Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Build 1.5 - Akaleh Skirata

• 230 Replies

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Build 1.5 (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #100 on: Jun 07, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Well, get to work on that sheath, then, Vaar'ika!   :P

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
« Reply #101 on: Jun 07, 2017, 03:58 PM »
Well, I would love to, ba'vod, but LOOK WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY!

Obviously, I'm dropping everything to work on it. I already sanded down all the ear pieces and had a go at the bottom rim.

And that's where I run into problems. Sanding was the obvious first step, and then I'm going to fill in the arrows with bondo, but I have no idea where to go after that. And how far down to the rim do I sand? There's a pretty sizable lip and I assume it all goes, but I've never so much as held a finished helmet.

Other questions: Do I need to use primer before spraypainting? I haven't used primer on anything else (which I'm hoping won't come back to bite me in the butt) but if anyone thinks the extra step is advisable, for the helmet, I will do it.
Do I paint and then assemble or assemble and then paint? I would assume paint, cut out the visor and keyslot, and then assemble, but I really want to be sure. My usual technique of 'dive in and then do damage control' isn't going to apply here.

Also, has anybody ever assembled a Dha Bral? I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. The pieces all bolt on, so I guess you drill the hole in the helmet itself, push the screws in, and screw the... circle bit on. (Do I know anything about hardware? Nope. I don't.) Maybe I'll just wait until my clan gathering in ten days.

Final questions- what type of welding visor replacement did you say people typically use, Havelock? I know it's back in the forum someplace, was it #5? And what's my best bet to glue the keyslot and visor in? And what do folks use for padding?

« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2017, 04:04 PM by Akaleh Skirata » Logged

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #102 on: Jun 07, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Sand it down to the lip on the helmet, you want it to be smooth.

I would recommend primer :)

For painting, it depends on what you want to do for each piece. I have a M5 helmet from Dha and I trimmed out the key slot hole first, but painted all of the pieces (actual key slot, ear caps, range finder,etc) separately since they were going to be a different color than the main color of my helmet. Also, don't forget to trim the visor too! If you're nervous about it weakening, leave a little bar at the bottom to help with stability.

You'll need to drill out a hole for the ear caps to go into but it wasn't hard. Just find the right size :)

For a visor, I use one from t-visor.com but others use a wielded visor from harbor frieght or Home Depot or something, and then get window tint.

Hope that helps!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

trashcanmando

« Reply #103 on: Jun 07, 2017, 06:04 PM »
That helps a ton, thanks!  ;D That should keep me busy for a while. Do you remember what you used to glue in the keyslot and attach the rangefinder?

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #104 on: Jun 07, 2017, 07:38 PM »
I'll never forget the day my first buy'ce came in the mail. First off, if you don't own a Dremel now's the time to get one.

1. The very first thing you'll want to do is wash everything with warm soap and water. Makers commonly use a releasing agent when casting parts to help the parts come out of the mold easier (protects the mold). That will not hold paint any easier than it held the mold. Sanding will remove it to some degree, but will also contaminate your sand paper.

2. Yes, take that rough bottom off (remember the part about a Dremel? ;)). You may want to wait on cutting out the T-visor. Looks like you have some work to do (Bondo, sanding) and that will add strength to the helmet until you're almost done. My helmet was cast in a way that I could leave some of the curled over area on the bottom lip that I use for a locator to hold my visor in place. Not sure about yours. My favorite clean-up tool is a bastard file for rough stuff and a single cut mill file for finish work.

3. Once you're done priming and sanding (outside only) you can cut out the T-visor. Keep the bits you cut out because I've got a little trick for bracing the lower part of the T area. Cut off a 1/2 - 3/4" wide piece that's long enough to go from side to side behind where you'll mount the visor. You may need to cut some spacers to get the depth right. Anything you attach with adhesive should be done with a 2-part epoxy; ear pieces, spacers, whatever. Always think 2-part epoxy when sticking things together (not to include parts with screws like your ear caps(?)). Do yourself a favor and don't try to clean up the wavy bit inside the T visor area for a clean fit of the visor. Gaps will allow air to move around the visor (ventilation for fog-free trooping) and they really aren't very noticeable even when you know they're there.

4. Once your bracing is installed, paint the inside of the helmet with two coats of flat black. I can't stress how important it is to wait until everything's dry before the next coat of paint. Use painters tape to mask the inside of the helmet and shoot at least two coats of silver (I used aluminum) paint on the outside.

