Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Build 1.5 - Akaleh Skirata

• 230 Replies

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
Build 1.5 - Akaleh Skirata
« on: Mar 31, 2017, 09:21 PM »
 CURRENT STATUS: OM

FUTURE UPGRADES:
-upgraded flight suit
-bladed staff
-flashlight/headlamp
-redone gauntlets
-redone plates and flak vest

FINISHED UPGRADES:
-laceless boots
-staff
-mirrored visor

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This last year, I made my first attempt at a beskar build. Totally freestyled it, didn't come up with much of a plan, tried to go cheap as possible.  Wasn't worried at all about MMCC requirements, seeing as I got an account yesterday, lol. But now I've gathered my resolve, my funds, and support, and I'm ready to give this a shot.

Concept:
Didn't bother to draw on the boot plate after I realized I needed one, haha. I'm shooting for a simple plate that just covers the laces in solid gold. (Heavily weathered, planning on chucking those plates around in the gravel driveway  :D)

What I have so far:

Plates:
Due to my first ill-fated build, I have some salvageable parts. I'm hoping to be able to use the plates I cut out of a trashcan, but if they aren't going to work I'll just buy a full set of plates instead.
(Cut out a new collar plate today. This armor is cut from a pattern for a male. I am a rather petite female, so naturally the collar piece was too wide in proportion. I also trimmed the part of the chest plates by the arm pits down because they kept stabbing me every time I tried to move my arms forward. Anyways, that's why the collar plate is white.)
Wanted to get any problems with spacing, placement, and possible trimming addressed ASAP. (Keyplate not included, but I do have one.)

Weapons:
Thinking about replacing the small practice knife with a larger one, something like a beskad. Or keeping both.
Pocketknife is just an old handmedown from my brother. The blade doesn't lock, but it looks sweet and has a clip for belts.
I'm really pleased with the rifle, it just needs some touching on the paint job, weathering, and to connect the rifle sling (which is actually a guitar sling haha). There might be some screw holes to fill in as well. I think it was originally a prop for a Kinect console. Are the plastic covers on the bipod and barrel okay or should I see about cutting them off?
I haven't done anything to the twin pistols yet, I quite like the paintjob they have. I'd like to just fill in the screw holes and weather them up. (They light up too! The only problem is that then I can't fill in the screw to the battery compartment.)

Soft Parts:
The cloak was cut from half a blanket and then I ratted up the edges. I think I'll have to do the part that's hanging down as well, instead of just one edge. I might need to cut down the size in general, it's still a bit too wide.
I actually got a new belt since this picture was taken, and found some material for the sash, but it's just raw cloth now so I'll wait until I have that shaped up a bit more before getting an updated pic. It's pretty hard to see my belt pouch there, but I'll get a clearer picture with it soon.
The trophy string is embroidery thread braided together, with some beads, various teeth, an arrowhead, a crab claw I found in the woods, (weird place I know, I wasn't anywhere close to a river. found one of the teeth out there too.) a fish whistle, and the One Ring of Power tied on. (If including the One Ring would be a problem, I can easily remove it. I thought it was a nice little cameo, especially since it just looks like a gold band from any more than two feet away. You have to get really close to see the writing.)
Got my boots at walmart, they're both steel toe and waterproof. I love them and wear them for many other things as well, so I'd like to not have to modify them. (Rest assured, they are authentically weathered.  ;D) The boot plate would cover the brand name, which is on the tongue. The only other thing is a small tag that simply reads 'WATERPROOF'.
The gloves were super cheap at a resale store. Not anything very special, and I'd like to upgrade when I have the chance, but they do for now.

