Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tailored the legs of a flightsuit (pic heavy)

• 2 Replies

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Tailored the legs of a flightsuit (pic heavy)
« on: Apr 05, 2017, 01:56 AM »
Being in the Mercs has taught me a lot of skills, and the newest addition to my toolbelt is sewing.  I was recently given a great beginner sewing machine, and I wasted no time learning how to use it.  As I am slowly replacing parts in my kit to go from v1 to v2, I needed to bring in the legs of my flightsuit (Dickies coveralls).  But why waste money when this is one of the easiest alterations to make?

I followed the tutorial over at The Daily Sew and I am very pleased with the results. 

Before:

Notice how baggy it is around the legs?  That wouldn't fly, especially if I was going for the classic Jango look:

So, let's get started.

Preliminary pinning of the excess fabric

Sitting down to make sure I left myself enough room

Straightened out the pins and drew the stitching line

Stitched

This baby isn't going to win any straight line awards, but that just shows that you don't have to be an expert or a professional to do something like this.

Folded the suit in half and traced the stitching line to the other leg.

I then realized that I would have to rip open some seams and remove the cargo pockets.  I knew the butt pockets would have to go eventually, but I didn't think I'd have to do it tonight.

After stitching the second leg and testing the fit, I trimmed the excess fabric.

Seams pressed open then to one side.

I don't have an overlocker, but a simple zigzag stitch will help prevent the fabric from raveling.

Finished product:

This was a super easy beginner project, and now I'm ready to star test fitting my leg plates.  But that'll have to wait.  I hope this helps anyone who is too intimidated to try sewing or who thinks only professionals can do this stuff.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Tailored the legs of a flightsuit (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2017, 08:29 PM »
Nicely done!  And it's a very helpful tutorial.  Thanks, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Tailored the legs of a flightsuit (pic heavy)
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2017, 11:22 PM »
Happy to help.  Hopefully this will help anyone with access to a sewing machine avoid having to pay $20 or $30 for alterations.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!