Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

HELMET SIZING AND BUYING TUTORIAL. Please read before asking all the answered Qs

• 354 Replies

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Wow...those things are nice and thick!

Kantis Nolef

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Does anyone have a BradleyFett bucket? Is it 1:1?

I think I might be related to Scorch, or maybe Fi.
How do you say "-censored-" in Mando'a?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Does anyone have a BradleyFett bucket? Is it 1:1?

I did have one for a time.It is 1:1. It needs alot of reenforcing though.

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
I'm cross posting this to my Commando helmet thread as well. Here are two pics I took of the Commando in comparison to my 2-piece. As I stated in my first post (of the Commando thread), these helmets are small! I don't want you guys to go out and buy one thinking it'll fit only to find out it's too small for your frame.

Front:

Back:

Face to Face:

Back to Back:

Opening:

I'm not really sure what measurements you guys may be looking for, but the ones I got (that I consider important *chuckle*) are these:

Opening - roughly 26" (compare this to the 2 piece, which I measured at about 29". .like I said, the commando scrapes my ears as I pull it on)
Interior rim - actually came out pretty close to the opening size of 26". Was maybe off by about half an inch or so, depending on where you pick the rim to be (I measured along the raised parts of the inside of the helmet since, if your head can't get past those, then you're in trouble)
Height (not the elongated visor area in the front) - roughly 8 1/2" (could be an inch or two more depending on where you pick the top to measure from. . I tried to eye where you would logically stop seeing if you were looking at a profile of the bucket at your own height)
Exterior circumference - About 29". This includes the ear portions, and, really, isn't as important a the interior for whether or not your head can fit it. *chuckle* Just figured somebody might want to know.

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2010, 04:21 PM by Kora Solusar » Logged
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè
Side to side (front facing one side, the backs facing the other) and of the interior (so we can see the opening in the bottom size wise) and measurements in general would be awesome!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Side to side (front facing one side, the backs facing the other) and of the interior (so we can see the opening in the bottom size wise) and measurements in general would be awesome!

Done. :)

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè
Hmm... So roughly the same size as a two piece, with a few variances.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Arketh

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Well, I don't have any other buckets to compare it to, but I noticed that the assassin wasn't represented yet.

Inside measurements.
29" At the opening.
28.5" around at the brow
9" Crown(top) to back of neck (straight down, measured from centre of dome)
11" Crown to bottom of T Slot
9" Ear to Ear
10" Keyslot to T-Visor

And some quick size compared to some common household objects.

55m roll of duct tape and a 341ml bottle of beer for comparison purposes only :P

"You know, that's not a good idea. Let me get my camera."

Beviin Atin Eparavu

• Barrel Eparavu. Disgruntled clone and general jerk
Yep ima need an XL.
._____.
Wow it looks kinda... thin? is it as brittle as it looks? Im afraid im gonna break the thing.

Disregard that it was the angle XD

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2010, 07:44 PM by Beviin » Logged

Daddy will always love his little girl. I miss you, Jenny.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
i have a pic of me wearing the assassin in armor. i'll put it up side x side with me in my krayt dragon helmet so you can get a visual reference on a body. i would think this helmet is better suited for people with narrower frames.

Arketh

It's defiantly not thin.  Only real  thin parts is the major indentations like the vents and slots near/around the ears, keyslots etc.   Weighs about 2.5lbs. Don't have a set of calipers handy, but I'd say that even the T-Visor area is about 5mm think.

It just transmits light easily.

Not sure if it'd be appropriate for narrower frames. It's a big helmet, lots of room front to back and side to side, with  a reasonable amount up and down. I can just jam my head in a 2pc and can almost fight to make it fit (it hurts my nose)

Hondo Karr

here's me in the assassin on the left and a fett 1:1 on the right:

the assassin literally fits my brother perfectly. he's about 6" shorter, right at 6'0" tall, and a good 6 or more inches narrower than me at the shoulders.

i have a pic of me wearing the assassin in armor. i'll put it up side x side with me in my krayt dragon helmet so you can get a visual reference on a body. i would think this helmet is better suited for people with narrower frames.

Se.. I have compared it to a Mystery, and a Rubies 2 piece, and this one is bigger than the mystery in pretty much every dimension, so i'm not quite sure where you get it's less side to side width?

Personally, unless you go with the larger, bulkier shoulder bells like you, I think it works for just about any sized frame, but that's me... Also, A'den... You're kinda huge vod, like... Big walking tank oh dear god he's going to crush me huge...
So.... What is really noticable on your frame may not be as bad on someone more average.

Plus, the one pic there is off angled, I think both straight on, they'd be close... Almost too close to tell apart...The diffence is maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" smaller, if that.... So unless the helmet reqs are getting really picky (you would know better than I there) I think it should be fine, barring bulky armor and a large frame..

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2010, 11:01 PM by Ijaat » Logged

Hondo Karr

Personally, unless you go with the larger, bulkier shoulder bells like you, I think it works for just about any sized frame, but that's me... Also, A'den... You're kinda huge vod, like... Big walking tank oh dear god he's going to crush me huge...
So.... What is really noticable on your frame may not be as bad on someone more average.

