Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

HELMET SIZING AND BUYING TUTORIAL. Please read before asking all the answered Qs

• 354 Replies

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
put the bucket on and take a pic. youll either need the dp95 or a 1:1 scale helmet for sure. as long as your chin doesnt hang out the bottom the dp95 will PROBABLY work.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Hey all, Saz requested that I do a size comparison of his bucket vrs the Gypsyboy. The internal measurements differ slightly but, side x side they are negligably different. The Gypsyboy is on the left and the Saz is on the right:

Jorg Mereel

• There are far worse things awaiting man than death
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
put the bucket on and take a pic. youll either need the dp95 or a 1:1 scale helmet for sure. as long as your chin doesnt hang out the bottom the dp95 will PROBABLY work.

OK, here I am in my DP 96. The chin definitely doesn't hang out and my nose isn't pressed flat against the visor; I do feel the inner walls on my cheekbones, though.

What do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
That is probably the smallest helmet your going to be able to get by with at your height.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
I have an issue here that i'm considering trying to fix, but am curious on..

My wife has a Mystery helmet that I picked up from Kav'an, Sorter's old bucket... I believe that would place as a 1:1, but it does not fit.. The only reason I can think of for this is that there is a metal craft ring type bit fiberglassed (liberal amounts of it) into the helmet the goes across the visor, and terminates just before the key slots. This could shave off close to an inch or so.

Issue being, my friend has a rubies two-piece. Over at his house, inspecting his gear, and such, I just wanted to try it on for shiites and giggles. Once we remove the thick block of inner padding on the top of the dome, even with the massive foam/eggcrate padding on the front mandible area, it fit, perfectly. Not too snug, not too loose, and my chin didn't really show either...

This has perplexed me now since it happened last night.. I will have pictures up soon of me in this helmet (waiting on them to arrive via email) but it boggles my mind the Mystery wouldn't fit over my head, but after my haircut, the 2-piece fit as well as any other helm i've put on, if not better!

MY current ideas are trying to remove and sand smooth the fiberglassed in ring (it's resin cast, so I have no clue why the ring is there in the first place) to see if that works and would let me know that brand of helmet fits, get up to livonia and try on a DP 95 or 96 and a gypsyboy that tk2280 has, and see wtf is up with my head... Mathematically by measurments, none of these should fit!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Hondo Karr

OK, here I am in my DP 96. The chin definitely doesn't hang out and my nose isn't pressed flat against the visor; I do feel the inner walls on my cheekbones, though.

What do you think?

Yeah, I agree with with Novall. It looks alright standing there in a body suit but, I have a feeling once you slap armor plates on, it's going to be too narrow and you'll end up looking like a tic tac head.

The bad news is youll probably need to get a larger helmet, a 1:1 such as a Sgt. Fang, DeltaSquadBoss, Saz, Gypsyboy etc.. The Good news is the Don Post is a helmet in high demand and should easily be able to be sold to recoup most of the cost of a Fang, which I have seen lately here and on TDH as cheap as $90.00.

Actually you and Ijaaat may be able to work something out... I'd really like to see the pix asap Ijaat. Here's my thought knowing the size of a 2piece Rubies and a 1:1 and having seen pix of you in RenFaire garb, BTW I can get my head into a Rubies a1 piece Jango! What I'm thinking is that a 1:1 is going to be much to large for your frame and you'll end up with the bobble head look which could be counteracted with a large pauldron or big old beefy pads. While youre head fit into a 2piece Jango, you'll likely look like a tic tac Mando when armored up. My guess is you may need a Don Post 95 which is right between the two.

It may be of interest to the both of you to PM each other and consider a trade. You would both benefit from it and it would put you each one step closer to being done without thaving to shell out coin on a new bucket. Take the $15.00 hit to ship the buckets to each other along with a Christmas card and start to work!

Would be nice, but the two-piece is triker's, not mine... I'm pretty sure he'd take that fine civil war saber of his I am researching and gut me if I sold it!

However, let me try on Rob's DP (tk2280) and see if it fits... If it does, I wouldn't be adverse to snapping up a rubies and trading him...

OR...

The 1:1 is my wife's, which might work... But.... I'd have to really, really do some sucking up...

