Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My Ruus bal'Neta Gauntlets

• 5 Replies

Ruus bal'Neta

• "Family is more than blood. This is the way."
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
My Ruus bal'Neta Gauntlets
« on: Mar 21, 2017, 05:33 PM »
These are the gauntlets I made for my current OM kit, Ruus bal'Neta.

I started with a template that I transferred onto my 6mm sintra. Then I marked the halves and cut them out. This is where I made a miscalculation. I cut the pieces in half before I shaped them. I highly recommend shaping them first, then cutting them in half. Cutting them first made getting the halves to line up when shaping way more difficult than it should have been.

Next I measured and cut my "piano" hinge and marked the placement on the halves.

I put the hinge on the inside of my gauntlets. Some people put them on the outside. Personally I wanted them to be hidden so I mounted them on the inside. So for this I cut out a notch in one half to make room for the hinge. Because my hinges don't go all the way across (being hidden) I had to notch a bit from the ends to allow for the halves to open wide enough to get my arm in and get to the lights and padding.

Here you can see how the hinge looks from the outside of the (pre-shaped, GRRRR) gauntlets.

Then it was time to shape (which if you learn from my mistakes you would have done earlier in the process).

I drilled small pilot holes and then screwed in the hinge with the screws that came with it.

Again, you can see the hinge is less visible being mounted on the inside.

And a test fit to be sure everything still lines up.

And the bases are complete.

I wanted something different from the rocket/flamethrower/darts that most gauntlets have for weapons. So I took a couple Rubies Westars, cut them down and got them ready to mount to my toppers (from The Mandalorian Arsenal). Here I've placed the toppers and marked the base where I will mount them and also make cutouts to add lights in later on. I also wanted to see how the cut down blaster barrels would look.

I didn't get any pictures of the holes cut out, but they were cut smaller than the outline of the toppers so I'd have something to mount them to. Here I have the toppers glued (E6000 FTW), bondoed and sanded the seams.

I made a couple of trim pieces from 3mm sintra that I use to 1) hide the hinge and 2) act as a closure. Both are secured with magnets though the closure is glued to one half of the gauntlet and has magnets on the other. I didn't take any pictures of that but I can get some of the finished gauntlet if anyone wants to see it.

Here are the gauntlets ready for paint. I took the butt end of the Westar grips and fashioned them into mounts for the blaster barrels.

Primer applied. You can also see the holes I cut out of the bases for interior access to the toppers for lights and such.

A silver coat was done after the primer then a few swipes with my "camo" color. I taped off the silver areas of the blaster barrels and where I wanted the camo to be then applied the main color.

And the finished gauntlets along with the rest of my armor (upper right of the picture).

I'm working on some small upgrades (mostly fit and structural) so once those are done I'll get some proper pics in here.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
Re: My Ruus bal'Neta Gauntlets
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2017, 02:00 PM »
What did you use to shape your gauntlets around? Did you just press them against your forearms?

Naritir Ka'ra

• If at first you don't succeed... reload.
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Dude... those are CLEAN!! And I love the rig you've set up for painting... I may have to talk to you about that this weekend at WC.

MMCC #1755 | Invasions: 10
BOMB #57 | PMS #8 | MLCS #2 | WB #13 | VABS | MA #175 | MACK #41 | MTS #108 | MARS #66 | GOMOL #28 | MirShebs #16 | Wrang #3

I'll sign autographs, after the smoke clears.
Mk01 OM 4/5/17
F: naritir T: @naritir_kara IG: naritir
Story

Ruus bal'Neta

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2017, 02:31 PM »
What did you use to shape your gauntlets around? Did you just press them against your forearms?

I did all the shaping freehand. It was a lot of heating and rolling on the floor of the garage (smooth concrete, the rough stuff will leave marks) and manhandling it until I got the shape I wanted and everything lined up. I really need to make a jig or form or something because shaping 6mm sintra freehand is a pain.

Dude... those are CLEAN!! And I love the rig you've set up for painting... I may have to talk to you about that this weekend at WC.

Honestly its nothing special. Just the cardboard inserts that came with Mirdala's elliptical. Lots of supports and inserts that I used to keep everything up off the ground. I guess that comes from working in paint shops where everything was hung or mounted on a frame for painting.

Nano Rey'son

• Rebel Dad
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2017, 05:06 PM »
love how your clean your gauntlets came. It's the one thing I'm dreading lol. So based on your pics and your comment, instead of cutting halves separately, make a larger sheet, form it completely around the forearm and wrist and then cut in half?

It is better to be a Warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war
M.V.S 080 l L.O.B 61 l V.O.T.S 90

Ruus bal'Neta

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2017, 05:26 PM »
love how your clean your gauntlets came. It's the one thing I'm dreading lol. So based on your pics and your comment, instead of cutting halves separately, make a larger sheet, form it completely around the forearm and wrist and then cut in half?

Yes. I recommend forming the complete gauntlet first, then cutting it in half to install the hinge and closure.  In my experience this will be easier than trying to shape the two separate halves to match. You might have to get it close to where you want it and then tweak the shape once you get the halves cut and hinge installed.

It does seem daunting when you first approach it but once you get going the process will get easier and more intuitive. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!