Stuff I Need:
Lower plates, Gauntlets: I don't have any plates beside the beta test trashcan ones, and I'm a bit apprehensive about trying to make cod and knee plates. Then again, if I end up buying, my problems are solved. I don't even know where to start with the gauntlets, but one thing at a time.
Flight Suit: I have coveralls that I hope will fit for a flight suit coming in the mail.
Flak Vest: I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do for that. Black duck cloth sounds good, though.
Helmet: I have accepted that it will be too inconvenient, time consuming, and expensive for me to build a helmet, so I'm planning on buying one.
Holsters and Pouches: I'm going to need at least two more pouches. The one I've got will barely fit a granola bar and pocketknife. I've got an assortment of small items I want to carry with me, ranging from food to glow sticks. I don't have any holsters at all.

Thanks for reading, I'm looking forward to this build and joining the aliit!

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2021, 10:30 AM by trashcanmando » Logged

Cakes

Re: Build 1.5 (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2017, 09:56 PM »
Concept looks awesome and you got a great start. The blanket fits the part. I can't see the blasters though.
You're plates look a little big for you. I'd try the next size down for templates. You can always modfiy them once you get the basic size. The boots will work but i'd remove or paint over the waterproof.
For pouches try army surplus.  Mauser pouches are pretty common and usually have natural weathering done. I also have an old gasmask pouch for larger items i may not be able to fit.

Tythim Kirrem

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2017, 10:05 PM »
So, you were right about the collar being too large. In fact, all of the plates look big. I would really trim down the sides of the chest plates, or work with a smaller template. It's hard to tell how far down the belly plate is, since we don't know where the belly button is (you might consider taking a second picture with your index finger on your belly button, just for reference). I understand that this is a male reference, but you can get a general idea of where the plates should end, and how far apart they should be.

Basically, the bottom of the belly plate should end around your belly button. It shouldn't really extend further than that. As for the vest, duck cloth should work fine. It's what I had first used, before I scrapped it. It's a popular material for vests, kamas, and loincloths, actually.

While the One Ring cameo bit would be cool, and really fun, I believe all non-universe items / objects, including anything from fantasy genres, are not allowed to be worn on kit, sadly. It -might- be subtle enough to get away with, but you would really have to get a second opinion on it. I wouldn't suggest including it, personally.

Everything else looks really good, that I see. I love the concept art you've got. There should be a bunch of gauntlet tutorials and WIP's in the Armor Construction section of the forums if you're looking for inspiration and tutorials.

Manda'galaar Clan | OM #1736 |
L.O.B. #0034
#1 approved NME Deathstalker

trashcanmando

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2017, 10:39 PM »
Concept looks awesome and you got a great start. The blanket fits the part. I can't see the blasters though.
You're plates look a little big for you. I'd try the next size down for templates. You can always modfiy them once you get the basic size. The boots will work but i'd remove or paint over the waterproof.
For pouches try army surplus.  Mauser pouches are pretty common and usually have natural weathering done. I also have an old gasmask pouch for larger items i may not be able to fit.

Thanks very much!
I'm not sure what would be wrong with the blaster pic, is anyone else having troubles with it?
I'll see what I can do about sizing down the plates, I was starting to get a sneaking suspicion that I needed a size smaller altogether.
Marking over the waterproof tag worked great, probably the easiest thing I'll ever have to fix lol

So, you were right about the collar being too large. In fact, all of the plates look big. I would really trim down the sides of the chest plates, or work with a smaller template. It's hard to tell how far down the belly plate is, since we don't know where the belly button is (you might consider taking a second picture with your index finger on your belly button, just for reference).

Basically, the bottom of the belly plate should end around your belly button. It shouldn't really extend further than that. As for the vest, duck cloth should work fine. It's what I had first used, before I scrapped it. It's a popular material for vests, kamas, and loincloths, actually.

While the One Ring cameo bit would be cool, and really fun, I believe all non-universe items / objects, including anything from fantasy genres, are not allowed to be worn on kit, sadly. It -might- be subtle enough to get away with, but you would really have to get a second opinion on it. I wouldn't suggest including it, personally.

Everything else looks really good, that I see. I love the concept art you've got. There should be a bunch of gauntlet tutorials and WIP's in the Armor Construction section of the forums if you're looking for inspiration and tutorials.

