Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Build 1.5 - Akaleh Skirata

• 230 Replies

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
Re: Build 1.5 (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #25 on: Apr 03, 2017, 12:01 AM »
I'm really glad to see you're making progress!

And don't stress too much about your blasters.  You'll knock this out.  I have faith in you, vod'ika.

Thanks, ba'vod!!  8) I'll try and do you proud.

Nice job on the cloak, is that wool? First pictures it looked like it, but now it looks more flannel. Love the design you came up with for the beskad.

As far as buying a helmet and plates, look around in the merchant area on this site. And whatever you do please ask for recommendations from people (more than one) on the Mercs site before you buy anything. I can give you lots of horror stories about people paying hundreds of dollars for stuff that either never gets to you or is junk/unapprovable.

Thanks! I'm terrible about keeping my wrappers, but I poked around on walmart's site and I think it's 100% polyester. I almost want to say there's catnip in it, my cat loves lying on it so much lol.
My brother practically pounced on the beskad, and it's already roughed out and has some preliminary sanding! Gonna bulk up the handle a little, clean it up a little more, belt grind the blade, and then paint it!

I'm far from an expert, but I'd be happy to discuss buckets.  I'm a bit obsessed.  I would definitely steer you away from Etsy.  Stick to the merchant area here.  I'll skip espousing the benefits of building your own bucket (again) or Shammah's eyes will roll back in his head.

Happy to discuss buckets anytime, I think we're all obsessed here, haha!
It'd be awesome to build my own, but I already tried it three times with cardboard (uhg) and it went... poorly. If I hadn't burned myself out with those, I might be willing to give it a shot, but I also just don't trust myself to not screw up something major.

I'm having trouble finding anyone on the forums who sell just a standard Jango helmet- I'm 5'4" and might need something a little smaller, but aside from that the Droodles helmets look really promising. I tried to find the sewing tape measure to get my head circumference, but it seems to have gone mysteriously missing...
This one also looks encouraging (the one right on top there)- it's a #nobobblehead, standard Jango, and I'm loving the idea of an aluminum outer coat.-> http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105237.0
I'd like the RF earpieces and I'm going to be picky and fill in the arrows on the dome, but I can always ask about all that. They don't sound like alterations that would be too difficult to make on my own, either, so long as I can find someone willing to sell just rangefinder sets.
And of course there's finding the visor and installing it, but that doesn't sound hard. (I just jinxed myself, didn't I?)
 I couldn't find anyone at all currently selling plates, some recommendations would be fantastic.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 12:07 AM by Akaleh Skirata » Logged

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #26 on: Apr 03, 2017, 12:39 AM »
Looks like you're on the right track!

As far as the bucket goes, if you can afford it,  go with NME props. They are the only shop that doesn't sell in the forums you'll see actively recommended,and for good reason. They're buckets are top notch, and they have a reasonable selection. They even offer visor installs for a relatively low price. They are not, however, cheap. There are also a number of good sellers here on the forums. Droodles, Dah Brahl, Vessk, and Lonewolf all also have good quality helmets. Each has their own unique offerings so it's worth checking them all out. If you're on more of a budget, you might look into TMA. They'll take a bit more work, but I understand he's recently lowered his prices and remastered his mold for better quality. You also migjt keep an eye out for B-Pulls. Sometimes you can pick up a bucket for a pretty good deal if you're willing to deal with some defects.

Be careful with buckets.  I'm up to 6...not including my fiancee's...abd I'll be getting probably 2 more before the end of the year...

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #27 on: Apr 03, 2017, 12:44 AM »
As to visors, you can get a welding face shield, shade #5 for a very reasonable price.  That's what many of us use for our visors.  The welding supply shop here in town sells them for around $7.  You can find them online for pretty cheap.  As an example, you can look here if there's no welding supply shop reasonably near you.

As for plates, I think the Mandalorian Arsenal sells female armor.  Check out the Who Sells What post for some good leads on vendors here on the forum.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #28 on: Apr 03, 2017, 01:04 AM »
Honestly, I wouldn't buy plates. They're expensive and eCD end for the ladies not that hard  There's a very useful resources to help if you want ideas,  which you can find here. Its more work but I honestly believe you will end up with something you are much happier with.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

trashcanmando

« Reply #29 on: Apr 03, 2017, 01:18 AM »
What!! I ran all over looking for visors last year, and all I had to do was call it a welding face shield instead of welding visor replacement?? Thanks so much!

My plan so far is to just go ahead and use male built armor- it's easier to find and I'm... small. Before I got a more feminine haircut and still had teenager face, I was constantly mistaken for a guy. But I'll trawl through the femmando forums and see what they have on the topic.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy plates. They're expensive and eCD end for the ladies not that hard  There's a very useful resources to help if you want ideas,  which you can find here. Its more work but I honestly believe you will end up with something you are much happier with.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do more research on making before I order anything, then! Right now I'm pretty much just considering my options, I won't be rushing to buy helmet or plates. Thanks for the link, too!

edit: Didn't see your reply on buckets, thanks for all of that as well, I'll be sure to check them out and consider my options well!

