Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

HELMET SIZING AND BUYING TUTORIAL. Please read before asking all the answered Qs

• 354 Replies

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Zolar, that's definatlya  96 Don Post. Shape and paint are much different from the banned Rubies Boba.

It's definantly too small for you though. You'll need a 1:1. I may have an interest in that Don Post if you want to part with it though. I offer 3 helmet styles currently that are all 1:1's, I will have a 4th that will be too small for you soon and I am working on a Fett style 1:1 that will likely be ready before the end of August. Id be willing to do a trade with you if you're interested.

Capt... 1:1 helmet makers include Fettpride, MDSB, Forge Props, Jaiden Turrn Verda, AdamscottFM, I have 1:1's and there are a few others on Mercs here that float in and out.

Dar'manda

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 50 official invasions.
I was asking Zolar who was the maker of his 1:1.

Ok so the don post helmets are not banned,  Even though they are made with that soft plastic? I thought they where the same thing so its just been on a shelf.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
I was asking Zolar who was the maker of his 1:1.

Ok so the don post helmets are not banned,  Even though they are made with that soft plastic? I thought they where the same thing so its just been on a shelf.

It's a different mold. The Don Post is a much cleaner and nicer sculpt. The Jango 1 piece is a nice helmet too. The Boba is a mess!

Arashi

Well...seeing as how DSB is going on hiatus...getting one of his Merc L/XL helmets is going to be unlikely...whats my next best option in the same price point for a 1:1 helmet?

Hondo Karr

AdamscottFM TCW Deathwatch
ASOK's Fett Pride Boba Fett
Jaiden Turr'n Verda's Proto Fett
Saz Fett helmet, Celtic helmet or Krayt Dragon helmet
Forge Props Fett helmet
My Legacy V1, V2 or Open Season's Deathwatch

Im sure there are others but, I cna't think of anyone off hand.

edit:
Or mod an HBF.

Arashi

I am not a fan of the Deathwatch visors, and the Legacy buckets won't work since I am doing a modern kit, so that rules out AdamscottFM and yours.

I would prefer something 1 piece, with as little modification as possible, so the HBF and Protofett are out.

I would also prefer to go through a US based maker, as the shipping from the UK would cost almost as much as the helmet itself.

So, that leaves me with Asok and ForgeProps.  I emailed Asok to ask him about his helmets, I could only find a link to his run of cold cast Jango helmets, which I saw mentioned are about the same size as a DP95, which would probably be too small for me if I need a 1:1 bucket.  I may just have missed the thread about it if he has another, 1:1 helmet.  I do rather like the looks of the cold cast resin, so I may go that route once I hear back from him.

Thanks for the help.

actually you can mix a Legacy helmet with modern plates as they both fall under the modern era CRL's

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

Arashi

Not a big fan of the legacy helmets, even if I can use one.  I did a little more digging around over at TDH and found the thread on Asok's Boba Fett helmet, looks great. Plus filling in the classic Boba dent shouldn't be too difficult.  Once I hear back from him, thats probably the route I will go with.  Unless DSB wants to squeeze out one last helmet before his hiatus.  :)

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2011, 01:16 PM by Arashi » Logged

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
I frequent this thread a lot so don't doubt that I've done my research on this, but I've run into a snag.  I'm looking to upgrade.  I have a 2piece right now, but it just feels small to me.  It doesn't cover the back of my neck enough and I have to tilt it slightly to see out the visor correctly.  I'm a thin framed dude (somewhere between 5'10" and 5'11" 145lbs) and I know that a Don Post '95 or '96 would be my best bet, and a MDSB M/L would be even better, but I haven't seen a Don Post on sale in months (And I hear they need work, being made of vinyl and all) and, as we all know, DSB has a lot on his plate. I've made a couple WOF buckets and those seem to fit me pretty well, but I'm afraid I'll look like a bobble head in a 1:1. I've looked into Saz's 2piece sized buckets, but like I said, I feel like the 2piece is just slightly too small. Can someone with some insight on this give me some advice on what other options I have before I make a purchase?

EDIT: I've been looking into Asok's CC Jango over on TDH. Does anyone have anything to say about that one size wise? I would imagine a 1:1 Jango is the same size as a 1:1 Boba, right?

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2011, 11:22 PM by Ref Al'drann » Logged

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Not nescesarily, Temmura was shorter than Jeremy Bulloch, so the Jango helmet was scaled down to preserve the proportions. Most prop scaling is to the actual movie prop, so a 1:1 Jango would be smaller than a 1:1 Boba, how much smaller, I can't say. I will invoke the name of the allmighty Falin, so he will arrive and shower us with his wisdom. However, he did metion the Adamscottfm clone wars bucket, it IS 1:1 Boba, but has a sleeker profile, so it might suit your needs.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Hondo Karr

The ASOK Jango is 1:1 scale for Temuera and is much smaller. In fact the the Rubies Jango 2 piece is the same size (the story goes it was made from a slightly modded casting of one of the movie helmets, which explains other than some of the toy feartures why it's such a better sculpt than anything Ruies has ever produced.)

I would definatly say you're needing the Don Post sized helmet.  As for the M-DSB M/L, it's actually a hair smaller than the Don Post so, it may not be the best fit for you. Additonally to that, M-DSB is now permanantly disbanded. M will not be allowed to sell on Mercs. So, until DSB's life settles down and he's able to recast his own work, the helmets are effectivly off the market save what's already out there.

I know finding the Don Posts is starting to get harder and harder. They are popping up on ebay less frequently and here even less than that. I think between completist collectors and costumers, the supply of them is getting diminished.

