Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

*Tap tap tap* "Is this thing on?" (Armor WIP, Take 3)

• 4 Replies

Verco Nuhla

• Proud Proprietor of the Rusty Kyr'bes
Man, I really have to get better at sticking to a WIP thread. But, ya know. Life.

Since my concept has evolved somewhat, I'll be posting new concept pics as well, but first I'll simply do a top-down inventory of everything that I have/intend to do. For a quick reference, though, here's the pic of the mostly-complete concept.

HELMET

Way back when, I got this old crash helmet that I stripped down. Because of similar thicknesses and the swivel posts, I'll be using this for the dome, and adding the vertical "cylinder" made out of Sintra and held together with epoxy and/or bondo.

The final helmet will have the visor and double fin of the Mandalorian police captain's helmet from The Clone Wars (begin general theme here). Pictures and cardboard mock-up below.

Reference of MPC helmet:

FLIGHTSUIT, VEST, AND TORSO PLATES

I acquired a black flightsuit, and a good friend of mine was kind enough to sew me the vest to my specs. I sewed on these buckles, but I will likely carefully remove them and add a zipper on both sides- I'm not thrilled with how the buckles sit.

The plates will be standard in front, custom segmented but full coverage in back, and likely some added side plates, both for additional coverage and to cover zippers. On top of the standard plates in the front and back, I will be adding trauma plates over top for more thickness, and they will have the same color lines and profile of the Mandalorian police tunic armor.

SHOULDERS AND ARMS

Before, my design had an additional heavy shoulder bell, but I will be forgoing that for now, Standard shoulder bells, but detachable from the vest, in case I ever wanted to go sleeveless for a hot/unofficial troop.

As for gauntlets, I have no idea for the design so far, I'll admit. I will have one plain shell gauntlet for my left arm for sure, however, for reasons that will be explained later. Gloves will be plain black, and there will be hand plates, of as yet undetermined design.

GIRTH BELT AND KAMA

The kama was originally going to be slightly longer than usual, but keeping with the theme, I will keep it a standard length, made of black pleather backed with the same burgundy as the vest.

For the girth belt, I will be using a dark blue fabric, pictured below. I will likely add loops and a sort of under-belt to keep it in place, or perhaps industrial velcro, but that also remains to be seen.

Belts and bandoliers will also be black leather/pleather with burgundy-lined pouched, same as the kama.

Pic of the torso with girth belt held roughly in place:

JET/BACK PACK

Since this will be a heavier build than I originally set out for, coverage-wise, to keep the theme the back pack will either be a booster pack, for dashes and jump assists but not necessarily prolonged flight, a simple power pack or backpack, or nonexistent. At this stage, it's not a huge concern of mine.

LEG ARMOR AND BOOTS

Boots and leg armor design has not changed from previously, and following are some pictures of both the design and progress thus far. (Apologies for the blurriness on this one.)

WEAPONS

Weaponry will consist of a beskad, likely to stay holstered, a WESTAR-35 carbine with full stock, also likely to stay holstered, and a WESTAR-35 pistol, which will likely be the main used/picture weapon. All will be slightly modified, especially in the grips, to better fit comfortably in my hand.

SHIELD

Here she is. The beast. The Mountain. Affectionately nicknamed "Cerar."

In a break from traditional Mandalorian police shields, there will be an additional reinforced rim to cover the plywood edge, and a blaster-proof transparisteel viewport. Not a standard Mando shield, but there are in-universe examples of shields with viewports, so I'm not hugely worried about breaking any rules on that one.

Right. So, to address a couple of final concerns, yes, I am quite aware that Cerar will be quite heavy, especially if I have to carry it around a con or event all day. But hey, we all suffer for our art. Thankfully, ballistic shield handle replacement kits are surprisingly cheap, and with the proper balance and rigging it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Plus, if things get too heavy, I'll have the backup carbine to play around with as well.

I think the spacing is fixed and proper on the plates, but hopefully I haven't made any grievous errors. (Heh heh. Grievous.) If the lack of backing on the shoulder bells is an issue, I can also add an under padding to them, to give them a little more beefiness and perceived protection.

I will also say that not all of this will be done before my kit is official. My plan is to get things set up and official-like with the necessaries for OM, with enough progress and tinkering done that the other additions can be added smoothly and relatively painlessly even after I hit OM status.

Any comments, questions, or advice, as always, feel free. Oya!

"Hastaale bat norac n'ijaat be kad'verde."
"Scars on the back are a swordsman's shame."

Character Story, Vol. 1- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110135.0
Character Story, Vol. 2 (ACTIVE)- https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=150675.0
Writers Bloc #014

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: *Tap tap tap* "Is this thing on?" (Armor WIP, Take 3)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2017, 10:20 PM »
While you're already prepared to carry that heavy shield around, I'd definitely suggest re cutting it out in 6 mil sintra. So much lighter and still sturdy.

That said, your helmet looks real clean and your plates are sized correctly  :D Looking forward to following this build

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Verco Nuhla

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Thanks  ;D Glad the size and spacing of the plates are holding up. And as for the shield, we shall see. All I have right now is 3 mil, so I'd have to order more. Plus, I like the authenticity of an absolute beast of a shield, if that makes any sense, and I'll take nigh-indestructible over sturdy. And my left arm is already stronger even though I'm right-handed, because of kendo, so I can keep that rolling.

As a side note for the build in general, part of the inspiration behind this build is from Montagne from Rainbow 6: Siege. He uses a massive Le Roc extendable shield that most people couldn't even carry, and uses it to shield his comrades from harm. That mentality strikes a chord with my Mandalorian, and I want some of that mentality to extend to the armor and shield as well.

That being said, I appreciate the advice for 6 mil Sintra  ;) Maybe at some point I'll make an articulating or collapsible/extendable shield, and that I could definitely use 6 mil for.

Character Story, Vol. 1- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110135.0
Character Story, Vol. 2 (ACTIVE)- https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=150675.0
Writers Bloc #014

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2017, 11:37 PM »
You'll just get really buff while trooping  :P Haha

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Verco Nuhla

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2017, 12:47 AM »
You'll just get really buff while trooping  :P Haha

On only one arm? People might begin to question  :P

UPDATE 4/24/17

Just a small update, and no pictures yet, but cut out all the front and back torso pieces from Sintra today. A couple boo-boos, but I just notched the edges where I slipped and I'm gonna play it as battle damage.

Also, found out that you can never have too much industrial-strength velcro on hand. Gonna have to make another supply run...

Last bit of news, Chicago screws are en route, and I'm currently experimenting with two adhesives for the Sintra work on the helmet. One is classic Liquid Nails, the other is a squeeze PVC cement type of deal. Tested both with scrap pieces, with an edge-on-edge seam and an edge-on-face seam for both, and in a couple days we'll see which works out the nicest, for strength, pliability, sandability, and paintabilty, as well as if there's any etching or excessive eating away at the Sintra from either compound.

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2017, 09:33 PM by Verco Nuhla » Logged

Writers Bloc #014

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!