorial?
« on: Apr 03, 2017, 10:20 PM »
Dose anyone have a good pattern for half back or full back capes? Or a tutorial on how they made theirs? I'm a bit lost as to where to begin. I know the general shape and length I want for my cape, but not how to go about actually cutting the piece/pieces.

Super excited to be here
Looking at starting my first kit
Any help is appreciated!!!!

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
Re: Good Cape Pattern/tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2017, 09:46 PM »
Personally, I find the simpler the better.  A pattern can be made as long as you've got an idea as to what you want and I've seen (and made) all kinds of capes. You don't need anything fancy to make a pattern, you can even use newspaper (print only, not the glossy stuff) if you use a marker to shape out your design. 

NanukIsCurious13

• She was Warned, nevertheless, She Persisted.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2017, 10:32 PM »
Personally, I find the simpler the better.  A pattern can be made as long as you've got an idea as to what you want and I've seen (and made) all kinds of capes. You don't need anything fancy to make a pattern, you can even use newspaper (print only, not the glossy stuff) if you use a marker to shape out your design.

Never would have thought of using newspaper, but that's actually a really good idea. Thanks!

Super excited to be here
Looking at starting my first kit
Any help is appreciated!!!!

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2017, 09:08 AM »
Glad to help, another good thing to use is gift wrap.  The neat thing about gift wrap is that sometimes you get it with a 1" grid on the backside of it, which really makes it easy to mark out a pattern.

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Most invasions trooped in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2017, 02:42 AM »
The cool thing about capes is that they are generally just squares or rectangles of fabric, so they're not too hard to sew and make or pattern. You can always buy some cheep muslin at your local fabric store (usually between 89 cents to 5$ a yard depending on the width of the fabric) and try out your pattern on a test cape of muslin if you're not sure how it will look. :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!