5. It's really important to get a real shade 5 visor. Most companies only carry shade 3, there is a difference: you will never see my nose or any other feature no matter how bright the sunlight or photographic flash. ;) There are a lot of people who sell "shade 5" (note the quotes), however, they can only be found (reliably) at your local weld shop for about $20 - $25.

Sorry I got a bit wordy, I'd hate to see this go wrong for you. Two things though: 1. take your time, this is the fun part. 2. Almost anything can be repaired... but warping, never leave your buy'ce anywhere hot (car, sun room... oven :P :laugh:).

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

trashcanmando

« Reply #105 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:00 PM »
Yo, don't be sorry! The more advice I get the happier I am! Definitely wouldn't have thought to wash it without you telling me. And I would definitely be not thinking about it and leaving it in the car. 2-part epoxy and a shade 5 visor are on the shopping list for tomorrow.

I can't quite picture what you're saying about bracing the T-visor. Can you take a picture of the inside of your helmet?

I spent the evening trimming down the rim and otherwise cleaning up the helmet- it's washed (multiple times), sanded, the arrows have been bondo-ed. All ear pieces are also washed and sanded, and then I couldn't resist getting at least one side with primer tonight.

If everything's looking okay, I think I can at least get primer done tomorrow! Was there anything but the arrows I would need to bondo?

So if I understand this right, now that I've washed, sanded, and bondo-ed the whole thing, next I prime it, then I cut out the key slot, visor, and drill bolt holes? And then I can paint everything, and then assemble ears, visor, and padding?

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #106 on: Jun 08, 2017, 09:26 AM »
That helps a ton, thanks!  ;D That should keep me busy for a while. Do you remember what you used to glue in the keyslot and attach the rangefinder?

I used a 2 part epoxy that I had laying around. It was a quick setting one. Sorry don't remember the name of the brand :/

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #107 on: Jun 08, 2017, 12:19 PM »
O.K., now that Photobucket has decided to cooperate I can walk you through this a little. You'll see at the top of the picture where I epoxied a piece of the resin I had cut out across the bottom of the helmet. You can see the visor is held in place by that at the bottom (top in this photo), and located (held in correct orientation) by two little tabs that were part of the casting at the bottom (top) of the T-visor bump out. The piece of resin I used came from the ear piece cut out. the visor is held in place on each side at the top (Bottom in photo) by two small tabs (one is circled in red) made by stacking two more pieces of recycled resin then epoxying them in.

This arrangement does two things: 1. My visor isn't glued in so I can pull it out to work inside helmet, clean the visor or change it out for a different one. 2. Remember where I said "fog free trooping"? Not being glued in on all sides this allows air to circulate freely around the visor on all sides so the slightest breeze keeps it clear. Another, and perhaps main, thing it does is gives excellent strength and support to the helmet as a whole without using the visor as a structural member.

The visor doesn't have to be pushed up too tight to the bump out, this gives space for it to slide it in and out. You'll need to have the visor sized and ready to install before getting the tabs and braces in since they're based on the size and thickness of the visor. Make a pattern out of poster board or something thicker like a cereal box.

This is a good teaching moment too. See how the main support epoxy joints look like a bad weld as opposed to the nicely installed side tabs? I tried to do all of these joints at once and the epoxy started to set up on me. As epoxy dries it loses bonding strength at an exponential rate and doesn't go on smoothly. I had to repair that brace later, but it's held really well since. So don't try to do too much at once when working with epoxy. I'm currently using Gorilla brand epoxy, but there are several good one out there. Look for "use on most plastics" on the label.

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2017, 01:02 PM by Shammah » Logged
MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

trashcanmando

« Reply #108 on: Jun 08, 2017, 04:29 PM »
Oooh, cool, thanks! That looks like a great method, I've been getting nervous about how exactly to put the visor in.
... I think I'm gonna wait until the seventeenth to mess with the visor. I really don't want to mess this up. Speaking of which, I can't find welding visors ANYWHERE. I've found these tiny plastic squares for welding helmets, but a large face shield? Nope. I checked everywhere. Can you get them easily around Des Moines? If it's not inconvenient, could you get one and I'll pay you back, maybe?

