Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sep Ho'ban - Legacy Kit - WIP (Approved) and Upgrades, Approved Privateer/Mech

• 145 Replies

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: QuinGin - Legacy Kit - WIP -- based on Ohl'D Vart's Templates
« Reply #25 on: Apr 04, 2017, 07:31 PM »
I'm liking the progress! :)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: QuinGin - Legacy Kit - WIP -- based on Ohl'D Vart's Templates
« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2017, 10:30 PM »
Got a lot of work done with a fellow future Murraan Mando today. This isn�t pre-app, but it�s Pre-Paint pics.  So I need solid feedback on what needs additional trimming (and how much)  and shaping before paint.  Also going to bevel every edge of every plate when I disassemble for paint.

Full front: I can tell I have the plates shifted to one side a bit, but that�s just a matter of adjusting the sidestraps more evenly. Girthbelt is only tacked, but is being sewn the rest of the way. together.  Also already took another half inch off the the bits of the chest plates for my arms.  Other than that, what needs adjusting on this view?

Left side: Have the shnkees marked to trim them so there�s an even arc vertically.

Right side:

Back: After taking this pic, realized I had some things misalligned.

Revised/Reshaped backplates:  Nylon webbing and duct-tape between chest and back plates is getting replaced with black leather straps and buckles.

Hand plates:

Alright, so there�s the update.  Need as much detailed feedback as possible so I can make revisions before paint.

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2017, 11:09 PM by Quingin » Logged

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: QuinGin - Legacy Kit - WIP -- Pre-paint pics, feedback needed
« Reply #27 on: Apr 09, 2017, 08:01 AM »
The only thing I see is that your backplate is sitting a bit low and needs to come up a touch. In the outside pictures it is at the right level so I think in the close up picture things might have shifted. But it is something to just be aware of.

As for everything else, looks solid all around!

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Apr 09, 2017, 08:08 AM »
The only thing I see is that your backplate is sitting a bit low and needs to come up a touch. In the outside pictures it is at the right level so I think in the close up picture things might have shifted. But it is something to just be aware of.

As for everything else, looks solid all around!

Awesome! Thanks, I'll knock the corners off the tips of the backplate so it can sit a little closer to the collar, make the mounts for the shoulders bolts instead of duct tape, and then start disassembling for paint. 

« Reply #29 on: Apr 09, 2017, 10:22 AM »
I might suggest trimming the cod. Cods are hard enough to kneel in, yours looks a little wide like it might interfere or even fall/snap off

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #30 on: Apr 12, 2017, 08:44 PM »
Got feedback in clan that the gap between the back of my neck and the backplate was too large.  I traumaish plate to lay over part of the top plate and fill some of the gap.  Does this look like enough coverage to you guys? (or do I need to slide it up another inch or two? And what do you think of the look?

« Reply #31 on: Apr 13, 2017, 12:50 AM »
I really like that!  Although I'm a big fan of trauma plates, so I might be a bit biased.  The trick with trauma plating though, is to keep it incorporated throughout your kit.  A single section might look a bit off.  I think that the plate definitely helps with the neck gap.  The only thing or modification I might say is that cutting that divot/triangle out of the trauma plate is kinda accenting the gap now.  Any chance you have a bucket, or could borrow one to see how it looks with a helmet on? 

Formerly known as TheRevan1te

Rin V'khari

• #allthefilth
« Reply #32 on: Apr 13, 2017, 08:45 AM »
Yeah, lets see it with the bucket on...makes a big difference some times.  I used the same templates as you and modified with trauma plates and a lot of trimming.  One thing to keep in mind is how you'll put it on...will there be enough gap to fit your noggin through?  Personally, even though mine is strapped for suspension, it is technically fixed with my spaulders in place (with Chicago screws)...in order to fit it over my huge melon I have to turn my head sideways.  It's definitely been an experience getting the plates to lay right and articulate the way they should.  My WIP's in my signature, if you need tips or suggestions I'd be happy to help  :)

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #33 on: Apr 15, 2017, 09:49 PM »
Pics with bucket as promised.  My plan is to attach the bottom edge of that plate with chicago screws, and then about 2/3rds of the way up use hidden snaps on the side edges.  If I do that, I can put my head through, and then have someone snap the sides down.  If I end up getting to a place where I can't, I'll chicago screw 3 corners of the shoulders, and then use snaps for the final corner so I can open one side of it, slip in from the side and snap closed.

Front:

Back:

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #34 on: Apr 24, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Some painted and reassembled kit. The helmet,  most of the chest and the back are still with Keely Siri getting paint.  Those plates are all blue in the middle with copper edges.   Chicago screws are currently in primer but with get some hand painting to match the part of the kit they are attached to on Friday.   

As always, feedback welcome. 

