Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Build 1.5 - Akaleh Skirata

• 228 Replies

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Build 1.5 (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #120 on: Jun 14, 2017, 07:00 PM »
I'm impressed with your level of modification, no one will ever be able to say, "I have a pair just like those." :laugh:

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #121 on: Jun 14, 2017, 10:32 PM »
Boots look great.  As long as they aren't poking you then I'd say leave the staples be.  To be completely honest, if things look too "professional" they end up not looking Mando IMO.  Slightly irregularities, random (but plausible) wear all make a kit pop.  You're on the right path.

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. OM #1882
« Reply #122 on: Jun 15, 2017, 12:53 AM »
Thanks, guys! I did end up hot gluing over the staples cause they snagged on my socks when I took the boots off, and I got some insoles, so they're way comfier and fit better now too. I might do a little more weathering so it isn't obvious that I was trying to cut off brand names.

I got my ears almost completely attached tonight! They're still 100% removable in case I need to take them off for painting or something. Some epoxy is still setting up and I'll be set! Kryamla helped me out a ton with some shots of her finished version. It was nervewracking, but it's done and I'm super happy!

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #123 on: Jun 15, 2017, 07:20 AM »
I bow in respect for your ideas with those shoes. I'm going similar way - covering the laces in boots I feel comfortable with, and... How to put it... Expendable. :D

Your weathering looks good. What I'm doing in that cases, I imagine what happened and what kind of damage would it cause. If you put cutmarks where brandnames were, it might apear too regular. Bu if you imagine where did that shrapnel exploded, and how the shoes saved your legs, you get where to put more, and where to ease out. Or the marking of the creature that tried to chew your foot away...

Have fun with coming up what tha hell hapened there!
I'll be glad to hear that battle story! ;)

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

trashcanmando

« Reply #124 on: Jun 15, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Oooh, you gave me a great idea. I wasn't too sure about the pattern of cuts over the brand names, but if I add a few more spots like that in the right area, it could totally look like something tried to chew my foot off. I should probably go back with some sandpaper and scuff up the paint on my plates to look like more natural weathering- Akaleh takes a lot of ops that don't necessarily require combat, so I need to look like I waded through thorny bushes, rolled down a hill, got caught in a sandstorm, stuff like that. I think sandpaper would emulate all of that damage nicely with a rough enough grit.

Og' Reh

« Reply #125 on: Jun 15, 2017, 10:01 AM »
 8)

Glad to help.

One thing I love about aluminium armor I make, is that if I want to weather it, I can just... Do it.
Just today, I've been running sharp edged metal through my shnees, where sword-cuts could be. Looks better, than any other weathering technique I did so far! :D

But the same can go with leather. Just remember not to go too far! :)

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Like... BOTH of them?

Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

trashcanmando

« Reply #126 on: Jun 15, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Heh, that's close to what I did for my plate weathering. Just take a knife and cut off the top layer of paint. Being able to damage the actual plates themselves though... Metal armor is where it's at.

My helmet's ears are all installed! I keep looking at it like 'do I actually own a Mandalorian helmet? I do. I own that. It's mine.' It's a good feeling. So now I just need the visor and keyplate installed, and I'll be ready to paint it! Then padding, and it'll finally be wearable! I'm already fantasizing about a voice changer.

I'm redoing the closures on my gauntlets too, I'll post some pictures here once the final version has been decided on.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #127 on: Jun 15, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Glad I could help ya vod :)

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #128 on: Jun 15, 2017, 07:29 PM »
For what it's worth, I'd suggest painting before you install the visor.  If nothing else, it's less taping that you have to do.  :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

trashcanmando

« Reply #129 on: Jun 15, 2017, 10:16 PM »
Advice taken, ba'vod.  ;D I'm installing it with the help of Shammah, who has a trick that makes the visor completely removable, so we can install and then I can take it back out and paint the whole thing no worries.  :)

trashcanmando

« Reply #130 on: Jun 16, 2017, 11:24 PM »
Okay, update on the gauntlets: I do believe these are the finals, or at least very, very close. Havelock's been helping me a ton, and I just need to make sure these are approvable.  :D

Ripped out the velcro and drilled some holes. I had one take with simple leather ties, but they weren't very swarzy and to be honest the quality was not my best, so now it's leather strips and snaps! I'm happy with them, I think the quality is good, and I like the look, so now I just hope the App Team agrees.  :)