I did find this forum, I'm loving the idea of real metal, and it's a great price with shining recommendations, but the only problem is that the plates are just 1mm thick and I love the more solidly three dimensional plate look.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=61771.0

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: Apr 03, 2017, 09:53 AM »
I love my Droodles, but it is large. Definitely try to make your own plates. Just be careful what material you use, 6 mm sintra is the material of choice for first kits; not terribly expensive and relatively easy to work with.  Other material that has a flex to it often won't hold paint well (bends and the paint cracks off). Some plastics won't form a persistent bond with paint or adhesives, and you're going to have to install attachments to fit it to your kit. I remember this one guy in the clan who had this thick yellow plastic... Never mind. :laugh:

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

trashcanmando

« Reply #31 on: Apr 03, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Due to all the encouragement to try and make my own plates again, I printed out the templates to try and see how hard it would be to trim down what I have. The results are pretty encouraging, I'm feeling optimistic about this! I found the 5'3" templates, it turned out that on my first run I had the 5'6" ones. Whoops.

Here's how they line up on my current plates- you can see that I need about half an inch off all around.

The collar plate that I modified is narrower than the template, which is probably the main thing I would have to change to make fit my body type. I'm more or less taking the templates as 'suggestions' and planning on reshaping where needed.
Here they are taped up on me, finger on my belly button as suggested:

I think it looks much better! Gonna need a little modification around the shoulders for my considerably less broad torso, but it's amazing what a difference half an inch made.

Here's a picture of how the beskad is coming- I was going to wait until I had the hilt bulked up and things sanded down a bit more to post a picture, but I'm too excited, and the title does say pic heavy, haha. It makes cool swishy noises when you swing it!

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #32 on: Apr 03, 2017, 01:45 PM »
Great job.  Your templates look pretty good.  The collar looks a bit wide for you - like it's sitting too far toward your shoulders.  If you trim a bit off, then trim the chest plates to match, you should be good to go.  From what I can tell from the picture of the templates on top of your plates...your plates may actually work as they are.  Can we get a picture of them taped on for comparison?

And hooray for cool swishy noises!  Your beskad is coming along very nicely.  Keep up the great work!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #33 on: Apr 03, 2017, 02:32 PM »
I'm really tempted to suggest another 1/2" off the outside of the collar, chest and ab. Slim people don't usually need much of a bend (that's what the extra material is for) so what you see is what you get. Can you reach forward without being gouged by the collar?

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #34 on: Apr 03, 2017, 03:14 PM »

Got my boots at walmart, they're both steel toe and waterproof. I love them and wear them for many other things as well, so I'd like to not have to modify them. (Rest assured, they are authentically weathered.  ;D) The boot plate would cover the brand name, which is on the tongue. The only other thing is a small tag that simply reads 'WATERPROOF'.

I am in the same position.  I have a very nice pair of naturally weathered boots that I wear for other things, and didn't want to deface them for my kit.  So I looked for ways to cover the laces without having to glue snaps or velcro to them.  After seeing R Dano Camino's solution, that's what I went with.  I glued belt clips to the underside of the boot plates, and you can just clip them to the laces.

trashcanmando

« Reply #35 on: Apr 03, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Great job.  Your templates look pretty good.  The collar looks a bit wide for you - like it's sitting too far toward your shoulders.  If you trim a bit off, then trim the chest plates to match, you should be good to go.  From what I can tell from the picture of the templates on top of your plates...your plates may actually work as they are.  Can we get a picture of them taped on for comparison?

And hooray for cool swishy noises!  Your beskad is coming along very nicely.  Keep up the great work!

Here's the templates taped onto the plates-

Collar's a little funky, but I'm hoping I won't have to cut out a third one. I'll trim to the templates first and then see what needs to come off after that- thanks for the pointers on that, Shammah, the collar place is definitely still stabbing me with any forward arm movement.

Thanks so much, Bare, that sounds like a perfect solution for the boots! Does the clip slide around any or is it pretty stable?

We made a duct tape dummy today to help with the flak vest and armor placement, here's how that turned out.

edit: Trimmed 'em up! I was way too nervous the entire time. The collar plate is probably going to need to be cut out again. I don't think it comes back far enough on my shoulders. It's definitely in need of some trimming. Maybe it should come closer to my neck, too. Does it look like I should still narrow the chest plates out?