Following Pics are all pre-weathering.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/Themes/Exodus/images/bbc/url.gif
Back:

Chest -- collar in previous pics:

Helmet:  Earcaps and the small interior section of cheeks will get the silver treatment similar to middle cod plate, and trauma plate for back plate.  Cheekbones will remain midnight blue, with weathering similar to the pics in the previous post.

Helmet awaiting weathering and visor:

Thanks again to KeelySiri for paint work!

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2017, 04:04 PM by Quingin » Logged

Milori Te'Bell

• The Unstoppable Mandalorian
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: QuinGin - Legacy Kit - WIP -- Paint on last page
« Reply #35 on: Apr 29, 2017, 02:38 PM »
Looking good Vod.
How much plastic did you need for the plates? In square yards or meters.

Just replace Episode 1 with Weird Al's "The Saga Begins" and a YouTube clip of the Darth Maul fight.  All the story and good bits, none of the Jar Jar.
Bearded Mando #018

MAJIC Member #116

Kilted Mandalorian #009

Only a Mandalorian can make his girl a gun, and get appreciated for it.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #36 on: Apr 29, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Based on looking at what i have left on my floor i have used about 70% of a 4 ft b 8 sheet. Or 2.5 square yards on the plates.  That doesnt account for all the home depot plastic in the helmet tho.

Also-- Varmint hunting:

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2017, 05:25 PM by Quingin » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 10:19 PM »
New Photos at FMC today with Kuu and the gang:

Front:

Right:

Back:

Left:

Helmet Off:
http://i.imgur.com/gegfm8G.jpg

Gun:

Sep Ho'ban

Re: QuinGin - Legacy Kit - WIP
« Reply #38 on: Jun 06, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Just got my approval email! Thanks for all your help! This sub forum was massively important to completing my build

Sep Ho'ban

Re: Sep Ho'ban - Legacy Kit - WIP (Approved)
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:25 PM »
So, the kit last time I trooped: 

The kit while I was mocking up a shoulder upgrade:

I'm going to be remaking the torso plates (they're too wide for me now) , and I have a question for my legacy peeps:  My current plates float on straps.  Those of you who have tried the solid construction, how do you like it? 

Also... de ja vu time: 

Then and now paper templates -- left side Old Vart, right side Drake -- size feedback? My instinct is it's still half inch to an inch too wide on each side (also still working on losing weight). 

bellybutton represented by tape at bottom of frame.

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2018, 02:56 AM by Sep Ho'ban » Logged
Re: Sep Ho'ban - Legacy Kit - WIP (Approved) and (Re-opened)
« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Instead of trimming the chest piece back at the shoulders by the half inch, try rolling the edges inwards. That's what I did with mine and it gave it some definition

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Your instinct is pretty spot on. I would bring the templates in by about a half inch. That should give you a better fit.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Instead of trimming the chest piece back at the shoulders by the half inch, try rolling the edges inwards. That's what I did with mine and it gave it some definition
Definitely went through your WIP again last night :)   What did you use to attach your trauma plates to the base plates?

Your instinct is pretty spot on. I would bring the templates in by about a half inch. That should give you a better fit.

Thanks Naran! Mobility is definitely a priority with this set, so I will be checking that carefully once I'm in plastic too. 

« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Definitely went through your WIP again last night :)   What did you use to attach your trauma plates to the base plates?

I want to say loctite professional grade super glue and Bondo. Haven't had any issues yet with the falling apart and they get mo ved around alot.
I've never had any luck with E6000.
It could have been a 2part epoxy though.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Also never had luck with E6k, one of my friends swears by it though.... Have heard that PVC cement (like for PVC pipes) bonds sintra together well too... may have to do a test on some scrap.

Will figure out size of trauma plates after the shaping work is finalized on base plates. Rough shaping on chest done -- backplates are a team sport, so calling it a night.  Following the advice to leave wide and sand down.  Still some more curves to make in the chest, but at present, feels wide.  :) Happy building everyone.

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2018, 09:53 PM by Sep Ho'ban » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2018, 11:46 PM »
Many thanks to Keely for helping me out with getting my chest ab collar and back plates shaped:

Silver marks on side of top chest plate are where I am planning to make the first trim to.    Will do that, put the straps on, and then plan out the trauma plating.  I know the edges need cleaning up, and I have plans for that.  I also know there are some final shaping tweaks to make, but part of that I need to trim the top of the collars to flush mount with eachother before I finalize.

Feedback welcome :)

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:40 AM »
New paint application teaser pic:

Should be getting the plates into paint sometime next week.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Looking great...that backplate shaping is awesome; I wished mine looked that good (back when I had one---I got frustrated, and ditched it for a duster, lol).

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Thanks!  The backplate involved the use of an oven, me laying on the floor and a friend basically laying hands and both forearms on it to get all that curve.  could not have done it on my own.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #49 on: Feb 17, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Westar -- Wookie Special -- model courtesy of Sean Fields:

Trauma plates:

Shnees -- still need to design trauma plates for these, but Keely helped me shape them today

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!