Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hey! Newbie from Greater Vancouver

• 17 Replies
Hey! Newbie from Greater Vancouver
« on: Apr 22, 2017, 01:59 AM »
Hello! My nameís Lev, and Iím from the Greater Vancouver area. Iím starting my kit soon, (even though itís about a year and a half til I can join) and am currently in the middle of the conceptualization/design stage. I am pretty new to this kind of costume making, and Iíd appreciate any advice you have.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Hey! Newbie from Greater Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Hey Lev, it's good to have you.  I live in Burnaby, and run fairly regular armor parties t my place where we work on ideas and build together.  I'm out of the country on vacation  at the moment, but I'll be sure to let you know when I'm back and we can get together. 

Do you have any ideas sketched out, or a color scheme in mind, or anything?

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2017, 09:55 AM »
It's great to be here! I'm still working on drawing some clean sketches, what I have right now is really messy, but it is something along the lines of Jango's armor. I do have a basic colour scheme, which is medium gray, white, black, and blue, with one dark red shoulder bell as a tribute to a family member. 

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2017, 04:20 PM »
What could work for a color test is to Google "Jango fett coloring page" and use that as your base if you are going with Jango shaped plates.

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2017, 06:19 PM »
Welcome to the club, Lev! I'll be keeping an eye open for your progress :D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Thanks Serim! I just finished the first concept draft.

here it is. It is missing a few things, such as a viewfinder, and holsters, but it has the colour scheme and the basic idea of the armour.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2017, 09:55 PM »
Looks like your pic is busted. Here's a post detailing how to post pictures, that should help sort you out ;D
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95502.0

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2017, 10:36 PM »
ok, thanks. I think I got it now.

also created one with an alternate colour scheme, which I think I like more.

« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2017, 12:03 AM by levvan » Logged

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2017, 12:39 AM »
Honestly, I like 'em both! :D

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2017, 10:42 AM »
They both look good.  I think I like the stripe one as well, but keep in mind it will be nearly impossible to get the line to actually BE straight across plates when you are wearing/walking.   You should totally do it, we'll just make sure we get you all kitted up and one of us can tape off those lines to paint, that way they are going to line up as best as possible.

Good color schemes.    Do you know what material you want to make your plates out of?   Most of us use Sintra, which is a plastic that is easy to work with, but DracoMac and Bassplaya (both here in Vancouver) make metal plates, and I can show you how to make fiberglass plates if that is what you want.

I'd suggest you start hitting up the milsurp shops in New West when you get a few bucks and keep an eye out for a used black military flightsuit that fits you, once you decide that black is what you want there.  They aren't too hard to find in their used sections and are reasonably priced, plus they come pre-weathered so you don't have to worry about beat up armor looking strange with shiny new fabric.  I highly recommend Wesley's (Surplus?  Military Supply?   i forget the full name) on Front Street in New West for that kind of thing.  Gorilla Surplus on Broadway might have them too but they are less reliably stocked and i find they mark things up more but are willing to haggle on prices if you are... which i don't like doing :P  I got my boots from them though, and talked them down from $100 to $60 so sometimes it works out.

Sounds like there will be an armor party in Olympic Village on the 30th.  If you can make it and meet some of the folks, let me know an we'll get you the details.

Late Crusader WIP

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Welcome to the clan! I'm on the island but I try to come over fairly often- looking forward to seeing you around 🙂

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2017, 02:29 PM »
I've been discussing armor materials with my dad (who has a lot more experience making things like this than I do) and he suggested plastic injection molding. Personally, I was thinking Sintra, because I can mold it to my body, although apparently injection molding is stronger. I'll probably go with one, or both, of those options.

I've been looking around for black coveralls, but it is hard to find a size that fits me (I'm 5'5 and my waist measures 31 inches) since most are made for men, and it's quite difficult to find women's coveralls. I may end up ordering something online and tailoring it.

I am free on  the 30th and would love to come.

« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2017, 02:45 PM by levvan » Logged
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Welcome Lev!
I really dig your first colour scheme, especially the red shoulder (still trying to come up with a red detail for my dad).
I will probably check the milsurps with another recruit soon, since she also needs a flightsuit and usually has problems to find a good one for women. Hit me up if you wanna tag along. We can also discuss this on Sunday if you want.
For the stripe, like Zophar said, it's a pain in the butt to get it straight but it's possible as I have two vertical stripes on my first kit. If you want I can send you pictures (should be in my bio, though).

Go and die lonely.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2017, 04:23 PM »
The red shoulder is for my dad as well! He's helping me build my kit, so I decided it should have something to represent him on it.

« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2017, 04:50 PM »
The red shoulder is for my dad as well! He's helping me build my kit, so I decided it should have something to represent him on it.
I figured that out from you talking about him :D

Go and die lonely.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!