Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sep Ho'ban - Legacy Kit - WIP (Approved) and Upgrades, Approved Privateer/Mech

• 145 Replies

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Sep Ho'ban - Legacy Kit - WIP (Approved) and (Re-opened)
« Reply #50 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Ok, there is the original sep WIP. lol not sure if this was on the one in the clan or not. nice looking back and seeing how far you have come, seeing as we have 4 more members up and coming with this same design i figured brushing up on it to learn something for myself would be a good thing.  my next questions
1. the shnees you just updated. how did you manage the curve you currently have? debating something similar for the brother.
2. suggestions on the shoulders and attachment, are you doing the TK style strapping and leaving it attached to the chest and sliding into it later?

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #51 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:24 PM »
This is the legacy subforum one lol.
1: 200 degree oven, with sintra on a sheet pan, 5-8 minutes, until VERY floppy.   I put on my boots and a pair of jeans, Keely put on a pair of work gloves and I sat on the floor and she pressed the pplate on my leg.  Same thing for back plate, but I wore a hoodie.

2. For my new shoulders, I am doing a single strap connecting to the strap that connects my front and back collar plates-- if that isn't enough, I'll add a strap that goes around my tricep.   For the originals -- I attached the shoulders to the top chest and top back plate and put it on like football pads.

Raynos Ge'tal

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #52 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:29 PM »
appreciate it. i will be sure to take those to task when the brother gets his stuff made.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #53 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:35 PM »
Physical weathering and primer on chest plates

First coat of copper -- center will get blue over the top once again, edges will remain copper, all will get blackwash

Shin trauma plates, E6000 and clamps

Raynos Ge'tal

« Reply #54 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:45 PM »
Moving right along. looking real nice on the detail!

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #55 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:11 AM »
Thanks. The hope is that these plates are an upgrade in quality over the old set in ever possible way. But still keeping the same basic layout and paint scheme.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #56 on: Feb 24, 2018, 11:05 PM »
Plates after blue topcoating, and blackwash -- still have some black drybrushing to do for some scorching and clearcoat before I can assemble.  Also need to attach Murran Cog to the backplate, and Chest Diamond -- it's in primer right now lol

Jedi temple guard mask that Sep found in the rubble of a building he blew up -- Jedi either force ghosted or escaped, whereabouts unknown -- needs some drybrushing and clearcoat before it goes on as a shoulder plate. (gold Detailing by Keely)

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #57 on: Feb 28, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Assembly of the torso.. kitted up by myself, and some hasty pics.  Some things that just need to be put on better, and some to do notes:
Probably need to add bicep straps to the shoulder plates
couple of the strap sections front and back need a little bit of shortening to keep the plates alligned.  The back is not sitting where it should be due to speed and lack of flexibility on the part of the wearer.
Biggest problem with any of the alignment is I haven't run the straps from back to front yet on the bottom plates.   Once I kit up with waist items I will need to see where/if that bottom back plate needs a trim like last time. Looking at it, I suspect i may not. If so, probably way less than last time, but that was always in the plan.   
Paint the rivets, all the rivets, ALL THE RIVETS...
Weather the softparts more to match the weathering of the upgrades.

I know it's not all on me perfectly right now, and I know the job's not done, but after 2-3 weeks of having a pile of plastic on tables and in bins, I really wanted to see that turn into armor last night.  Overall, I'm really happy with where it's at, and with the improvement in quality over the plates these are replacing.  Will definitely post side by side app style photos when it's all finished. :)   

Oh right... pics:

Raynos Ge'tal

« Reply #58 on: Feb 28, 2018, 03:14 PM »
we will get you squared away. depending on when your package arrives.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #59 on: Feb 28, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Roger that! And thanks!  Will get as much doen on my own as I can in the meantime.  Still some more things to learn before these upgrades are done and I start planning the next upgrades lol.

« Reply #60 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Looking good. My only "criticism" is that your rivets are showing. I do believe, though I could be wrong, that they must be painted to match the armor with exception to battle damage.

**** edit ****
 Being the dum dum I am, I over looked where you talked about rivets. I really need to be wearing my glasses

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #61 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:50 PM »
No worries... I wrote a bit of a novel on the front end of that post.  I think these plates are a good case for why rivets SHOULD be painted... they stick out pretty badly at present.  And I don't think just dulling them with sand paper would do much to fix it.  I have a pen sander arriving tomorrow, and then I can sand them to prep for paint without hating life.

