Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Will cellphone battery pack work?

• 10 Replies
Will cellphone battery pack work?
« on: Mar 09, 2017, 09:18 AM »
Have a question I want to put fans in my helmet that are 5 volts and have a battery pack for cellphone that has two usb ports that are 5 volts,do i need to do anything else to it to make it work so I don't fry the fans and will it power them.I know it's for charging a phone but was wondering.

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2017, 11:22 AM by Greydogtech » Logged

Fi-8015

• Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Will cellphone battery pack work?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Works very well together, just solder a USB-Plug to your fans and you are ready to go.

Resin helmets for sale in the Trading Station

electriFi - Mando Electronics English / German
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Works very well together, just solder a USB-Plug to your fans and you are ready to go.
That's great ,I was hoping it was going to be that easy,I have another question on the usb cord 3 to 4 wires which ones are the positive and negative or are the color coded red and black?

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Cellphone battery pack works a treat!  This is the two fan set ups I put together for our helmets.

If I remember (few months ago now) I Googled on the colour coding for which colour wires do what.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Color-Coded-Wire-inside-the-USB

And to test everything before plugging into the battery pack, I just used a cell phone charger that outputs 5V to double-check I'd gotten it right.

Really easy, cost peanuts in comparison to buying a pre-made fan set up.

Best of luck!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Cellphone battery pack works a treat!  This is the two fan set ups I put together for our helmets.
Ok thdo you have diagram so anks,I do have another question about the on/off switch hook up,when adding switch

If I remember (few months ago now) I Googled on the colour coding for which colour wires do what.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Color-Coded-Wire-inside-the-USB

And to test everything before plugging into the battery pack, I just used a cell phone charger that outputs 5V to double-check I'd gotten it right.

Really easy, cost peanuts in comparison to buying a pre-made fan set up.

Best of luck!
Thanks, I do have a question is this the way it should be hooked up with the switch?

Syko Voss

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2017, 03:16 AM »
Nope - if you connect the switch like that you're creating a loop between the battery terminals.
Connect it vertically in your diagram - so it breaks only the left positive wire or the right negative wire.
All the switch needs to do is open/close one of the lines from the battery into the rest of the circuit.
One tip I found useful - blobs of hot glue over the solder/exposed wire areas make it so much easier to guarantee you don't get short circuits when you're bundling it all up to fit in the helmet.
(Oh, and I attached the fans to the helmet with bits of Velcro - so much easier to adjust when trying to get the airflow right)

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Okay have another question will thus work for adjusting the speed for my fans they are 5volt as is the battery pack.

Syko Voss

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Not sure, myself.  I'd get the basics wired up and try that first - running two fans off one USB you might find you don't really need to regulate the speed. (I didn't)

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Here's my battery pack its 4"x 2 1/2"x 3/4"

Once I get my fans I need to figure out best place to put battery.

Syko Voss

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Ours are just adjacent to the keyhole slot in the back - away from our faces and beside the venting at the back of the helmet to keep things as cool as possible in there.
I glued fuzzy velcro around the battery and then attached a length of hook velcro with a washer and a screw - a length big enough to wrap around the battery securely.
That's held it into place for a fair few solid days of trooping no problem!

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Ok wasn't  sure if it would make helmet offset with the weight of battery.Good idea for holding  the battery in.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!