The strips are a bit fuzzy right now but that'll be easily fixed with a few seconds with a heat gun. The final shot shows where I'm going to glue and trim them if I get the go ahead, after fixing the paint job. The glue even came off clean with a little elbow grease!  ;D

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #131 on: Jun 18, 2017, 01:13 PM »
For what it's worth, I think those look much better.  Once you get it repainted, and if you can even up the cuts on the leather - 'cause it's looking just a little ragged  :P - you might just be good to go!   ;D

So....what else you got?  I want to see more.   :laugh:

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

trashcanmando

« Reply #132 on: Jun 18, 2017, 02:12 PM »
I'll clean it up and make it look all pretty once I know the App Team approves! Didn't want to get too attached and then have to go with something else again  :laugh:

Patience, ba'vod!  :laugh: But I've got a good start on my knife holster, Shammah gave me some really nice pouches yesterday, I got a start on attaching my plates, and the helmet is coming along so there'll be a nice big photo dump pretty soon.  ;D

Og' Reh

« Reply #133 on: Jun 18, 2017, 02:40 PM »
Waiting... Still waiting for that big update! ;)

Holsters... I knew I there was something I've forgotten. Thanx for reminding! ;]

- Like... BOTH of them?

trashcanmando

« Reply #134 on: Jun 20, 2017, 11:54 PM »
So....what else you got?  I want to see more.   :laugh:

Waiting... Still waiting for that big update! ;)

Holsters... I knew I there was something I've forgotten. Thanx for reminding! ;]

Okay, well here you guys go! I spent literally all day on beskar, and everything is done but attaching my plates and finishing my helmet!

First off, the best bathroom selfie I've ever taken:  :P

It doesn't look like a lot of progress, but the helmet is slowly getting closer and closer to finished! I got the visor cut out today, as well as finishing epoxying the magnets in the ears. Also smoothed down the inside of the T. (Totally forgot to attach the rangefinder for this pic I was so excited to be seeing the world through shade five lol) I still need to put in spacers to hold the visor, and reinforce the lower bridge. Hopefully after that I can finally paint it? Shammah's been directing me through this, thanks man.  ;D

And here are pics of almost everything else I've been up to! I redid the sash to be much easier to put on, now it's more than half as long and twice as thick, and attaches with overall strap button thingies instead of tying. My holster is finished and I have Shammah's wonderful pouches! (And a stack of Merc/Vhett Manda business cards!  ;D) First pics of me in my new boots and gloves, and I finished up the gauntlets! Plus a doorag or however you spell that, cause I can't do a ponytail in my helmet, and I gotta keep my hair out of my face somehow. Thinking about embroidering a mythosaur skull on that.

Better shot of the finished holster and cool pouches:

And of my gauntlets. They didn't turn out like I intended, but I think they're still okay. I got black dye and told myself I could just soak the leather for a couple seconds and make it darker brown. It does not work that way. I had ebony leather. I managed to wash 'em out a little though.
Also, fixing up the paint where the velcro was did not turn out being as easy as I thought. You can still tell if you're looking for it. I'm hoping it passes for 'plausible in universe defect' and not 'really should've resanded that spot before painting again.' At least, I think that's what did it? But it's right along the tape-off line, so it can't be sanding... I dunno. But they're done. I'm probably worrying about that line too much, bet nobody but me will ever notice.

And finally, I painted my kit box! It took way more spraypaint than I thought it would, and copious amounts of sealer. But I'm extremely pleased with it.  ;D I made a stencil for the Vhett Manda version of the mythosaur skull, and already had a mythosaur stencil that I freehanded a while ago to make a sweater.

I totally forgot to spray one of the handles gold, but hey, the box doesn't need to get approved and was just for fun, so I'm not going to bother with it.

And in the evening, Ivy came over and we got a start on her kit! She was eager to dig right into the blasters, we even bought a bastard file. Yep, I went through this whole kit with nothin but sandpaper and a sanding dremel bit. I do believe we said something at the clan meeting about what we think about 'doing things the easy way'. As in, we don't.  :laugh:

We got some stuff at Walmart too (including an airfresher for my kit box cause the paint stench is horrid) and then we started on Ivy's gauntlets! I hate to admit it, but I got the angle wrong on them and the first one is a little loose around the wrists and won't even go all the way around the thick part of her forearm.  :-[ And they don't sell the toilet brush covers we got anywhere in our town. But I'll post a link to her WIP forum here when she gets it up!

Oya, vode! I'm so close!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!