Understood, thank you! I'll replace the One Ring, it's not cool enough to risk it lol. And I have this cool little chicken skull just begging to be used.
Wow, the plates are a lot farther spaced than I was thinking, thank you for the reference! I'll see what I can do with the plates and get another pic as suggested!

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2017, 10:56 PM by Akaleh Skirata » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2017, 12:54 AM »
For spacing, you're allowed up to one inch between collar and chest and chest and abs, with up to a half inch around the diamond.  And I'd suggest going down a couple of sizes on the templates; those are huge on you.   :)

And I'm not sure why, but I can't see the pic of your weapons, either.

You're definitely on the right track with your kit.  Getting your templates, putting up the photos, taking the feedback you receive into account - you're doing great with this build, even as early in the process as you are.  I've seen a few people post up their pics then basically ignore the feedback they receive and then they have lots of trouble at application time.  So you're doing great.

Keep up the good work, vod'ika.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

trashcanmando

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2017, 01:05 AM »
Heh, an inch is always bigger than I think it is. I don't even remember what size these were originally, but I've got a lot of time next week to try and get the plates sorted!

I updated the weapons picture, it turned out to be that I'd changed the image name after getting the URL and that's what the issue was... I'm using the DeviantArt stash as an image host and planning to change my username next month... That's going to be absolute havoc. I'd better just get an account at an actual image hosting site. But for now the image should be fixed!

edit: I just went ahead and did it before I got too many images, everything should work now, assuming I got the right link

Ah, thanks so much! Means a lot to me to know I'm going about it right!
For some reason I have an urge to call you ba'vod... You just seem like the type of guy that is everyone's uncle, if you know what I mean. ;D Thanks so much for all the advice and support you've already given me!

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2017, 01:54 AM by Akaleh Skirata » Logged

Cakes

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Blaster rifle looks good. I don't see there being an issue with the plastic covers.  You may want to take a dremel to the practice knife to change its shape (looks a little earthy), or even use it as a base for a custom blade. As for the pocket knife I'm going to think it won't be passable. Metal blades tend to be a huge no no for most events. You could repurpose the pouch for a piece of equipment, maybe a small thermo detonator

trashcanmando

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2017, 09:24 AM »
I think I'll try to use the practice knife as a base, thanks! Pity about the pocketknife, it's one of my favorite pieces, but I can't lie and say I didn't have a suspicion that it might not pass.

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I agree with Cakes about your weapons.  I think he's right on track.

And feel free call me ba'vod.  You'll be the first, and it's kind of cool.  :D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2017, 11:41 AM »
First off, you're off to a solid start

That said, Havelock and Tythim are dead on about your plates.Tythim did a great job explaining sizing, but I would add you want the outside of your chest and collar plate to fall just inside the shoulder joint so as to not impair your movement too much

One Ring paint job itself would be dubious at best, but you can certainly do an "inspired by" paint job.

Your weapons are a good Start, but IMO need more modding. Right now they look sci-fi, but not really Star Wars.  Star Wars tends to look more...Raw. More wires, tubes, exposed workings, etc. Remember that they used real weapons as bases. The plastic covers themselves are OK. They just need more greeblies added to make them look Swarzy.

That's all I see right now. I'll lurk and comment though. Keep it up.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

trashcanmando

« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Nice profile pic, ba'vod.  8)

Thanks, Malakier, good reference point! Welcome aboard, the more advice I can get the better!
Thank you for the input, but I'm not sure how I feel about greeblies. I'd like to go for a cleaner, more... minimalistic look if I can manage it. Maybe it's more of an acquired taste and I'll be adding them to everything by the end of this build, lol. Do you think a lack of them would get me dinged, or is it more personal preference?