So you're proposing that my 1:1 even if it did fit would be too big on my frame, and that a DP95, if it fits, would be good, and that Jorg and I trading would work, yes? If so, i'll be ready by roughly Mid December, but I can't get out to where Rob is before then, due to me not getting a paycheck until about then!

Jorg, PM me if ya want!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Hondo Karr

YEah, I wasnt suggesting trading the 2 piece lol!

I was suggesting exactly as you summarized... the 1:1 will fit your head once it's trimmed out but you'll look like Ijaat by Funko even in armor. The Don Post is the helmet most commonly appropriate for people your size. My brothers roughly your size and it's literally perfect on him.

Jorg's DP looks like in armor it's going to be too small and a 1:1 would be better suited for him.

Since you haz 1:1 and he haz a DP95, a trade would benefit you both. I know that you had given that Fang to the wife but, let's consider it like this and I hope she doesn't get mad at me  :-[... Being pregnant and then recovery time after the baby is born, it could 6mos to a year before having a set of armor for her is really appropriate. Next, unless she could play linebacker for the Packer's, a 1:1 is going to be much too large for her. You'll have to butcher that thing so much to make it size correctly it won't even resemble what it started out as and that's a crying shame! The biggest gal's Ive seen in armor have not needed anything larger than a DP 95, most need a 1 or 2 piece Rubies Jango.

Try on Kal'buirs buy'ce and if it looks and feels right hook up with Jorg if he's interested.

Since we're on the topic, this is the wife in her current buc'ye.

We haven't re-painted or done much but remove the RF er cap so we could better affix it and secure the RF, but that's the idea.

Just gotta get my shebs to Livonia, thanks for the help A'den

Hondo Karr

Wow, that looks like it fits her pretty well. I wonder if Sorter made some mods to the helmet to make it fit him better? Alot of internal fiberglassing, some trimming and padding? I would have figured that 1:1 would have looked like a bell on her head....

hmmmm....

Yeah... My wife is big.. Not fat, though the baby has helped that.. Her shoulders are broader than mine almost.  So the helmet made sense fit wise.. And measuring it with a standard Stanley measuring tape, it seems to be standard dimensions!

Jorg Mereel

• There are far worse things awaiting man than death
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
So you're proposing that my 1:1 even if it did fit would be too big on my frame, and that a DP95, if it fits, would be good, and that Jorg and I trading would work, yes? If so, i'll be ready by roughly Mid December, but I can't get out to where Rob is before then, due to me not getting a paycheck until about then!

Jorg, PM me if ya want!

Wow, a Salomonic decision. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me, up front. And a trade between a Ghost Hunter and a Vampire Hunter kinda makes sense, actually.  ;D

No rush, Ijaat; take your time. In the meantime, let me check what the cost of international shipping is (I'm based in Mexico City) and whether I can find anything locally. If not, I'll be more than happy to do business!

PM coming up!

tk2280

• 1st Official Kal Skirata of the Mercs & 501st
Ijaat, could that 1:1 you say you have be a cast off a DP or a Rubies??   I used to have a fang and it was about the same size as a DP Delux Boba.

here are some shots of a Don Post delux Fiber Glass  and a Sgt. Fang

The last one has the size in inches.  So unless that bucket your wife has on is a cast of a cast of a cast.  not sure why the inside would not fit you. But the smaller Rubies 2 part does. 

Rubies Jango 2 part next to a DP Deluxe

But if the one you have is a cast of a cast, then there is a chance that it is a Don post 96 or 95 vinyl. Unless you know for a fact it is a sgt. Fang  But as you can see from my pics, no way would a Sgt. Fang not fit but a much smaller Rubies two part does.. ???

--- STILL THE LOWEST PRICED SINTRA ARMOR ON THE MERCS ---
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19763.0

Hopefully, we can get our M-DSB "MERCENARY" Helmet in here somewhere.  ;)

« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2010, 07:30 AM by Taglar Dreskk » Logged
Visit our  M-DSB Props website:

http://www.wix.com/MDSBprops/M-DSB-PROPS
--------
Member of...
Oya Vode!
Clonetroopers.net
Dented Helmet
Facebook
Once Lynli and/or my helmet comes, it'll be in there... Trust me vod. :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!