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 04:32 PM by Akaleh Skirata » Logged

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #36 on: Apr 03, 2017, 05:59 PM »
hello mate, your collar plate should be up as high as you can get it without choking yourself this will give you that extra space to play with i think then it's a simple case of measuring your other plates off the collar plate. ;)

Havelock

« Reply #37 on: Apr 03, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Jett's right, vod'ika.  :) 

And your plates are still looking pretty wide.  If you take a look at Jango:

You can see just how much of his torso his plates don't cover.  You'll want the sides of the collar to end far enough from your shoulders that it doesn't interfere with your mobility.  Then cut your torso plates to match the lines of your collar.

The spacing for your plates appears to be pretty even, so I think vertically your plates are good.  You just need to get the width trimmed, and you'll be golden.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #38 on: Apr 03, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Is that the latest picture of your plates? Definitely need to be narrower. Havelock's right, look at Jango then look at that picture. The collar is about right for size, but the chest needs trimming (maybe on the inside - chest diamond side). That should bring a little length back to fill in the gap between collar and ab once your collar is up. You may want to slide them together in the middle and see if that will actually help before trimming. Then the ab will need trimming on the outside edge to match the chest plates. Don't be too shy, follow the same contour on the inside of the chest and outside of the ab edges and you'll be fine. Raise the collar, keep the same spacing, belly button is just below the ab plate. That space will be filled with belts, and that will pull everything together. ;)

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

trashcanmando

« Reply #39 on: Apr 03, 2017, 09:52 PM »
It's looking like I'm gonna need a whole new collar plate again... the neckline is too shallow, so I can't get it up any farther, and the tab thingies don't go far enough back on my shoulders.

It feels so counter intuitive for plates to actually cover so little. Nothing covering your floating ribs and having full inch gaps between your plates goes straight against my practical soul, and I keep thinking of the weak points in the armor... But I got everything trimmed up!

I think it looks pretty much okay, gonna need a new collar piece. From that angle the chest plates almost look like they could use still more off, but they're a little bit distorted from where the duct tape holds them down. I don't want to take any more off until I know how they are attached to the flak vest.
And the duct tape kept falling off, so the gap between the chest plates and collar plates looks bigger than it actually is... it just wouldn't stick to the shirt. Shoulda taped the plates to each other.

Havelock

« Reply #40 on: Apr 03, 2017, 10:03 PM »
Once you've got your flak vest, we'll be able to get a better idea of your plate fittings.  The vest will bulk you up more than you'd think.  I'm pretty sure, though, that you'll need to trim the width on your chest and ab plates more.  Oh, and you don't have to have a full inch spacing. 

It feels so counter intuitive for plates to actually cover so little. Nothing covering your floating ribs and having full inch gaps between your plates goes straight against my practical soul, and I keep thinking of the weak points in the armor... But I got everything trimmed up!

And I am so there with you! 

From the CRLs:

MUST be fitted and spaced correctly depending on armor/body type. Good rule of thumb, maximum spacing should equal no more than 1 inch between collar/chest/gut plates. No more than 1/2 inch between diamond and chest plates.
Must be of adequate size in proportion to your chest area. Chest plates should not exceed 1 inch beyond edge of collar maximum.

So you've got some wiggle room.  :D

But lack of really complete coverage is why my eventual goal of joining the Force Hunter Brigade has me planning on adding flank plates, and having my biceps, thighs, and shins as enclosed as possible.  hehe

trashcanmando

« Reply #41 on: Apr 03, 2017, 11:21 PM »
I'll probably end up with roughly half an inch spacing all around.... I like it closer together, proportionally, and my proportions are already super scaled down, haha.

Dude! Force Hunter Brigade would be amazing! Have you considered Legacy armor? The overlapping plates look considerably more protective.

I take a martial arts class and have been obsessed with armor since I was, like... ten. Being so small, I rely on a lot of speed and mobility, so Legacy and full coverage plates wouldn't work for me, but I sure do like my body armor. Technically, though, the flak vest is also very protective, and the plates more or less get all the vital organs, so I suppose if you think of the flak vest as armor as well...

Havelock

« Reply #42 on: Apr 03, 2017, 11:35 PM »
I considered Legacy, but with Boba being my favorite character, I really wanted to go Modern Era.  Plus...I'm still very much a newbie at this, and a Legacy build is probably a bit beyond me at the moment.  heh

In the stories I've written for my mando, the flak vest and flight suit are both additional armor.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #43 on: Apr 04, 2017, 09:00 AM »
I think you've got it. Still look a bit wide though. The upper outside chest corners should line up with the lower outside of those on the collar. The shoulder plates will need a little shortening. That they no longer look proper scale is witness to how much you've taken off the rest. Your collar is right on the outside, but may be loose about the neck, neck seal and buy'ce will affect the look of that.

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

trashcanmando

« Reply #44 on: Apr 05, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Okay, last picture for the chest plate trimming, I hope! At least until I get the flak vest done and see how everything is on that. I took about 3/4ths of an inch off the shoulder plates, but that's all that's different in this one.