Plus, the one pic there is off angled, I think both straight on, they'd be close... Almost too close to tell apart...The diffence is maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" smaller, if that.... So unless the helmet reqs are getting really picky (you would know better than I there) I think it should be fine, barring bulky armor and a large frame..

i think it's the design of the helmet tbh. although angled you can still see it at least appears narrower on the body. of course, we dont have many members that are my size either. i hope people dont get the impression im dissing the helmet though. i'm honestly crushed i can't use one. when i saw it in person i was completly impressed and ready to order. only after i saw the pic did i realize it's too narrow for me and it's design hinders the ability to widen the helmet without ruining it's asthetics.

as for helmet pickiness... that is my personal pet peeve beyond all others and is controlled by crl's which is why this thread wss created. essentially, if you're not a verd'ika and you look like a mando by funko you'll be denied. if you look like your head is a tic tac, you'll be denied, if your chin hangs out the bottom of your helmet, even with a balaclava, you'll be denied. jango and boba should be the visual references for helmet size. helmet should be proprtionate to the body or slightly enlarged however, it should not be clearly oversized.

Yeah, the assassin would go kill for you... You're just a beast man... Almost a full foot taller than me >.<

Arketh

Okay, narrower than your frame A'den, I'll agree with. You fit into the "Mando of Unusual Size" however.

With your size and build, the only way for it to maybe look right would be a very careful design of the armor to complement the helmet's size and downplay your own. I hear strips are thinning...  ;D.

But your right, it at least looks narrower, no matter what the numbers say.

I think the angle of the back of the cheeks, combined with the thinner ears and less angle to the flair give it a sleeker look that may cause some people problems if they're too wide at the shoulders.

Beviin Atin Eparavu

• Barrel Eparavu. Disgruntled clone and general jerk
I'm oddly proportioned as is. I spose the trick will just be to build the armor bigger or smaller in some places, like football armor. I dont have an overly stout frame but my head is HUEG. I look like a bobblehead by nature .__.

Daddy will always love his little girl. I miss you, Jenny.

Arketh

For you Beviin, the Assassin might be exactly what you want.  the low taper that gives A'den a problem would work in your favour, slimming the appearance of your head. A paulderon or something sitting on the top of the shoulder area could complete the look.

So, here's a break down of Boba, note I'm using this picture as a visual reference for the height proportions.  Please also note that these dimensions are based strictly off of Boba, not Jango or any other appearance of mandalorian armor.

With the bucket on, you should be about 6 heads tall (head meaning bucket.)  The bucket should be about half as wide or wider (most action figures and statues skew towards 3/4's) as you are at the beginning of the shoulder bells at it's base.  A full front-on bust from ESB shows that it edges somewhere between the two measurements.  When watching RotJ, however, helmet sizes get a bit screwier.  In ESB they consistently use the Hero helmet (with a few exceptions, where there's debate on whether they used one of Sandy's casts instead,) but for RotJ, they used the Hero cast AND two different stunt buckets, which all have slightly different proportions.  The stunt buckets ar a bit narrower and the one that uses a green visor (one is green, one is brown) appears a bit longer in the front as well.

TDH had a decent rundown of the different casts here with pictures.  Based on this and the photos of A'den, I'd say, personally (I am not an approval team member) that the Assassin seems on the smaller size in terms of width, though it has more to do with how it draws the eye rather than actual dimensions, as the Saz bucket is about the same width at the base.  It looks like the external dimensions of the Saz place it about an inch and a half or so wider, if that much.

It looks like the external dimensions of the Saz place it about an inch and a half or so wider, if that much.

Going off the fact a vod up here has a standard Saz (which, to my knowledge, was the base for the kryat, just had some killer sculpting add-ons) and i've compared the two, I  am almost entirely certain this is optical illusion. The two, in person, don't leave much to my mind as to which is smaller, but the assassin does look smaller.

i think that they may both be the same size width ways, however the dome on the assasin is wider, and the rest of the bucket kinda comes straight down, in a sleeker look. which is what the assasin is supposed to be.
Saz's bucket and most standard designed ones have a smaller dome, and reach that width by the rest of the helmet being more angled out.

like a rubies before and after a craft ring. straight down, then the standard soping

Dar'ramaanyc adol kyr'am. Ori'mirdala.
Immortality through Death. How ironic.

V2 Armour progress Thread: Here

Ha'sid

• Eater of worlds
Looks like I still need to get a 1:1 bucket....

damn

TK6189

Looks like I still need to get a 1:1 bucket....

damn

Go MDSB then, best bang for your buck!

TK6189's Prop Studio. tk6189sprops@gmail.com
See whats for sale right now here

Ha'sid

• Eater of worlds
Yeah, Its gonna be a min before I can even decide on a bucket right now.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
If you can save the buck-fifty or so for an M-DSB, I definitely recommend them. Thickest, sturdiest bucket around, and well worth the price from what I've seen. They even have an 'XL' size for those mandos with extra-large craniums. I'm definitely grabbing one of theirs when funds allow. No rush, of course, I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon ;D.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!