At what point do I cut out the visor and keyslot and drill the holes for the ear pieces? Does it really matter if I do that before or after primer?

« Reply #109 on: Jun 08, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Hey I saw you're post and thought I'd help! If you want the visor to be specifically a welding visor then I can't help you. BUT! What I am doing is a gold tinted visor like a one way mirror so I am going to a window tinting store. My dad says that they will either sell scraps OR JUST GIVE THEM OUT!!! They generally sell back tinted stuff so if you want a relatively inexpensive visor... There you go. Just ask Siri for places with window tint. Ok cool keep up the good work I love the armor that you're building 

I'm just a simple kid trying to make my way in the universe.

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #110 on: Jun 08, 2017, 05:19 PM »
I've been so happy about my recent progres on my bucket, so I know how you feel.
I did go with an exchangable visor as well. I believe it's a good way to go.

As for epoxy, I did more on my armor than on buyce, but I keep doing small piece, by small piece. You'll get some experience on how to mix it, how to apply, when not to apply (I suggest read the instruction. I've tried once, while it was too cold for them. I'm still trying to fix that now. :) ).
At this point I even make small pieces of the armor with reinforced epoxy and it seems to work.

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #111 on: Jun 08, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Do all epoxy work before any paint or primer, that way your resin is stuck to resin. Painted surfaces will not give as strong of a bond. So basically cut out and attach everything before paint and primer, but do the T-visor last. If you got primer on the attaching surface of your ear pieces you may want to sand that area off.

I PM'd you some info, if that doesn't work out let me know and I'll pick one up for you. The more you want to wait for on the 17th the more help I can be. Do you have files and a Dremel type tool?

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

trashcanmando

« Reply #112 on: Jun 09, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Clank!  :) My one concern is that window glass sounds a lot harder to work with.

Careful with the epoxy, got it. At this rate I think I'm just going to attach what ears I can and then just leave the rest for when I can get clan help. I did get excited and base coat paint some ear parts, guess I better sand a couple areas of that back down. I don't have any files, and the Dremel I'm using was borrowed from a neighbor. I could probably bring it, it's just that it's not actually mine.

« Reply #113 on: Jun 09, 2017, 11:47 AM »
No No No No No! Window TINT. Not tinted window. I went to some really nice people and they gave me 12''-12'' cut of scraps for free! I am only 14 so I don't have a lot of money on my hands so I'm just doing that. But if you want to be an over achiever then attach some clear plastic.. ya know just watch this. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=68927.0 I hope this helps.

I'm just a simple kid trying to make my way in the universe.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #114 on: Jun 09, 2017, 01:44 PM »
jewellers files $5.00 tops per set on e-bay. find the right vendor and shipping is free. ;)

trashcanmando

« Reply #115 on: Jun 09, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Ohhh, I see! Thanks for the tip! I found a welding visor, but since I'm putting it in Shammah's way, I can put a mirrored tint visor on the upgrades list.  ;D

Woah, five bucks? Sounds pretty good, thanks Jett  :)

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #116 on: Jun 12, 2017, 09:03 PM »
There's nothing I can really add to the great advice you've already gotten, Vaar'ika.  I'm glad to see that you're so excited.  I was thrilled when I got my bucket...but really worried that I'd do something wrong and screw the whole thing up.  Took me a couple of months to actually work on it because of that.  I was being stupid - and I knew I was being stupid.   :laugh:

Matter of fact, when I went to cut the welding visor and install it....it turned out I'd cut the thing too small - by a couple of millimeters.  I, very quietly, flipped out.  Bugged the crap out of Bowfanny to make sure I hadn't screwed myself completely.

The main thing I learned, throughout the whole process of my build, but most particularly working on my bucket, is that the material I was working with was very forgiving.  And that if I made a mistake, I could turn it into "battle damage."  So in the end, it was no big deal.

So just do your work on it, be as detail-oriented as you like, and if you make an oops, don't sweat it.  Turn it into battle scars, or bondo over it.  You've already shown you've got some great skills, and I have no doubts that you'll make your entire kit completely bad-shebs from bucket to boots.  Your kit is already pretty freaking awesome.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Og' Reh

« Reply #117 on: Jun 13, 2017, 06:14 AM »
I must concur with what Havelock said - the thing that stopped me most from progresing was overthinking on how to do things instead of just doing them. I'd probably do second kit in fourth of the time I used for this one.