Nano Rey'son

• Rebel Dad
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Kit is coming along great. Love the weathering

It is better to be a Warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war
M.V.S 080 l L.O.B 61 l V.O.T.S 90

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #63 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:37 PM »
So, the paint in the  renderings below isn't completely accurate -- Brass is standing in for Copper, and the copper will end at the top of the brow ridge and follow the brow ride all the way around the helmet-- but here are the renderings of the helmet that will be part of these upgrades -- modeled by me, soon to be printed, finished, and painted by me :)  This is my first really complex modelling project.  Many thanks to Sean Fields, Buddy Livingston, Matt Robinson, Keely Graesser, Bowfanny and Naran  for feedback along the way!

Pics:

Nano Rey'son

• Rebel Dad
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #64 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:12 PM »
looks good

It is better to be a Warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war
M.V.S 080 l L.O.B 61 l V.O.T.S 90
« Reply #65 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:27 PM »
Ahh Sean field$... I love his work.. I had actually thought of using his shoretrooperfiles for my heavy build.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #66 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:13 AM »
One of his shore trooper shoulders is part of this build :) I know him IRL, he's a genuinely good human being in addition to being an amazing designer and maker.  He'll have a Fen Rau in the MMCC sometime soon.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #67 on: Mar 15, 2018, 04:33 PM »
Got the helmet printed and assembled with a combination of superglue and e6k.  Due to some printer issues and failed prints, the two back sections of the dome are assembled from multiple prints, after caliper measurements of the part that printed to print what was left.  This resulted in some misalignment that I worked on preassembly, and will have to finish sorting out in the bondo/sanding phase. 
I am pleased with the fit.  It works with my glasses.  Keep in mind it will get raised about a half-inch to an inch off my head when I add some foam.

Keyslots and earcaps will get added later on. 

Because of how many pieces the helmet is made of in order to fit it on my bed, I decided I should fiberglass the inside.  But.. I hate fiberglass-- itching-- etc.
So, on the advice of Bowfanny, I decided to use Bondo Fiberglass Resin, but use Blue Shop Towels as a stand in for tfor the fiberglass mat. 

I added a second coat of just resin about 30 minutes after I finished the initial layup, and it seems to have worked really well.  There's almost 0 flex in the helmet, and my test piece of papertowel is definitely reinforced :)

Will get a 2-3 coats of black plasti-dip inside later tonight.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #68 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:11 PM »
So, the biggest update in my life is that I have a son now, hence delayed update -- he'll be a month old in 2 days.

But... now I also have an un-shiny new helmet. 

Jut a bit of tidying up on the rest of the kit, and a bit of UN-tidying up on the rest of the kit to go.  Will be posting pics of the full thing after Fan Expo DFW :)

« Reply #69 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:27 PM »
Awwww little mando playing with daddy's blaster collection...

Haha congrats btw

I like the chrome visor. Are you planning on a lighting kit for it?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #70 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:37 PM »
My vision for this guy is demolitions. Any lighting I add to it is gonna be in the form of a headlamp.  The mirrored visor is a call out to Molly Millions (aka Molly Mirrorshades) from William Gibson's Burning Chrome, and the Sprawl Trilogy.  She had mirror lenses covering her entire eye area. 

I might be a nerd...

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #71 on: Apr 02, 2018, 09:46 PM »
Congrats on the new baby!

And the armor looks great; paint and weathering really pull it all together. Not sure I like the bucket design itself, but you it came out awesome :D

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #72 on: Apr 02, 2018, 09:49 PM »
Thanks Slade! Fortunately we're a custom club. The design is made of choices, not compromises, and it fits the aesthetic I want.  I want it to look and feel like it can deal with explosions, cause it's likely going to be Demolitions at some point this year or early next.  Thus no RF, and the somewhat blockier design. It also fits on my head with glasses, and is narrower than my first helmet.  (Just explaining some of the choices) It's also got some callbacks to my old helmet, and some call forwards to my new trauma plates.

Thanks for the compliments on the paint.

« Reply #73 on: Apr 02, 2018, 10:02 PM »
I just want to say this is awesome  and the shoptowel in resin sounds like something to keep in mind as I hate fiberglass. Whenever I get to building a bucket...

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #74 on: Apr 02, 2018, 10:04 PM »
Thanks! Shop towel was something Bowfanny recommended :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!