Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mando WIP

• 17 Replies
Mando WIP
« on: Mar 12, 2017, 06:04 PM »
Hello all. I've decided to take the plunge and start working on a set of Mando armor. So far, all I've got is a sketch/color scheme and an uncut sheet of Sintra. But hopefully, it will end up being an approvable kit.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Mando WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2017, 04:11 PM »
I'm really digging your design.  I'm looking forward to watching this come to life.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:02 PM »
Looks like a solid design.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Laaran Dala

• Though she be but little, she is fierce.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2017, 08:41 AM »
Your concept looks good, and I love your color scheme.  Can't wait to see it come together!

Update - Templates
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2017, 06:21 PM »
I've finally got templates made thanks to Kuu's dart method tutorial. Next step : cutting everything out.

Update - Cut and Formed Pieces
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2017, 06:59 PM »
I didn't order enough Sintra, so I've only got the torso pieces right now. Over estimated how big the darts needed to be in the chest plate, so now I've got some nice big gaps to fill in.

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Trust me, it is easier to fill in gaps then to try and remove extra sintra from the end of too-small darts. (Benn there a lot)  :laugh:
I usually use duct tape on the back and then do tiny shims of sintra to fill in most of the extra space, then bondo over it.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Don't forget to post sizes on you. Ab looks a little longer than normal, so you may need to trim it to actually fit your belts in at the waist.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Concept looks good! But I would definitely recommend posting a pictures with the plates on your before you get too much farther so we can see if the size is right :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Don't forget to post sizes on you. Ab looks a little longer than normal, so you may need to trim it to actually fit your belts in at the waist.

Thanks for the reminder, Kris!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2017, 09:46 PM »
As you suspected, the ab plate is definitely too long. On the other hand, I've got my girth belt and loin cloth done.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2017, 06:59 AM »
Long practise makes the sizing eye work :)

Sash and loin cloth look good. If you haven't already I think trimming down something like this and shifting the ab up would be your best option:

Xirra Vaand

• If you ain't cheatin' , you ain't tryin'
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2017, 01:46 PM »
Love you concept! The colors are similar to mine. Good luck vod!

MMCC #1760 - Mir'shebs #18 - M.M.R.S #4 - M5 #85

My  WIP thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=119407.0
Weapons WIP : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=120285.0
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I haven't posted in a while, but I have been working. Eitanya hosted an armor party back in May, so at least I know that my armor's sized correctly now.

I've changed my color scheme a bit. Instead of being mostly gold with red highlights, it will be mostly red with gold highlights. My helmet and body armor is mostly painted, but I'm still trying to decide what (if any) details/highlights should go on the knees and gauntlets.

Gauntlets & Knees

Left Gauntlet with Screen

Body Armor

Helmet

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2018, 09:59 PM »
Yay, progress!

I like the just "enough amounts" of gold on the helmet and the chest plates. Whatever you end up doing with the knees/gaunts, I'm sure it will tie in very nicely. :) Plus, you can always repaint!

« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:17 PM »
I've tacked my armor plates to my flak vest, but I wanted to get some feedback on placement before making anything permanent. Do you guys think anything needs to be changed?

Thanks for your help!

Kris Jasra

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:06 PM »
From where they are in that picture, the collar is just a touch off centre, make sure that's dead central before placing it first and putting everything else lined up with that. Then move the chest plates together just a touch if you can and trim the diamond down a little to fit (or trim the top and bottom of the chest plates around the diamond) so that it slots in with an equal gap surrounding it. Then just pop the ab into the gap.
You're pretty much there, beyond the trimming most of the changes I suggested are likely due to tape slip from the looks of it so should be perfect on the final attachment when they won't shift.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!