One thing you could try if youre unable to find one would be to print the WoF templates at 90% instead of 100%, as there's approximatly a 10% size difference. Then once it's assembled, you can play with going up or down in size.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
I will invoke the name of the allmighty Falin, so he will arrive and shower us with his wisdom.

See, It worked!

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Thanks a lot, Falin. That helped a ton!

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
I know from fiddling with templates in my lead-up to scratchbuilding that the Jango helmet is 99% the size of the Boba helmet. I still have trouble believing that, but the math works. All of the measurements are only that much smaller, but that still manages to result in a visibly smaller bucket.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Phelan Jusik

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Have to say that reading through this thread for the last couple of hours is mind blowing.  Questions about sizing and what not can be confusing.  Looks like I will try to scratch build my bucket first and go from there as well as keeping an eye out for mdsb coming later on.  Also helps just lookin at all the completed buckets for ideas and such.  I do have to agree that any build takes time even when you have to slowly purchase all the parts to make one.  I give credit to WoF for all the templates I have looked at and am lookin forward to working on them.  Correct me if I am wrong but with a scratch built you can adjust sizing and layout as you progress with the build. 

M5: #22
B.E.A.R.D.S. #052

Mirdala

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
I'm getting ready to order my buy'ce and I am needing a little help with the sizing. The one that I have on in the picture is an M-DSB M/L (Mercenary?) that belongs to one of our group. I think I look a little bobble-heady because I'm so small:

(Please note that she hasn't mounted the T-visor yet, which is why it looks a little wonky in the photo.)

Would a Rubies 2-piece be a better fit? If so I was planning on ordering one from Saz.

Thanks for your help!

OM // 2011-Present
Art Team // 2015-2018
PR Team // 2016-2018
Ruus'alor // 2012
Ver'alor // 2012, 2016-2017
Alor'ad // 2012-2014
Archive Team // 2014-2018
Tech Team // 2017-2018

Hondo Karr

There's alot of deformation to the mandibles and T on that helmet... sure it's a M-DSB? That's very rare with the resin they used. I see you said the visor isn't installed but, that kind of misshaping still isn't typical.

Anyway, back on topic...

As for size, yeah even in armor it's going to be much too large for you.

A 2 piece Rubes Jango sized helmet most likely your playing field. That said, you may even be small enough to get away with the 1 piece Rubies Jango Deluxe.

If you opt for the 2 piece sized you have 3 options... Saz's 2 piece sized helmet, ASOK's Jango Fett helmet (it's 1:1 scale made from a mold of a movie prop helmet. It's the same size as the 2 piece Jango from Rubies) or the 2 piece itself.

Mirdala

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Thanks for the help.

I have found the info on Saz, but I'm searching and can't seem to find quite what I'm looking for as far as what ASOK has available or how to get in touch with them.

Still looking though...

???

OM // 2011-Present
Art Team // 2015-2018
PR Team // 2016-2018
Ruus'alor // 2012
Ver'alor // 2012, 2016-2017
Alor'ad // 2012-2014
Archive Team // 2014-2018
Tech Team // 2017-2018
Here is a link to Asok's thread in the Trading Station. He isn't offering what you are needing, but you can see his work and then PM him.
FP Budget Boba helmet in COLD CAST

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way
Im new and am extremely confused as to where exactly the trading forum is.

"Im sorry, I cant hear you over the blaster hole in your face."

Jerek Darr

Im new and am extremely confused as to where exactly the trading forum is.

Click the "forum" link right under the mercs skull at the top of the page. scroll down and you will find a link titled 'trading staition'.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Hondo Karr

ASOK's old Jango thread may have vanished but, if you contact him via email (preferred) or PM he can provide you pix. I know there are pix on TDH and I think the BHG. He got his hands on I believe it was either a damaged mold or helmet... Im thinking mold... from LFL that was used to make the Jango movie helmets. He made a casting, cleaned it up and made a new mold. So, short of a pull direct from the original intact mold, it is as close to screen accurate Jango as one is likely to get.

Thanks alot!

"Im sorry, I cant hear you over the blaster hole in your face."

Barbarossa Kad

• Keeper of the Boomstick
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
I wear a size 8 fitted hat. The one size fits all hats are to small does anyone know if any of the ones discused would fit me or am I going to have to build me one from scratch. I just measured my head with a ribbon tape measure it is right at  25in around.

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2012, 10:35 PM by green mando » Logged
There is a method to my madness.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Willy Wonka

Hondo Karr

Tough to say. My larger 1:1 helmets (which are actually a tad larger than a typical 1:1) are about 9-10" deep from visor to back and 8.5-9" wide from ear to ear (those are interior measurements) with exterior dome circumferences of 28-29" and face lengths of 8-9". Those are pretty big. The two with indented cheeks, the cheek drops in about 1". I also have a couple smaller buckets, 1 a small end of 1:1 with deep cheeks and one abotu the size of a Rubies 2 piece. Those would likely be much too small for you.

From personal experience of owning their helmets, I can tell you that Saz's 1:1 Fett and 1:1 varient helmets are nice and big and roomy and would likely fit you and Gypsyboy's 1:1 Fett helmet is as well.

Jaiden Turr'n Verda in Floriada makes some cool and cost effective ABS vac formed helmet kits. I havent seen one in person but, Jaiden is a good sized cat and I know he built them to fit him. He could offer more details on their size but I would be inlcined based on an educated guess, to believe they would fit you.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!