Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

A complete newbie needs help with electronics

• 6 Replies

Garretjax

• OM# 1999
A complete newbie needs help with electronics
« on: Apr 07, 2017, 08:53 PM »
Hey I'm looking into putting in some leds in my helmet and gauntlets. If anyone could point me in the direction of some good tutorials for someone whose never done ANY electrical work before that would be super helpful. Also a good place to buy the supplies would be awesome as well. I've seen some tutorials online but try seem to be more for people already semi familiar with electronics. Any help is appreciated

Legion

• Good, bad...I'm the guy with guns on my wrists.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: A complete newbie needs help with electronics
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2017, 10:17 PM »
For parts, I'd recommend RadioShack. Pretty much everything you need from solder, to bulbs, wire, resistors, etc.

First thing you need to know about LEDs is they have fairly low electrical tolerances; apply too much power and they will burn out fast. Resistors are going to be your most important component. This is a great resource for making sure you have the right size resistor for your LEDs. Plug in the numbers and it tells you the size you need; if ever in doubt about a resistor, go up a size to be safe.

When it comes to raw LEDs, the long lead is typically power and the short is ground.

The way power flows, you want the "hot" side of your power source (typically a red wire leading from the battery hookup) going to the long lead and a wire going back to ground on the battery (usually a black wire).

You can add a switch to either end of the circuit, power side or ground side; the light will only function if there is a direct path for power to ground, and the switch will break that link regardless of where you place it.

| MMCC #0058 | Trendsetter: The original coated Mando.

Garretjax

• OM# 1999
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2017, 12:52 AM »
Thanks this is really helpful, when installing these in your gauntlets or helmet do they produce alot of heat or is that something i dont need to be to worried about

Legion

• Good, bad...I'm the guy with guns on my wrists.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2017, 01:11 AM »
Practically none whatsoever, as long as they aren't given too much power. Keep them within their tolerances and there should be no appreciable effects other than the light.

| MMCC #0058 | Trendsetter: The original coated Mando.

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2017, 09:41 PM »
Each type of LED requires its own voltage. The one on pic above is typically powered by 1.5V.

If you want to use multiple LEDs you can (bit you shouldn't) wire them in series: one after another, short lead to next LED's long lead. But if one of the LEDs die, all will shut down. As they're in series you'll need number of LEDS x 1.5 volts to power them each one adds up it's voltage. In the end you migjt need some serious batteries and that's useless.

What you should do is wire positive lead from battery to all anodes? (long leads) together, and all catodes? (short lead) together back to negative side of battery.

This way all LEDs will require the same voltage (1.5V for example) but bigger amounts of current, and you might need to add batteries in parallel (keeps the voltage but increases the current output).

Lion's electronics corner

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIP's: Post-Imperial costume. Nite Owl helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2017, 10:39 PM »
I used LED modules (some already have the resistor built in) that are rated for 24VDC.  They're more expensive, but so much easier to work with, and are preset for color, so you dont have to worry about calculating the  proper voltage or overheating the battery. 

As far as suppliers, i deal with industrial supply companies, but I've also gotten stuff from Amazon.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2017, 12:34 AM »
if you go take a look on flea bay you can get kits, 3 coloured leds with battery all you have to do is fit them to your kit.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!