Here's some pics of how the belt is now- I want to get the extra pouches from a place that's only open once a year in the late summer (sort of a festival event, lots of great leather stuff. got most of my trophies there) and I don't have any holsters yet, but I got the sash, new belt, and updated trophies done. I know there's a little extra belt flap there, but this is just in a tshirt instead of with flight suit, flak vest, and plates, so I'm not going to trim it until I know how it is over that.

The trophies laid out and a better view of the pouch- no one ring, add real skull!

Hopefully I can get down to business with the plates early next week, and the flight suit is supposed to arrive Wednesday.

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2017, 05:07 PM by Akaleh Skirata » Logged

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2017, 05:15 PM »
In of itself clean weapons without a lot of greeblies are fine. None of mine are very greeblied up in fact.  However, right now your weapons look more generic sci-fi then Star Wars. Like something out of Mass Effect or something like that. If you can find a reference picture of A Star Wars weapon with similar look you're going for, that would be best. Doesn't have to be exactly the same (heck, I turned a Clone carbine into a mare's leg), but that will give you an idea of the general look to go for.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Havelock

« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Nice profile pic, ba'vod.

Thanks!

Your belt and the pouch look great!  Waiting until you have your other soft parts is, I feel, the right thing to do before you get to trimming anything.  And those trophies are very cool.  I'm not sure about the skull, though.  It could pretty easily get damaged, and I don't if Disney/LFL's rule about "no gore" applies to actual skulls, so you'll want to check on that to be sure.

Unfortunately, your blasters might get dinged for not being star wars-y enough.  Not sure if they will or not, but it's something to keep in mind.  If you're wanting sleek and minimal, Westar 35s/Sabine's blasters definitely meet that bill, and they're pretty easy to make with sintra and pvc cement, or some wood.  Alternately, if you want to try to mod the blasters you have, you can post a pic of them in the Weapons Armory and ask for some advice.

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Love the concept, great start.  Following along for updates.

I agree with the feedback given so far.   8)

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Commenting to Follow .. welcome to the Mercs...  ;)  8)   

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2017, 11:29 PM »
What they said for size. You should be able to reach not quite straight out front without getting armor bite from the collar. As for spacing, I like the rule of thumb width between plates because that automatically scales to the size of the person wearing them. Love the blanket. That level of damage/weathering is perfect - do the edges. Use your imagination. Think of who your character is, where she operates, what she does and how she moves, then let that guide what the weathering looks like. Be random with scratches and dings; uniformity is unrealistic. I was inspired by my metal water bottle and how the paint has chipped off of it over the years. Each scratch, each ding tells a story. Look for these sorts of examples around you.

As for the weapons, if you spend a little time filling in some details on them and maybe drilling or filing out new ones, then paint and weather them they may be fine. I know there are a lot of people here that can tell you exactly what they are and where you can get them. The idea is to make it so they say, "Hmm, is that a (fill in the blank)? She did a good job of fixing it up."

Glad to have you in Vhett Manda. Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing more. ;)

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

trashcanmando

Re: Build 1.5
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2017, 11:51 PM »
Welcome aboard, Fork, ConDar, and Shammah! Two from my clan and an approval team member, nice!

I found several incidents of mercs using small skulls or real bones, general consensus seems to be that small animal skulls are okay. The bigger they are, the less likely, it seems, but mine's got a beak and fits in my closed fist; it's also a lot tougher than it looks! Should it be an issue later on, it'll be really easy to switch out.

Thanks for the tips, Shammah, very good advice!

I worked on the blasters for a while until I got frustrated and switched to the beskad. I've got way more experience with stabby things than shooty things, heheh. I'm going to use Cakes' advice and try to use the practice knife for the base. This is the design I found that I liked best (straight from the beskad wookiepedia page, too, sometimes original is best ;D)

Here's the quick template mockup I did, also wrapped the handle with some leftover cloth from the sash.

