Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Looking for advice/suggestions for Helmet Fins

• 5 Replies

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
Looking for advice/suggestions for Helmet Fins
« on: Apr 05, 2018, 05:12 AM »
So I want to put a fin on the helmet for my current WIP. Personally I hate the Clone Trooper Helmet Fins and was thinking of something more similar to the Rocketeer Helmet (Note: not actually a Rocketeer Fin). I am planning on designing the fin and making out of a double-thickness of sintra.

I was hoping you guys would be able to give some advice and/or suggestions on how to install it to the helmet. The best idea I came up with was cutting a trench in the helmet dome, inserting the fin, securing it, and cutting off the excess from the inside via dremel. Thanks  :)

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Looking for advice/suggestions for Helmet Fins
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Yet the profile shape of a phase 1 clone fin is about the same, only less pronounced.   The trench plan isn't bad, though you might end up with some wobble.  How about cutting notches and tabs instead of a full trench?  That would be structurally stronger.  It'd mean you need some more fine tuning when you cut and fit, but it'd probably be worth it.

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2018, 07:19 PM »
Another option would be to counter sink several rare earth magnets, it would allow the fin to be removable for easier transport.

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2018, 11:40 PM »
Yet the profile shape of a phase 1 clone fin is about the same, only less pronounced.   The trench plan isn't bad, though you might end up with some wobble.  How about cutting notches and tabs instead of a full trench?  That would be structurally stronger.  It'd mean you need some more fine tuning when you cut and fit, but it'd probably be worth it.

Another option would be to counter sink several rare earth magnets, it would allow the fin to be removable for easier transport.

Those are some good ideas. I'll have to play around with each. The other option I thought about was the trench idea, draw the line, then close up the trench with fiberglass, but then I'd at least have the shape.

I like the magnet idea, but would be worried about loosing it while moving around.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Look for the Wolves Of Mandalor, Syper the Western Regional Commander has a neat fin bit on his helmet albeit in an unconventional orientation but he also has a group with similar fins.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2018, 02:47 AM »
Look for the Wolves Of Mandalor, Syper the Western Regional Commander has a neat fin bit on his helmet albeit in an unconventional orientation but he also has a group with similar fins.

I'll look him up, thanks!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!