Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sep Ho'ban - Helmet WIP scatch build. --MK III Starts on Page 3

• 45 Replies

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
the brim on my wife's bucket is too wide, so I built it up with a couple of layers of sintra (scrap bucket pieces work too.

She likes the ridge lines, so I wont blend the curve into the dome.

hope that helps.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
So.. decided to split the difference between a pep build and standard Home Depot Bucket build.

With that in mind... Quin Gin Helmet MK III!

The dome! -- WOF Templates at 110% based on the size of the brim on the MK II helmet

The base-

The Visor Layer -- Decided to take the opportunity to do the squared off cheekbones

With Cheeks:

Testfit!

Next steps: Figure out Earcaps, Keyslots, Visor Cutout, and Bondo. Will post a pic of my planned visor layout later.

Feedback welcome!

The Bearded Mando

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Nicely done on the dome :)

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
Thanks. It was my friend's idea. I think it'll be a lot easier to get to something smooth this way, and I got the cheeks I Wanted out of starting over too. 

Paint Scheme and visor mockup -- thinking the trapezoid int he visor needs to be a little larger.  Please excuse my crewed MS paint work!

What do you think? Overall paint scheme for the kit is Dark Blue, White, Black, and Gray.

--Quin

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
Interested to see how this goes.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Sep Ho'ban

Earcapt concept:

The bottom part is 2 layers of sintra, and then the shape in blue there is a raised tapered greeblie that tapers from bottom to top in dept in addition to width.  The darker gray rectangle inside the blue represents some kind of aliminum grating or grill work.  The black rectangles will be fairly thick, elevated greeblies, and will be pretty true to their shape here.  The top moves to 3 layers of sintra.  Thoughts? Planning to do a matched pair.

The Bearded Mando

Right now the earcaps seem a bit blocky to me. Perhaps shaping the top a bit.
or
hope this helps

Sep Ho'ban

With earcaps and visor cut out.  I have pretty good vision as it sits, obviously not total, but less limited than I expected. I walked up the stiars with it on right after cutting it out.  Just enough room to slide the cheeks past my glasses, and just enough room for my glasses when It's all the way on.

I know I need to trim the left side of the very bottom about an eighth of an inch. Fill the gaps between the earcaps and the bucket -- bondo dome, cheeks, earcamps, sand and clean up visor opening. 

What do you think so far?

And 2nd coat of bondo on dome, 1st on cheeks

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2017, 08:32 PM by Quingin » Logged

The Bearded Mando

Re: QuinGin - Helmet WIP scatch build. --MK III Starts on Page 3
« Reply #38 on: Mar 29, 2017, 12:44 PM »
A bit heavy on the bondo (you have some sanding in your future). Looking good so far.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #39 on: Mar 29, 2017, 12:49 PM »
A bit heavy on the bondo (you have some sanding in your future). Looking good so far.

Has to be to even things out.  I've sanded, and am on my 3rd coat on the dome now.  I think this might be the one I can finish sand, but we'll see.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #40 on: Mar 31, 2017, 08:19 PM »
This my first time interacting with bondo.  Scratch built helmet -- 3rd coat of bondo and sanded.

My question is: Am I done with bondo, or do I need another coat?

Front View

Back view

Thanks in advance for feedback.

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #41 on: Mar 31, 2017, 11:10 PM »
Needs a bit more filling. Hit it with a primer coat to highlight those spots. Coming along great.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #42 on: Apr 04, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Little more bondo and then I'd start the spot putty. After sanding of course.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #43 on: Apr 15, 2017, 11:33 PM »
Progress update:

Desided to knock the ears off and replace with a different design.  Was never happy with how bulky they had become.  New set are 2 layers of 3mm sintra, with vent holes cut in.

I need a bit more bondo on the right ear (left side of screen), and a bit of finish sanding on the dome.  Anything else jump out at anyone? (primer coat is fresh and still wet, I have not swtiched to gloss primer)

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #44 on: Apr 29, 2017, 12:43 AM »
Just a progress update. Getting a mirrored visor installed tomorrow:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!