And in the end, it turnes out, my first ideas were the best ones, and I go back to them to finish my kit.

Also, I tend to have more spare parts than I destroyed in creation proces.

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Like... BOTH of them?

Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

trashcanmando

« Reply #118 on: Jun 14, 2017, 03:54 PM »
Thanks ba'vod, your advice and vote of confidence means a lot to me.  ;D I'll try to take you and Ogre's advice and do a little bit of work on my helmet today so there's not so much to do at the clan meeting.

Speaking of just going for it, today I worked on boots! I have this pair of old combat boots that I absolutely loved, but had laces. I prefer a laceless boot over a laced boot with plates, but I thought that was just going to be an eventual upgrade. Today, the bug hit me to mod my old boots into a laceless version! I was too excited to take any before pictures, but here's the finished product:

These things had two zippers, laces, and that strap on the arch there, so I had to cover the laces and the outside zipper. I cut out the tongue and ended up using a staple gun to attach it over the lace holes and the outer zipper. Not professional, but hey! if it works! I don't think the result of the staples is half bad. Only half the tongue is stapled, the lower half is held in place by the strap.

Side views, inner and outer. You can see on the outer shot on the right a couple of the places I had to cover up brand names and logos. These boots were COVERED in branding, it was ridiculous. I had to rip out a little plastic figurine that was on that circle there, and there were two spots on each boot with the name branded into the leather. With some sandpaper, an exacto knife, and a heat gun, I think I managed to turn them into only slightly suspicious looking weathering. I took out the brand on the tread too, even though that probably wasn't necessary. I have a habit of putting my feet up on every available surface.

I'm pretty excited about these. I don't see any reason they wouldn't follow CRLs now, and I think they look pretty freakin awesome. I'm gonna get new insoles for them, though. And probably cover the ends of the staples with a small smear of hot glue, even though they're hammered down flat.

Havelock

« Reply #119 on: Jun 14, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Those boots look awesome!  Great job, Vaar'ika!  I think those will definitely pass muster.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #120 on: Jun 14, 2017, 07:00 PM »
I'm impressed with your level of modification, no one will ever be able to say, "I have a pair just like those." :laugh:

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #121 on: Jun 14, 2017, 10:32 PM »
Boots look great.  As long as they aren't poking you then I'd say leave the staples be.  To be completely honest, if things look too "professional" they end up not looking Mando IMO.  Slightly irregularities, random (but plausible) wear all make a kit pop.  You're on the right path.

trashcanmando

« Reply #122 on: Jun 15, 2017, 12:53 AM »
Thanks, guys! I did end up hot gluing over the staples cause they snagged on my socks when I took the boots off, and I got some insoles, so they're way comfier and fit better now too. I might do a little more weathering so it isn't obvious that I was trying to cut off brand names.

I got my ears almost completely attached tonight! They're still 100% removable in case I need to take them off for painting or something. Some epoxy is still setting up and I'll be set! Kryamla helped me out a ton with some shots of her finished version. It was nervewracking, but it's done and I'm super happy!

Og' Reh

« Reply #123 on: Jun 15, 2017, 07:20 AM »
I bow in respect for your ideas with those shoes. I'm going similar way - covering the laces in boots I feel comfortable with, and... How to put it... Expendable. :D

Your weathering looks good. What I'm doing in that cases, I imagine what happened and what kind of damage would it cause. If you put cutmarks where brandnames were, it might apear too regular. Bu if you imagine where did that shrapnel exploded, and how the shoes saved your legs, you get where to put more, and where to ease out. Or the marking of the creature that tried to chew your foot away...

Have fun with coming up what tha hell hapened there!
I'll be glad to hear that battle story! ;)

- Like... BOTH of them?

trashcanmando

« Reply #124 on: Jun 15, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Oooh, you gave me a great idea. I wasn't too sure about the pattern of cuts over the brand names, but if I add a few more spots like that in the right area, it could totally look like something tried to chew my foot off. I should probably go back with some sandpaper and scuff up the paint on my plates to look like more natural weathering- Akaleh takes a lot of ops that don't necessarily require combat, so I need to look like I waded through thorny bushes, rolled down a hill, got caught in a sandstorm, stuff like that. I think sandpaper would emulate all of that damage nicely with a rough enough grit.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!