Changed the blade cut out to mimic the patterns on my armor. I'm going to see what we've got for easy to work plastics lying around, more or less make a sheath for the practice knife, and glue it in.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2017, 12:44 AM »
How big are you thinking of going with this? I made my beskad 18" long overall - good size for a melee weapon or chopping brush for cover. Need to think of how you're going to use each thing you carry because weight cost you when you're going into a fight so you only carry what makes sense.

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

trashcanmando

« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2017, 01:49 AM »
The blade alone is ten inches, the full beskad is 14. That was about as big as I could get it before the blade started looking ridiculous in proportion to the hilt. I found some plastic and tried a couple things, but I don't know if I like how it's turning out. I might just ditch it and find a different way to build a beskad entirely. I really like the design, though.

Two days in and I already feel like this is going to be one long line of false starts and ditched ideas, but I'll get there! We all know what Thomas Edison said about lightbulbs, after all.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2017, 09:31 AM »
That he knows like 10,000 things that don't work. I built mine out of oak. Any hard wood would do, but pine is too soft for the design I used. Scale it for the finished product, the blades often look funny without the handle and beskads should be the heavy design you've chosen.

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

Havelock

« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2017, 10:53 AM »
And yeah, a lot of this will be trial and error.  But even the attempts that don't work out will generally teach you something, and help you make your kit even better.   :)

trashcanmando

« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2017, 09:25 PM »
Today I made the final decision to just buy my plates. I'd like to be able to say I built them myself, but I want this to be quality and I just don't have the experience or tools to pull it off.  My ori'vod's little sister decided she had some interest, though, so we're looking to cut down the plates I already have for the ad'ika. Nothing too fancy, but she'll feel included.

My brother is way more experienced with weapons building than me, so I recruited him to help me build the beskad. Here's the design I drew up- sixteen inches overall, the blade alone is just a tad shy of twelve. He usually builds his knives out of PVC. I personally think a wood- like oak- might be easier, but I'm not going to mess with his method.

I also finished the cloak- trimmed off some all around so it's less bulky. I feel less like I might die of heatstroke in it, lol. I also took a candle to it and singed up some of the holes and edges, make it look more like it's been through a firefight involving lasers and flaming shrapnel. Turns out it's made of a very flame retardant material, which I like, because there's no way a mando would pick something that has a tendency to go up in flames to wear on their body.

Closer shot of the burn damage:

Next on the list is building the beskad and finding someone to buy a bucket and plates from!
Maybe I can start the flak vest this week, we'll see.
And the blasters, which I'm kind of avoiding because they're the only thing I've absolutely never messed with before. I did a lot of soft parts projects when I was younger, I've painted and played around with armor on occasion, and there are nine swords currently in my field of vision, but I have absolutely never done anything with a gun. Here come all those trial and errors, time to learn a bunch!

Havelock

« Reply #22 on: Apr 02, 2017, 09:41 PM »
I'm really glad to see you're making progress!

And don't stress too much about your blasters.  You'll knock this out.  I have faith in you, vod'ika.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #23 on: Apr 02, 2017, 10:31 PM »
Nice job on the cloak, is that wool? First pictures it looked like it, but now it looks more flannel. Love the design you came up with for the beskad.

As far as buying a helmet and plates, look around in the merchant area on this site. And whatever you do please ask for recommendations from people (more than one) on the Mercs site before you buy anything. I can give you lots of horror stories about people paying hundreds of dollars for stuff that either never gets to you or is junk/unapprovable.

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2017, 11:42 PM »
As far as buying a helmet and plates, look around in the merchant area on this site. And whatever you do please ask for recommendations from people (more than one) on the Mercs site before you buy anything. I can give you lots of horror stories about people paying hundreds of dollars for stuff that either never gets to you or is junk/unapprovable.

^This, 100 times

I'm far from an expert, but I'd be happy to discuss buckets.  I'm a bit obsessed.  I would definitely steer you away from Etsy.  Stick to the merchant area here.  I'll skip espousing the benefits of building your own bucket (again) or Shammah's eyes will roll back in his head.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!