I worked on the back plates today- ended up with four plates instead of three, and I added an unplanned little indent in the middle there. Saw it on a couple other back plate designs like this one and really liked it! They might need just a touch more trimming for spacing, and they look like they stick out on the dummy, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure it'll look different with the flight suit and flak vest instead of taped straight onto a mannequin. And of course the blanket cloak will cover most of that. At least when it's not too hot to wear it, heh.

Also, look what came in the mail today!

I'm actually shocked that it fits so well, I was sure a men's 34 would be way too big on me. It's actually a tad tight in places, like around the armpits. And when I raise my arms straight up, the crotch seam rides right up... I'm considering sending it back and getting a 36, but I'm not really sure how much bigger that would be, and maybe coveralls are supposed to be tight in places. I won't sew any pockets shut until I'm sure, though.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #45 on: Apr 05, 2017, 06:52 PM »
looks good.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #46 on: Apr 05, 2017, 10:55 PM »
The flight suit is awesome. You won't be reaching straight up much if ever when kitted because your back and collar plates probably won't let you. Also, don't know if you've considered hemming the legs. Two things to consider there: 1. I sewed some thick elastic strapping on the end of my legs that runs between the soul and heel of my boots. Works great for keeping everything in place while trooping, but stretchy so I can sit down (watch your pant legs when you sit and you'll see what I'm talking about). I suggest anyone wearing a one piece flight suit do the same. 2. Can you work some of that length into hiding your boot laces so your boot plates don't have to work so hard at it? Just a thought.

I really think those torso plates are close. The shoulders still look a little long, but that could change after you get them on a vest. And I like your back plate design. Vhett Manda is cursed with difficulties when it comes to making them, looks like you dodged that. Keep it up, you're going in the right direction. ;)

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

trashcanmando

« Reply #47 on: Apr 06, 2017, 12:42 AM »
Realized I said the only thing I changed about the plates was the shoulder plates, but I forgot that was the first pic with the new collar plate. The new one's much better.

Thanks for the encouragement!
My plan for the flight suit legs was to sew a strip of elastic on the bottoms so they hook under my heel. The boots I have are horrible about keeping pants legs inside them, and I'm of the opinion that if you're going to have boots, your pants should stay in them, as to show off your awesome boots! Guess my boot plates are stuck working extra hard.  ;D
I'm still considering getting a size up on the flight suit... it's right on borderline tight enough to be uncomfortable. But I'll probably just decide it's too much trouble and make do with this one, heh. The woes of ordering online, I really need to just be able to try a couple on.

Yesss I have avoided the curse! I have a feeling that a traditional back plate probably would have went really badly. Can't wait to get all the plates painted and weathered! And then start on all the more complicated lower plates and gauntlets, oh boy. Unfortunately, it's really wet and rainy right now.
What's this blackwash I keep seeing people talking about anyhow? I saw a trick with brushing on black chalk dust and sealing it for a carbon dust look, I really liked that.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #48 on: Apr 06, 2017, 08:52 AM »
Black wash is a generic term for weathering with paint to make things look dirty/grungy. I say generic because operations on different planets may mean your dirt is a different color. I used black for good ol' Iowa clay. The process is simple enough and there is more than one. I used a water-based latex, applied it with a wet sponge and stopped when it looked honest. Consider, you've brushed up against something dirty, what color is the dirt? How high was what you brushed up against? Which way were you travelling: walking, crawling, ducked up against it for cover? How long you been out? Hours? Days? Weeks?

You need to do what you need to do on the flight suit. If it's uncomfortable change it, but bagginess is not good. My suit's a bit baggy, you learn how and where to tuck it in.

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

Havelock

« Reply #49 on: Apr 06, 2017, 10:19 AM »
For me, damaging, painting, and weathering were the most fun parts of the build!  I think you'll enjoy it to, vaar'ika. 

The flight suit looks great, but like Shammah said, if it's uncomfortable, it's uncomfortable.  If you need to go a size up, go ahead and do it.  Be prepared to take a larger flight suit in some, though. 

For my black wash, I started with black acrylic paint, then watered it down significantly,  Then I added brown, and more water.  That turned out to be too thin, and I was running out of black and brown, so I added some red, and just to see what it looked like, a bit of red, blue, and purple, too.  When I started applying my mix with a brush, the red seemed to dominate, but with my bronze kit, I turned out pretty nicely, I think.

For the barrels on my blasters I used some black eye-shadow for carbon scoring, then sealed that with hair spray.

I'd suggest you paint up some of your scrap sintra and experiment with different paints or chalk dusts, or fuller's earth, and just play with them until you get the particular dirty look that looks best to you, then go to town on your kit.  Also, check out this awesome weathering video by Adam Savage.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!